Apple opens up early access to App Analytics for developers on iTunes Connect

Posted:
in iPhone edited June 2015
Apple on Thursday offered developers the option to register for the App Analytics beta, opening early access to a feature originally announced at last year's Worldwide Developers Conference.

Sign-ups are being handled at analytics.itunes.apple.com and can also be reached through a link on the iTunes Connect developer portal. Access is on a first-come-first-served basis.

The service will let developers track how people "discover and engage" with their App Store titles, according to Apple. A number of third-party App Store analytics services exist, but may rely on indirect means of gauging performance and charge their own separate fees.

Analytics can be essential for developers, giving them clues to how to adjust marketing, advertising, and app features. An analytics service was in fact offered through FlightPath prior to Burstly's acquisition by Apple. Until now, though, Burstly's resources have only been applied to public beta testing via TestFlight.

It's unclear when App Analytics might emerge from beta. More news is likely to emerge at this year's WWDC, which begins June 8.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Happy to see this feature finally making it.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    nasserae wrote: »

Apple pushed this one out just in time to avoid being asked "where is it" over and over at the up-and-coming WWDC...

I can't hardly believe that "Swift," another of last year's WWDC announcements, has shot to the top of its category in the ensuing months. Nice to see MS getting on the Object C bus just as Swift is lifting off... Makes me wonder what Apple may have up its sleeve for THIS year's WWDC announcements... any one have thoughts on that???
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Apple pushed this one out just in time to avoid being asked "where is it" over and over at the up-and-coming WWDC...

I can't hardly believe that "Swift," another of last year's WWDC announcements, has shot to the top of its category in the ensuing months. Nice to see MS getting on the Object C bus just as Swift is lifting off... Makes me wonder what Apple may have up its sleeve for THIS year's WWDC announcements... any one have thoughts on that???

We are just getting started with Swift.. so more Swift.

Swift 2.0

iOS 9

OS X 10.11

Native Watch apps

I don't think we will see any new hardware.

• Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Not if you are an end-user.  "analytics" = privacy invading user tracking.  And guess what, 'user permission' for this is buried in the EULA.

You think most users know Apple is tracking the items you touch, when you use the keyboard, what you search for, not only in Apple apps, but in all apps?  And sending all that info back to home office.

• Reply 5 of 7
    kfury77kfury77 Posts: 47member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by whatisgoingon View Post

Not if you are an end-user.  "analytics" = privacy invading user tracking.  And guess what, 'user permission' for this is buried in the EULA.

You think most users know Apple is tracking the items you touch, when you use the keyboard, what you search for, not only in Apple apps, but in all apps?  And sending all that info back to home office.

Incorrect. User permission is asked when setting up a new iOS device, or installing iOS 8. Everyone sees the option to opt in or opt out - it's not buried.

• Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by whatisgoingon View Post

It is not buried in iOS. When you upgraded to iOS 7/8 you were asked to give permission to share usage data with developers through Apple. It seems that the majority of iOS users are aware of this. In this new analytics tool Apple tells you how many of your users agreed to share their usage data for each app you have in the App Store. Mine says 44% of users agreed to share analytics. Other developers I know gave me numbers between 25% to 50%. So you are wrong. Most users know about iOS usage tracking and they are disabling it.

• Reply 7 of 7

it's now open for all developers :) I created a short tutorial for it and released it on my blog, could be of use for some people over here who want to step into it: http://appstoreoptimization.at/apple-app-analytics-data-faq/