Apple confirms some Apple Watch orders shipping out earlier than estimated

Comments

• Reply 21 of 60
    jsewelljsewell Posts: 12member
    Oddly, the shipments aren't being processed in the same order they were submitted. My watch, a 38mm Aluminum with Pink Band is stuck at "Processing Items", despite the fact that I ordered it within 90 seconds of midnight. Others who ordered the exact same watch many minutes after I did are already showing "Preparing for Shipment" as their status.
  • Reply 22 of 60
    Hopefully many of us will be pleasantly surprised come Friday ????. I was told that apple is strictly coordinating deliveries so it aligns with the April 24 launch date and deliveries are being coordinated where customers live in proximity to their warehouses. Hope you enjoy your watch.
  • Reply 23 of 60
    This really bothers me because mine is supposed to be delivered on 4/24 - 5/8 and it is still processing. Apple needs to get this straightened out soon or I will cancel my order. This is ridiculous.
  • Reply 24 of 60
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member

Apple is doing the best they can to manage the situation. People need to relax. 

• Reply 25 of 60
    jodyzjodyz Posts: 12member
    I don't suppose there's any chance our watches are already in the U.S. before they give us shipping info. Otherwise, there is no way my watch, which is preparing for shipment, will arrive before late next week
  • Reply 26 of 60
    Yes it was poorly underestimated in terms of quantity but there is usually excitement over a new product that becomes coupled with anxiety if the launch doesn't go according to plan and people have certain expectations but on the other hand yes it is a bit much for people to worry so much over a device and I hope apple will learn from this.
  • Reply 27 of 60

Ordered at 3:03A (Eastern) US on the 10th and just went to ‘preparing to ship’ also $ taken out

Ordered 42mm SG Sports w/ Black band

• Reply 28 of 60
    rmb0037rmb0037 Posts: 142member
    For those who's status says "preparing for shipment"

From Cult of Mac,

Go to UPS.com’s tracking page
    Select Track by Reference on the left side
    Enter your 10 digit phone number in the Shipment Reference field
    Manually change Shipment Date Range to 4/23/15 by typing it in
    Hit Track

If the tracking info doesn’t show up, try changing the shipment date range to 4/24/15, 4/25/15 or some other dates. Other reddit users have pointed out that you need to use the phone number associated with the credit card it was charged to.

It's hit or miss, but it would be interesting to see where other's are at with this! The shipping label has been created for mine.
  • Reply 29 of 60
    ecatsecats Posts: 272member

My personal experience in mass production(1M-3M per launch) can give you some insights into your estimate/how production works:

These kinds of sudden changes in availability are in a small part cancelled orders, but mostly the result of Apple working their supply chain to better allocate/configure stock to the pre-orders. As time passes the production estimates become more accurate, thus it's best not to rely upon your order estimate drastically changing in the short term, Apple updates timings based on production.

The time it takes for Apple to fulfil your order is also subject to many factors other than the time you placed you order. This is due to the wide variety of housing, material and band options available, combined with the popularity of each. Thus two orders placed at the same time can have drastically different delivery schedules, even if they only differ by one option.

Apple haven't specified how they're moving through the orders after the initial stock allocation. Logic suggests that they'll allocate additional resources to the most popular options (i.e aluminium at 2/3rds.) Conveniently aluminium is also the easiest/quickest to produce. This gives rise that aluminium models are likely to see their delivery dates drop more rapidly than other models.

At this stage if the delivery estimate is vague it reflects that apple have not yet allocated your watch to a production seat, keep in mind that the timings given reflect the maximum estimated wait time, not the minimum. Apple have the experience to ramp accordingly to ensure that you get your products faster than the estimate.

• Reply 30 of 60
    sacto joesacto joe Posts: 895member
    ecats wrote: »
    My personal experience in mass production(1M-3M per launch) can give you some insights into your estimate/how production works:

These kinds of sudden changes in availability are in a small part cancelled orders, but mostly the result of Apple working their supply chain to better allocate/configure stock to the pre-orders. As time passes the production estimates become more accurate, thus it's best not to rely upon your order estimate drastically changing in the short term, Apple updates timings based on production.

The time it takes for Apple to fulfil your order is also subject to many factors other than the time you placed you order. This is due to the wide variety of housing, material and band options available, combined with the popularity of each. Thus two orders placed at the same time can have drastically different delivery schedules, even if they only differ by one option.

Apple haven't specified how they're moving through the orders after the initial stock allocation. Logic suggests that they'll allocate additional resources to the most popular options (i.e aluminium at 2/3rds.) Conveniently aluminium is also the easiest/quickest to produce. This gives rise that aluminium models are likely to see their delivery dates drop more rapidly than other models.

At this stage if the delivery estimate is vague it reflects that apple have not yet allocated your watch to a production seat, keep in mind that the timings given reflect the maximum estimated wait time, not the minimum. Apple have the experience to ramp accordingly to ensure that you get your products faster than the estimate.
    Lucid and informative. A great post!
  • Reply 31 of 60
    Quote:

Originally Posted by schlack View Post

wow from june to april is pretty huge gap. they must have done some serious underestimating

Reading between the lines of what Apple has said previously, they were originally going to have some in store stock on launch day. Now they are not doing that and so they can ship out initial store stock to customers.

• Reply 32 of 60
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    I was ready, mouse and credit card in hand, but still missed the launch window because the Apple website was down (probably due to the server getting hammered). By the time I thought to try the iOS App all of the day-1 stock for the model I wanted was completely unavailable.
  • Reply 33 of 60
    My order status changed to "preparing for shipment" earlier today. Green sport 42mm ordered 12;15am April 10. previously set to deliver May 13-27...very happy.
  • Reply 34 of 60
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,035member
    So why is my 12:03 am 42mm Space Gray ?WATCH SPORT order promised for April 24-May 8 still in the Pricesing Order Stage while the Preparing for Shipment example of the same order isn't promised til mid-late May???????????????
  • Reply 35 of 60
    multimedia wrote: »
    So why is my 12:03 am 42mm Space Gray ?WATCH SPORT order promised for April 24-May 8 still in the Pricesing Order Stage while the Preparing for Shipment example of the same order isn't promised til mid-late May???????????????

Different distributor or different distance from distributor?
  • Reply 36 of 60
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ECats View Post

Its also possible that they had allocated some production to stores for may and those were simply all allocated to pre-orders (this has been rumored).  I'd expect links and high end leather to still be heavily constrained for may (since I've get the feeling those are constrained by the production facilities and manpower to make them more than anything else).

• Reply 37 of 60

But as of 2330 (11:30pm) still does not show shipping to new england

I think with all the new people at apple Cooperate, they hare having trouble

• Reply 39 of 60
    mrboba1mrboba1 Posts: 276member

I'll be very interested to see how far my June shipping quote will drop.

I always fully expected it to come in May sometime, so I'll be waiting anxiously to see. I got the 42mm Sport, white band. That's a model I expect to easily beat its June time frame.

(I ordered on Sunday the 12th)

• Reply 40 of 60
    Best of luck to you in receiving your order in a reasonable timeframe, Apple set me up with UPS Express Saver which has a commitment of delivering by next day which is today but there is also the question of the launch date which is Friday so I don't know if my watch could come today or Friday or if apple had issued UPS special instructions which is most probable and which has yet to be seen. I hope you enjoy your watch and hope the wait isn't too much longer. ??