Roundup: The best and most interesting third-party apps for your new Apple Watch

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited May 2015
With newly-delivered Apple Watch units now on the wrists of the lucky, users will undoubtedly be looking to try out the best launch-day apps for their latest purchase. AppleInsider offers a roundup of some prominent and essential launch-day apps, divided by category.

AppleInsider and Partners

AppleInsider

B&H Photo

Amazon

Messaging & Social Networking

Twitter

WeChat

OkCupid Dating

Slack

Meetup

Fitness

Strava Running and Cycling

Misfit

RunKeeper

FitStar Yoga

Runtastic

Travel & Weather

Dark Sky

Transit

SPG: Starwood Hotels & Resorts

Uber

Expedia

Eating & Nutrition

Epicurious

Green Kitchen

Yummly

Postmates

NYT Cooking

Shopping & Restaurants

Foursquare

OpenTable

Chipotle

News & Utilities

Cufflink

Shazam

Calculator+

New York Times

Flipboard

Games

Runeblade

Trivia Crack

Spy Watch

Rules!

Watch Quest

Sports

theScore

ESPN

MLB At Bat

NBA Game Time

Yahoo Fantasy Sports

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19

Some look good, but looks like a lot of crap in there as well.

• Reply 2 of 19
    adrayvenadrayven Posts: 460member
    Some of these are going to kill the battery.. from 18 hours down to 2 hours. lol

Especially GAMES
  • Reply 3 of 19
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member

TL;DR

It's basically useless

• Reply 4 of 19
    A Chipotle app that helps me shop at Chipotle made your Best list?

The selection of day-one apps is *that* bad?
  • Reply 5 of 19
    Thisi s mondo sad, folks. What we are seeing is the extremely limited capability of the instrument itself. And, there is nothing the instrument does that the iPhone doesn't do
    way better because of size, visibility, and all the other reasons we all know too well.

I think what we are seeing is "the King's new clothes" all over again.

Indeed the battery usage will diminish according to usage but I honestly cannot see playing a game on a wrist-based instrument. AND, how easy is the screen to see in broad daylight?!!?

This is exceptionally disappointing.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Watchaware put up video of Jony Ive and Marc Newson at the Condé Nast Luxury Conference. It's easy to tell why Ive is never on stage at keynotes. Public speaking is clearly not his forte. But one thing I found interesting was his comment that ?Watch wasn't about trying to design a better mechanical watch or compete with mechanical watch brands but because they thought the wrist was a good place to bring technology to. Yes in a way Apple is competing for the same wrist but if you compare ?Watch to Android Wear competitors you can see they're the ones slavishly trying to copy traditional watches.

http://watchaware.com/post/11182/video-jony-ive-and-marc-newson-on-the-apple-watch-with-suzy-menkes
  • Reply 7 of 19
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member

I used my Equinox App and Starbucks App successfully today. I am SLAYYYED!

• Reply 8 of 19
    Here's a first impression from a MacRumors poster:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1872511
    [QUOTE]Whoa! I am SLAYED by this AppleWatch way more than I could've ever reasonably expected. I used it everywhere. To swipe in at the gym, at starbucks, in a cab and at dwayne reade. I could swipe through songs without lugging my phone out and I also was texting people seemlessly using Siri. Somehow she works better on the watch than she does the phone. [/QUOTE]
  • Reply 9 of 19
    adonissmu wrote: »
    I used my Equinox App and Starbucks App successfully today. I am SLAYYYED!

Haha I just posted your mini-review from MacRumors. :D
  • Reply 10 of 19

That Pump Fakers baseball team is really impressive to get 10 HRs but only have 8 RBI

• Reply 11 of 19
    [URL=http://lark.com/?referer=ai_2]Lark Chat[/URL] works really well!
  • Reply 12 of 19
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    Thank the heavens I can finally have a calculator watch.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    mobiusmobius Posts: 380member
    fastasleep wrote: »
    Thank the heavens I can finally have a calculator watch.
    The Casio ones from the 80s were the dog's bollox! Mine lasted many years on the same battery before it died. I do believe Marty McFly and Doc Brown wore them too in the Back to the Future trilogies. :D

It's funny - even though they went forwards in time to this year in the second movie, there's not a single Apple Watch to be seen. Plenty of in-car fax machines though! Haha
  • Reply 14 of 19
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mobius View Post

The Casio ones from the 80s were the dog's bollox! Mine lasted many years on the same battery before it died. I do believe Marty McFly and Doc Brown wore them too in the Back to the Future trilogies. image

It's funny - even though they went forwards in time to this year in the second movie, there's not a single Apple Watch to be seen. Plenty of in-car fax machines though! Haha

The future is so hard this side of it, much easier from the other! (Signed doc Emm.)

• Reply 15 of 19
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member

I counted 570 Apple Watch apps in the iTunes App Store, so I have a feeling that this grouping isn't necessarily the best or the most interesting.

• Reply 16 of 19
    Thanks for the review. I guess there are some apps missing. For me the watch is perfect for all kind of tracking apps. for example counters - https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/count-plus/id985225422 or lifestyle tracker - https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/atracker-daily-task-time-tracking/id522008611 But most of the apps - esp. games - I tested are going to kill the battery.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    On the Watch anouncement article in September one of my complaints was that they announced things the iPhone could already do. Everyone flamed me for it and here we are.....

I really hope this changes fast and I want Apple to succeed.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Watchaware put up video of Jony Ive and Marc Newson at the Condé Nast Luxury Conference. It's easy to tell why Ive is never on stage at keynotes. Public speaking is clearly not his forte. But one thing I found interesting was his comment that ?Watch wasn't about trying to design a better mechanical watch or compete with mechanical watch brands but because they thought the wrist was a good place to bring technology to. Yes in a way Apple is competing for the same wrist but if you compare ?Watch to Android Wear competitors you can see they're the ones slavishly trying to copy traditional watches.

http://watchaware.com/post/11182/video-jony-ive-and-marc-newson-on-the-apple-watch-with-suzy-menkes

The problem is, it looks EXACTLY like a traditional watch, which was a HUGE letdown for me coming from Apple.

The crown just sealed it for me. Those have been on watches for over a century.

• Reply 19 of 19
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    cali wrote: »

The problem is, it looks EXACTLY like a traditional watch, which was a HUGE letdown for me coming from Apple.

The crown just sealed it for me. Those have been on watches for over a century.

Sometimes the old way is the best way. I'm sure you still use buttons, and zippers to fasten your clothes.