Developers may not receive special Apple Watch orders early as promised

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    ecatsecats Posts: 272member
    "Guaranteed to ship by" is not the same as "guaranteed to deliver by."

The choice of words was deliberate as the last mile is, for the most part, entirely out of Apple's control.
  • Reply 22 of 44
    gerritgerrit Posts: 29member
    I talked to Apple about this today.. it *seems* like the online Apple Store is being used to process the transaction, but the developer watch orders are really being handled elsewhere, so the Apple Store emails have nothing to do with what's really going on with your order. I was told I may or may not receive a confirmation when my order ships.. it may just show up.
  • Reply 23 of 44
    T-Mobile CEO John Legere sporting his new Apple watch in an interview with Jim Cramer. 5:49 mark http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?video=3000374873
  • Reply 24 of 44
    xixoxixo Posts: 449member

is BlendTec a registered developer?

• Reply 25 of 44
    proline wrote: »

Yeah, heaven forfend that Apple offered to do something nice and it didn't work out 100%. The sky is totally falling. 

P.S. For all we know the people whining might not even have ordered the model they were supposed to or received an offer in the first place. 
    Do something nice? You're kidding, right?

Not getting what Apple promised me has given me time to think about why I'm spending $480 on something that does nothing.
  • Reply 26 of 44
    prolineproline Posts: 222member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mrrodriguez View Post

The hypocrisy on these forums are outstanding. If Google did this the comments would be "Don't be evil /s", or some other bashful comment.

Why don't we call it what it is instead of making excuses for a multi billion dollar company that's only job in this particular case was to ship some watches on a specific date.

Chill out. Google did something far worse and nobody cared- they got their developers to pay thousands for Google Glass units that never did anything useful and ended up getting discontinued. At least Apple is offering Watch developers a real market with real customers. 

• Reply 27 of 44
    Ultimately, Apple is going to do the best they can.

Seeing as they like to tout that they have 7 million registered developers (or close) I'm sure they had "best they can" in mind when making the promise. .....unless.....
  • Reply 28 of 44
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member
    dcgoo wrote: »
    I ordered a watch in an Apple Retail store, on SUNDAY.  It arrived TODAY, 48 hours later.   Not too shabby.  

Which model did you order? Was it 38mm? Those seem to be easier to get.
  • Reply 29 of 44
    I wonder if adding AppleCare to the watch caused the issue for some? Or did Apple just over commit?

In the next two week is earlier than June for my previous order.
  • Reply 30 of 44

An aside and FYI: My 42MM SS Milanese went to 'Preparing for Shipment' this morning.

My wife's 38MM did the same last Wednesday, and arrived on Friday, so I expect to get mine this Friday.

• Reply 31 of 44
    captain jcaptain j Posts: 313member
    proline wrote: »

It's whining. The solution is to cancel the expedited order for the affected individuals and give them the same deal that developers got for the iPhone and iPad- nothing.

Since Apple is only doing this for their own benefit, to get better third party apps faster for the watch so they have better selling points, it's very disingenuous to attack the developers who were promised one.
    It does seem like this may be more of an Apple store notification issue than an actual shipping issue.
  • Reply 32 of 44
    I was chosen, I followed Apple's instructions, still nothing. VERY disappointed. If it weren't for the expedited shipping, I would have spent my 400$ on a different Apple watch that I liked better.
  • Reply 33 of 44
    dcgoodcgoo Posts: 280member

Yes, it was a 38 mm Sport.  My 42mm sport ordered about 45 min after orders opened, did move up from June, to May 29.  Maybe it will continue to improve.

• Reply 34 of 44
    dcgoodcgoo Posts: 280member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iaeen View Post

Which model did you order? Was it 38mm? Those seem to be easier to get.

Yes, it was a 38 mm Sport for my wife.  A 42mm sport (Space Gray) ordered about 45 min after orders opened, did move up from June, to May 29.  Maybe it will continue to improve.

• Reply 35 of 44

I am in the same boat... I received the invitation as a developer to order and was accepted via lottery and placed my order. Now it's 4/29 and still not shipping information. Order status still says will ship in 2-3 weeks. Contacted online order support and they transferred me earlier to the developer support which at the time was still out of office. I just want to test my app on a live device so I figured rather than be choosing about the band/color options that I would opt for this as a chance to get guaranteed shipment by 4/28.

At least I am not alone. Let me know if any of you get a shipment notice.

• Reply 36 of 44
    Same happened to me. First got a note saying it would be 2-3 weeks, and a few minutes later, 6 to 8. I suspect it's some automated response that doesn't know about the developer's deal. So we could very well get the watches in the next few days.
  • Reply 37 of 44

That would be a nice surprise. I have contacted developer support but haven't been able to get someone on the phone, so just posted via site.

It would be nice if someone from Apple Developer could comment on this post and they would update the status with an official response.

• Reply 38 of 44
    Quote:

Originally Posted by proline View Post

It's whining. The solution is to cancel the expedited order for the affected individuals and give them the same deal that developers got for the iPhone and iPad- nothing.

Sure.  "Guaranteed to ship by" == "whining".

Let me tell you the "deal" I got as a developer for my iPad 1 3G.  I went to the local Apple Store on release day, Friday at 5pm and got in line.  There were 11 people in front of me.  I walked out 15 minutes later with my iPad.  They actually had them in stock.  Crazy, huh?

• Reply 39 of 44
    gerritgerrit Posts: 29member

• @benz917: I posted about this if you scroll up, but here's an update: The Apple Store page still says mid-May, but today the order mysteriously changed to be uncancellable and switched status to "Preparing for Shipment". So from what Dev support told me, it might have already shipped. I'm just going to submit my app and let the reviewers find the first round of problems while I wait...

• Reply 40 of 44

A California developer who, like others, still has it listed as "Available to ship: 2-3 weeks".

Called Dev support (at the recommend of a store.apple chat fellow who could not help me) and talked to a very professional staffer. Apparently they have been inundated with calls. He could not provide any real info other than they are working very hard on the problem. He was very apologetic. I did get a case number. He said he is keeping a list of those affected and promised an email when he learns more. I should also get an email when it is shipped; apparently that is the only notification and the store.apple.com data will not reflect that shipment.

I wonder, what sort of email did those few who were successful (I'm talking about the expedited dev special blue band Sport Watch delivery) get? An apple.com email or a UPS notice?

keep on hopin' . . .