Shipping times for Apple's 15" MacBook Pro with discrete GPU slip to 2-3 weeks, point to refresh

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 22
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

If by "impending" you mean fall, I don't know.  It doesn't make any sense that Apple would update the MBP and then see Intel release Broadwell quad core a week later.  I get the impression that there was a communication breakdown between the two companies.  If not, then I'd say a few things are possible:  

I'm not entirely sure what they'll do this time. Apple doesn't typically update more than once every 6 months. This was a slightly more significant update than the typical .2 ghz spec bump. The discrete gpu model gained 5K support, and both obtained new trackpads. That makes me think they don't plan to make further updates until next year. It's odd though, because Broadwell quad cores were just  released. Intel would have shelved that release if they were almost ready to ship equivalent skylake variants.

• Reply 22 of 22
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hmm View Post

I'm not entirely sure what they'll do this time. Apple doesn't typically update more than once every 6 months. This was a slightly more significant update than the typical .2 ghz spec bump. The discrete gpu model gained 5K support, and both obtained new trackpads. That makes me think they don't plan to make further updates until next year. It's odd though, because Broadwell quad cores were just  released. Intel would have shelved that release if they were almost ready to ship equivalent skylake variants.

I know, and agree.  It's really puzzling.  I was surprised when they went with Haswell, and even more surprised when Intel announced quad core Broadwell like a week later.  

What bugs me is that Apple is charging a real premium for these machines, which are now using an architecture that is nearly two generations old.   It's $2,000 for the base model, and that only comes with 256GB of storage.  I'd want at least 512, and would probably just go for the faster processor and graphics card anyway if I'm dropping that kind of money.   Were these Broadwell machines, I'd probably pull the trigger.  But not right now.  I'll just wait for the next update.