Earnings preview: Wall Street expects 57M iPhones shipped in a record March quarter for Apple

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    dcgoodcgoo Posts: 280member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by eightzero View Post

AI posted a NASDAQ pic with the article, but of course AAPL is now a Dow component.

Being part of the Dow, has nothing to do with what exchange the stock is traded on.  Apple is still traded on the NASDAQ.

• Reply 22 of 27
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member

What he is talking about is his own financial position, something nobody else can presume to know about, let alone, question.

At the point I "questioned", he had made a simple statement (see below) that didn't explain what % of his holdings AAPL represented. " ...If you are not too heavy ..." is a bit vague. Hence I asked for clarification. I have no argument with the answer to my question when I read it in fact I totally agree that is sound for a low risk taking approach. As I said, I continue to buy AAPL and I am in a more aggressive strategy.

"Good time to buy if you are not too heavy in Apple.

$150 price target for this year.

Right now I have $45k in Apple stock so I'm too heavy to buy anymore shares.
    "
  • Reply 23 of 27
    sog35 wrote: »
    My general rule is I don't invest more than 20% of my investments in a single stock.  

I did break my general rule in 2013 when the price was ridiculously cheap.  Since then I've sold some shares with nice profits.

What percentage of your investments are in Apple?

Congrats on owning $1 million in Apple stock.  I was too young to invest in Apple before the iPhone.

Way too high ! :) More like 50%. But time is running out for me sooner than you. :D
  • Reply 24 of 27
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Way too high ! image More like 50%. But time is running out for me sooner than you. image

Our exposure to AAPL (and holdings) seem similar. I am taking a wild guess that our ages aren't too far apart either. Not questioning your investment strategy (certainly not my place to do that), but IMO a 50% concentration in one stock seems like something to avoid and certainly not to increase though additional purchases. I've been unwinding my AAPL position for years now and moving the proceeds to other investments, mainly ETFs. I've already won the lottery. Rung the bell. Grabbed the brass ring. As a matter of curiosity, when are you going to get that feeling, do you suppose?

• Reply 25 of 27

Our exposure to AAPL (and holdings) seem similar. I am taking a wild guess that our ages aren't too far apart either. Not questioning your investment strategy (certainly not my place to do that), but IMO a 50% concentration in one stock seems like something to avoid and certainly not to increase though additional purchases. I've been unwinding my AAPL position for years now and moving the proceeds to other investments, mainly ETFs. I've already won the lottery. Rung the bell. Grabbed the brass ring. As a matter of curiosity, when are you going to get that feeling, do you suppose?

Very hard to say. I am more worried about external factors damaging the market than Apple's risk of failure. We'd sell other shares before AAPL to be honest.
  • Reply 26 of 27
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Very hard to say. I am more worried about external factors damaging the market than Apple's risk of failure. We'd sell other shares before AAPL to be honest.

Basing this just on what you've said, and of course what I know about myself.

Anyhow, the issue is one of asset allocation rather than any particular view of any given stock. Diversifying assets is the best shock absorber against external factors ever devised. Trying to guess right is the worst. The math is all in, it's really just a matter of knowing about it.