Apple TV gains NBC Sports Live Extra channel amidst NHL playoffs, Kentucky Derby

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited May 2015
Exclusive NBC Sports content, including the NHL playoffs and this week's running of the Kentucky Derby, is now available on the Apple TV with a new dedicated channel.

Monday's launch of the new NBC Sports channel comes during the first round of the National Hockey League's playoffs. It's also just a few days before Saturday's 141st Kentucky Derby.

NBC and its family of networks, including the NBC Sports Network, are the exclusive home of both the NHL and the Triple Crown.

NBC is also the home of NASCAR's Sprint Cup Series. And when the National Football League is in season, the network is also home to the weekly Sunday Night Football matchup.

The addition of NBC content is noteworthy because its parent company, Comcast, has a history of being at odds with Apple and its own media efforts.

Apple is said to be working on a new Apple TV set-top box and a new streaming subscription TV service that could launch as soon as this fall. Early reports have suggested that negotiations with Comcast have not gone as well as Apple would like.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Nice. Keep that good news rolling in just in time for the call after hours. Also, Comcast should be in a much worse bargaining position now...better for Apple.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    ceek74ceek74 Posts: 324member
    Wait, so I still need a cable subscription to use the app? BRILLIANT!!! F Comcast, F NBC.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    krreagankrreagan Posts: 218member
    A point like you still need to sign in to a paid account, reduces the utility of this to zero! Should have been mentioned in the article!!!
    Time to "hide" the useless icon.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    dtm1212dtm1212 Posts: 11member
    Great Apple - being a cord cutter over five years ago - based on using the original AppleTV no less and the consent of two teens in the house (TV sucks). And buying every AppleTV since - Apple still keeps putting on channels and the STUPID contact channel owners still only let people watch if they are paying a cable monthly fee!

So another AppleTV app to hide - but I still only have a few apps on the home screen of the AppleTV.

Is AppleTV becoming irrelevant? Unless you still pay a cable company, in my case 5 years ago - $104 per month? We buy or rent still on AppleTV . But i laugh my butt off as channel apps are added, especially the "FREE" networks ABC, NBC & CBS only want people to see their content with a cable subscription.

HBO wants $15 per month? Netflix $9 per - these companies & Apple are actually making paying your cable company just the one fee look easier for a user.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ceek74 View Post

Wait, so I still need a cable subscription to use the app? BRILLIANT!!! F Comcast, F NBC.

Accurately, if not eloquently said. I'm assuming you do need the paid subscription to access the AppleTV "channel" via an "authorization" step.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by krreagan View Post

Should have been mentioned in the article!!!

Much as I like AI, this is a major error.

Not sure what "Exclusive NBC Sports content...." that leads off means. Only on AppleTV? Only on NBC? Only on NBC's cable lineup?

• Reply 6 of 22
    ajbdtc826ajbdtc826 Posts: 190member
    FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Reply 7 of 22
    The biggest thing this changes is that it eliminates the need to AirPlay NBC LiveExtra which is a really nice improvement over relying on AirPlay during heavy data streams.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    alexmitalexmit Posts: 112member
    In other news%u2026 Comcast gets wind of increasing interest in Apple TV and deprecates everything that was available for streaming just one month ago.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member

I find it funny that people complain about needing a cable subscription. In the near future, you are going to get your wish of every station being available without a cable/sat subscription. Then you're going to have to manage 20 or 30 individual channels each with their own account and probably pay more in total than you ever paid for your cable package.

• Reply 10 of 22
    mike1 wrote: »
    I find it funny that people complain about needing a cable subscription. In the near future, you are going to get your wish of every station being available without a cable/sat subscription. Then you're going to have to manage 20 or 30 individual channels each with their own account and probably pay more in total than you ever paid for your cable package.

I just wish a digital signal tuner was built-in to the iPad. It would be cool to watch local TV on an iPad with no cell service and no cable.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    So much for Apple and Comcast fighting.
  • Reply 12 of 22

Does this mean I can watch Formula One on my AppleTV?

• Reply 13 of 22

Pleeeeeze Apple, upgrade and improve the AppleTV UI before adding still more "channels".  The Apple TV screens are a mess.

• Reply 14 of 22

YAWN!  Instead give us Amazon Prime Instant Video!  *rolls eyes*.  

Next, UltraFlix would be nice to see too.  

• Reply 15 of 22
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

So much for Apple and Comcast fighting.

Guess I might believe that when I see Comcast's Xfinity TV Go on ATV, until then...

There are also issues where Comcast seems to block ATV HBO access to those who should be able to activate it, where HBO streaming works fine via the Xfinity TV Go streaming website or iOS apps, but you cannot get to activate the same on ATV HBO with your Comcast cable authentication...  

• Reply 16 of 22
    tjstjs Posts: 31member

Check this out:

"Watch live TV on the iPad and iPhone anywhere you go"...

https://www.elgato.com/en/eyetv/eyetv-mobile-lightning-connector ;

I don't know how well it works, but it's an interesting product. 

Edit: Oops... upon further inspection this product is not available in the US.

• Reply 17 of 22
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    tjs wrote: »
    Check this out:

https://www.elgato.com/en/eyetv/eyetv-mobile-lightning-connector 

Stop being cheap and get a Slingbox
  • Reply 18 of 22
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tjs View Post

Check this out:

https://www.elgato.com/en/eyetv/eyetv-mobile-lightning-connector ;

Yeah, what's up with that? 

"Product not available in your country."

• Reply 19 of 22
    Must be a slow roll out, it's not showing on any of my Apple TVs.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    maccaguy wrote: »
    Must be a slow roll out, it's not showing on any of my Apple TVs.

Same here. I have 2 Apple TVs and have yet to see the channel...