Data suggests just 376,000 Apple Watch preorders delivered over launch weekend

Comments

• Reply 21 of 52
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Interdyne View Post

I have to give Slice credit for having the guts to make this call only hours before Apple might announce the actual number that shipped over the weekend. They could lose all credibility or be revealed to be a terrific research firm in about 2 hours....

Today's quarterly report is for the period ending March 31st, which ends before even the pre-order date for Apple watches. I wouldn't expect any quantitative data concerning Apple watch orders or shipments to be released today.

• Reply 22 of 52
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    mstone wrote: »
    What makes you think Apple will announce any numbers for ?Watch?

Exactly - they already said they would not... The only reason I see them doing it is that they blew the doors off ALL expectations. The problem is there is a real supply shortage so any numbers are pretty meaningless. Keep the focus on it just being a fantastic new offering with high demand and low supply
    adonissmu wrote: »
    WOW! Hard to argue that Apple didn't drop the ball on this. How is only 22% of pre-orders fulfilled. I think Apple need to go back and re-assess how they managed this launch.

What absolute nonsense! With all the posts you have do you really understand Apple? Or the products? This is THE most sophisticated device they have ever launched from a design, engineering and manufacturing standpoint. Do you not realize this? It is a full computer on your wrist with all day battery life! Longer even than the original iPhone. The miniaturization is an amazing accomplishment, and the fact that production is slow ramping up is absolutely no surprise, and absolutely no reason for such a ridiculous and negative comment.
  • Reply 23 of 52
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

Today's quarterly report is for the period ending March 31st, which ends before even the pre-order date for Apple watches. I wouldn't expect any quantitative data concerning Apple watch orders or shipments to be released today.

That doesn't mean they won't comment on it. They will definitely get questions about it on the conference call.

• Reply 24 of 52
    gregqgregq Posts: 62member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by poksi View Post

Loads of bollocks....again...

A little less BOLLOCKS talk and more talk about how Apple is filling orders really quickly...

• Reply 25 of 52
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Most likely all they will say in the call today will be along the lines of the watches being well received or beyond our wildest expectations. ????
  • Reply 26 of 52
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member

Ridiculous. Apple sold out their shippable inventory almost immediately. You really think Apple released this product with 376K units on hand? Pfffffft. I call B.S.

• Reply 27 of 52
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    I think that Apple made no announcement is kinda telling in itself. For a product launch they've never been less than forthcoming about how successful a particular launch has been. Perhaps the answer is "cautiously successful". Not a flop, but likely not the response they were expecting.
  • Reply 28 of 52
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by djsherly View Post

I think that Apple made no announcement is kinda telling in itself. For a product launch they've never been less than forthcoming about how successful a particular launch has been. Perhaps the answer is "cautiously successful". Not a flop, but likely not the response they were expecting.

How can the product be successful if they can't get it out to people. 

• Reply 29 of 52
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member

Whiners and iHaters are out in full-force in this thread... again.

Nowhere did Apple announce any official numbers.  Whatever is being reported is - as usual - being guessed by wannabe-experts and scooped up by trolls.  Does this cycle sound familiar?

I figure if anyone is being played like a violin, it's the trolls.  They preach, then scurry to the back of the room after being proven wrong at the end.  Rinse and repeat.

Apple will have sold more watches in one month than that Android trash has ever sold since day one.

• Reply 30 of 52
    djsherly wrote: »

No, it is not telling. It's standard operating procedure for new product launches.
  • Reply 31 of 52
    jackansijackansi Posts: 116member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I just want to know what idiots are allowing this company to analyze their receipts.

Actually they could have paid the major credit card companies for the data.  They do sell that kind of stuff to "research" and advertising firms.  Check your credit card agreement, it is in most of them that you agree to allow this kind of stuff when you use the card.

• Reply 32 of 52
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Pretty skeptical about their numbers. My UPS driver had delivered 30 sport watches by 1PM on launch day, and I got the impression it was a similar number of Stainless watches, although their package shape was less distinctive.
  • Reply 33 of 52
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    No, it is not telling. It's standard operating procedure for new product launches.
    Like iPad?
    https://www.apple.com/pr/library/2010/04/05Apple-Sells-Over-300-000-iPads-First-Day.htm
  • Reply 34 of 52
    dcgoodcgoo Posts: 280member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by eightzero View Post

Here's a data point: This morning, my order status changed from "June" to 3-5 weeks for a 38mm grey/black sport, and 4-6 weeks for a 42mm grey/black sport. The 42mm ordered 4/10 about 8 hours after orders opened; the 38mm 4/11 about 36 hours in.

Seems the mentioned "different models shipping at different rates" applies here. 38mm ordered slightly later, but will be shipped slightly sooner.

Here is another.   I ordered a 38 MM Sport just yesterday in my local Apple Store. Initially the order said June.  Today I receive an email saying shipment was moved up to May-21, Cool!   Ten minutes later I receive another email saying it SHIPPED. It will be here tomorrow!  Far out!!!

• Reply 35 of 52
    undefined
  • Reply 36 of 52

Guys...you realize this is US data only, right?

• Reply 37 of 52
    Apparently the earnings have been released, which explain the huge after hours jump...
  • Reply 38 of 52

I confess to some frustration with the whole process.  It's a bit irritating that we were largely told to preorder online, and are waiting for shipment in most cases (unless you ordered within the first 5 or 6 minutes after midnight on 4/10), but if you're geographically fortunate (i.e., near Los Angeles in America), you could walk into a store in West Hollywood on 4/24 and walk out with a Watch. It could just be me, but I'd think they'd want to fill ALL online preorders (i.e., guaranteed money) before having any stock which might (won't, but might) sit on the shelf for a day or two.  I know I placed my order at 12:13am for a 38mm space gray/black band Sport, and as of 1:34pm on 4/27, have seen zero movement on my order (my account hasn't even been charged yet). :(

• Reply 39 of 52
    brlawyerbrlawyer Posts: 828member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

WOW! Hard to argue that Apple didn't drop the ball on this. How is only 22% of pre-orders fulfilled. I think Apple need to go back and re-assess how they managed this launch.

That's called the "being a CEO when he should just be COO" problem - or "jack of all trades, master of none". Apple under Cook is quickly going back to its Spindler years, when launch was different from availability and demand was underestimated in the millions (like what happened to the PowerBook back in the day) Compare that to the tight ship run by SJ AND Cook (when he focused as a COO and absolutely nothing else); it's the Peter Principle reinvented. 

• Reply 40 of 52
    brlawyer wrote: »

That's called the "being a CEO when he should just be COO" problem - or "jack of all trades, master of none". Apple under Cook is quickly going back to its Spindler years, when launch was different from availability and demand was underestimated in the millions (like what happened to the PowerBook back in the day) Compare that to the tight ship run by SJ AND Cook (when he focused as a COO and absolutely nothing else); it's the Peter Principle reinvented. 

Hey, genius: http://m.imore.com/apple-announces-q2-2015-results-million-iphones-million-ipads-million-macs-billion-revenue