Comcast will end efforts to acquire Time Warner Cable - report

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    mrshowmrshow Posts: 164member

Yah! And with the recent FCC ruling we'll soon have local competition. Obama FTW!

Now we just need him to get on the correct side of TPP. That passing will be a blemish on an otherwise excellent Presidency.  

• Reply 22 of 35
    mechanicmechanic Posts: 805member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MrShow View Post

Yah! And with the recent FCC ruling we'll soon have local competition. Obama FTW!

Now we just need him to get on the correct side of TPP. That passing will be a blemish on an otherwise excellent Presidency.  

This is the same Obama that let comcast buy nbc/universal lol

• Reply 23 of 35
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Now let's see some way to increase competition between providers and end the virtual monopolies and get internet service on par with Scandinavia. It should be easy to pay for 'internet only' and not get screwed.
  • Reply 24 of 35
    mchumm3r wrote: »
    Remember how cash rich AOL bought (they said merge) TimeWarner and eventually spun off AOL online services - wisely moving their money out just in time of the less profitable business? I wonder how long it will be for Comcast - which bought NBC/Universal - to dump its troublesome cable company and take their money to the NBC/Universal side? It's the logical business move.

I'd like to see the new players like Netflix buy the best parts of NBC. There were some great shows that would thrive in a modern delivery system like Netflix.
  • Reply 25 of 35
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Effect on competition: zero.

Because cable companies are local monopolies in the markets they serve.

Which is why the Cable monopolies need to be fully regulated as utilities, and the last 100' opened up to competition.

• Reply 26 of 35
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    What the hell were they thinking trying to get away with this? This industry needs a good competitive shakeup and they need to be stripped of their exclusive contracts in metro areas. The U.S. is falling way behind the rest of the developed world in Internet access and speeds.
  • Reply 27 of 35
    eric44eric44 Posts: 6member
    Awesome! Now there won't be double horrendous service
  • Reply 28 of 35

Glad that's over.

Now Time Warner will need a streaming strategy.

• Reply 29 of 35
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ds92jz View Post

Anyone else short sell Comcast and TW?!

Both stocks were up slightly today.

• Reply 30 of 35
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member

It's not that the merger wouldn't have been a bad thing. It's because Comcast didn't want the DOJ digging around in it's shitty business practices.

• Reply 31 of 35
    bdkennedy1 wrote: »
    It's not that the merger wouldn't have been a bad thing. It's because Comcast didn't want the DOJ digging around in it's shitty business practices.

Perhaps they still should dig.
  • Reply 32 of 35
    Glad that's over.
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">Now Time Warner will need a streaming strategy.</span>

Sell out to Netflix and join the 21st Century.
  • Reply 33 of 35
    jrobjrob Posts: 49member
    almondroca wrote: »
    Go, Stuart Smalley, go.

Daily Denunciation with Stuart Smalley

"You're greedy enough, dishonest enough, and doggonit, people hate you"
  • Reply 34 of 35

You were quick to forget the NBCUniversal buyout and all the other varying levels of corruption the mighty sword ignores. Now, I've heard some really stupefying, facepalm-worthy things in my time but that, sir, is a quadruple-palmer. I had to actually call someone into the room to help perform it, I've not bothered telling him yet why but I'm sure it will elicit a chuckle or twelve.