Cook says 20% of iPhone install base upgraded to iPhone 6, 6 Plus

Comments

• Reply 21 of 47
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    sog35 wrote: »
    Desperate? Why not? Upgrading an iPhone every year only cost about $1 a day. Much cheaper than the phones service plan or cable tv.

Good job judging others for what they buy. If you make $40 an hour a new phone would only have to save you 10 hours a year to make it worth it.

See, 80% of iPhone users don't want a bigger phone. ;)
  • Reply 22 of 47
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ggf View Post

Some people do not read web pages on their phones. If this is the use case a smaller screen is fine. This just proves that people like me who have been saying we want a full function small screen phone are not a lunatic minority. People vote with their wallets. I think this will act as an incentive for apple to rethink the size lineup and offer three sizes

I wasn't talking about reading books or web pages, just using the phone.

The "improved" interface design combined with the shrinking from the retina display makes it hard for me to use a smaller phone (and read web pages too.) The big screen lets me zoom sufficiently to accommodate.

But I may be considered a border case as I am over 50 and do have presbyopia (and wish Jony Ive's would kick in soon.)

• Reply 23 of 47
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    desuserign wrote: »
    I am over 50 and do have presbyopia

Is that when you're afraid of the President or of Presbyterians? I can never remember :lol:
  • Reply 24 of 47
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,008member
    ggf wrote: »
    This just proves that people like me who have been saying we want a full function small screen phone are not a lunatic minority. People vote with their wallets. I think this will act as an incentive for apple to rethink the size lineup and offer three sizes

Well, I appreciate your point of view. I was dead set against a bigger screen and would have preordered a more traditional sized iPhone screen if one would have come with all the 6 goodness inside.
    After using the 6 I'm completely converted, however. It's size doesn't bother me and I love using in. Sure, I'm over 45, so maybe that plays in...
    BUT I hardly think we have enough data to say that people are staying away in droves!! Sales have been off the charts in mind boggling numbers. I imagine that most people who are holding out because of size right now will end up getting the bigger screen and loving it.

That's not to say that I wouldn't be happy for Apple to return to the smaller screen for those who really want it, but I don't think that the numbers (yet) prove that there is a massive holdout for a small screen...
  • Reply 25 of 47
    ggf wrote: »
    This just proves that people like me who have been saying we want a full function small screen phone are not a lunatic minority. People vote with their wallets. I think this will act as an incentive for apple to rethink the size lineup and offer three sizes

What proves what?
    I guess you attribute the "low" %20 upgrade number as a negative indication.
    Perhaps you are correct in thinking some folks don't like the slightly larger 6, but that has nothing to do with these "record sales numbers."
    As I've pointed out %20 is is right on track. If anything the huge sales numbers will convince Apple they are on a better track with the 6 than with previous phones..
  • Reply 26 of 47
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

Thats not true at all. The iPhone 6 has a smaller footprint compared to my 5s. People need to factor in thinness.

If the iPhone 6 were paper thin, it would still be too big to fit many people's hands.

• Reply 27 of 47
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Is that when you're afraid of the President or of Presbyterians? I can never remember image

It's when your afraid of "the President," or of "Presbyterians," or any other words written in less than 12 point type!

• Reply 28 of 47
    Quote:

Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Cook didn't answer when he was asked what the situation was last year. It does seem low, even more so when he said low teens at the last call had updated. So just 5-7 % increase?

It's clearly good news because it means many if not most buyers of the iPhone 6 are switchers or first time users of iPhones.

So, 20% this quarter and nearly that last quarter...people are still upgrading. If most current users hold onto their iPhones for two years, the nymbers look right to me. Then you have a group of buyers that hold out for the "s" version... While the purchasers are starting to be spread out all over the calendar, there are still a massive number that want to buy the day of the new iPhone release.

Apple can expect to see a lot of switchers through out the whole year because it's not certain just when a droid's gonna die...

• Reply 29 of 47
    crossladcrosslad Posts: 527member
    mac_128 wrote: »

Wow. That is shockingly low. I am really surprised that there are not more upgrades to the 6 at this point. I would have expected at least 40% ... what was the iPhone 5 percentage at the same time?

Wonder what percentage of Samsung users have upgraded to a S6/S6 Edge?
  • Reply 30 of 47
    I would be first in line to upgrade if there was a 4 inch screen version
  • Reply 31 of 47
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,123member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gordy View Post

20% is understandable. I was poised to upgrade when the 6 / 6 plus came out, but there's no way I'm walking around with a behemoth phone in my hand. If I decide to upgrade this year -- and Apple doesn't make a smaller version of the next iPhone -- I will buy an unlocked 5S.

I was ready for the iP6.  Then I saw the iP6+ and after a couple weeks of back-and-forth, I went for the iP6+ and couldn't be happier.  I do have large hands so it's a better fit for me.  The regular iP6 is not that big compared to the 5S.  Sure it's bigger, but I wouldn't necessarily call it a "behemoth".

I have my old iP5 sitting on my desk gathering dust until I decide what I want to do with it.  Just looking at it nowadays, it seems like a tiny snicker-bar compared to my iP6+.  No way would I go back to such a small screen size.  To each their own though. 

• Reply 32 of 47
    digitoldigitol Posts: 276member
    I'm actually moving down to a 5s. I can't stand the power button directly across the volume button on the iphone 6. ApplePay was keeping me on the 6, but now with the 5s and watch, no need! :)
  • Reply 33 of 47
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

Anecdotally, I noticed 4 different people today still using "old" iPhones. Each time I thought, "this guy/girl strikes me a a person who would love a 6 and could afford an upgrade. It's just a mater of time..."

I believe this easily. Apple is no where near saturation with 6s. And with emerging markets, well, emerging--Apple is beating the cycle!!

It could be because the iPhone 6 is significantly larger. I've met lots of people who usually upgrade regularly but don't like the new design and are waiting it out. I personally wish I could still buy an iPhone 5S 64GB to upgrade from my 5.

• Reply 34 of 47
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Abracadabra View Post

I would be first in line to upgrade if there was a 4 inch screen version

I agree.

I think there is an untapped market of people who want a high-end phone with a 4" screen but are no longer being catered for by any manufacturer.

• Reply 35 of 47
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    mcarling wrote: »

If the iPhone 6 were paper thin, it would still be too big to fit many people's hands.
    maybe not all iPhone 5 users dont need to upgrade every year like the hardcore 20% who are fans of Apple. Additionally, its not too big for peoples hands thats why its the best selling smartphone on the market.
  • Reply 36 of 47
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    mcarling wrote: »

Thinness isn't the issue here. I find the latest models uncomfortably thin.

adonissmu wrote: »
    maybe not all iPhone 5 users dont need to upgrade every year like the hardcore 20% who are fans of Apple. Additionally, its not too big for peoples hands thats why its the best selling smartphone on the market.
    That's not really the point. The point is the adoption rate of current iPhone owners is lower than expected. Android has had phablets forever, so it's not surprising that those owners switched to the superior iOS. 61MM could've been 100MM if the size didn't change so dramatically IMO.
  • Reply 37 of 47
    gordy wrote: »
    Thinness isn't the issue here. I find the latest models uncomfortably thin.
    That's not really the point. The point is the adoption rate of current iPhone owners is lower than expected. Android has had phablets forever, so it's not surprising that those owners switched to the superior iOS. 61MM could've been 100MM if the size didn't change so dramatically IMO.
    tell me what is expected? Also tell me are these quarterly numbers or in total since the iPhone 6's release
  • Reply 38 of 47
    wizard69 wrote: »
    Yeah like thinness has anything to do with the current iPhones being too big.

Honestly I'm waiting for the day when iPhone and Apple watch are the same thing. Literally a Dick Tracy type watch. Something like that would go great with an iPad.
    i was thinking the same thing after having the watch for a week. I think an Apple Watch bluetooth headphones and an iPad satisfies all my needs.
  • Reply 39 of 47
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    adonissmu wrote: »
    tell me what is expected?
    Did you read the article?
    Apple CEO Tim Cook on Monday revealed about 20 percent of active iPhone users have upgraded to the company's latest iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus hardware, leaving room for growth.
    According to the Q2 conference call notes on AI, that number was closer to 30% last year.
  • Reply 40 of 47
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,426member

Two factors. 1. Many people are tied to two-year contracts. So, if like me, you bought a 5 early on, your contract was over in time to get a 6. If you're on the "S" cycle, your 2-year contract is over some time this year and you will upgrade to the models introduced next fall.

2. Unlike most people who are on sites like AI, many people are not anal about having the newest phone at all times. They will stick with their phone until it breaks or until it doesn't do something they want, that the newer phones do.