Apple confirms ink in some darker wrist tattoos can interfere with Apple Watch heart rate sensor

Comments

• Reply 61 of 122
    john12345john12345 Posts: 152member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by john12345 View Post

So, every little Apple product issues get blown up in the media, but no one talking about things like the HUGE memory problem issue with the new Galaxy S6.

I forgot the link: http://www.cultofandroid.com/73258/samsung-galaxy-s6-suffering-from-a-major-memory-problem/

Where's the verge, cnet, etc talking about it??

• Reply 62 of 122
    yoyo2222yoyo2222 Posts: 144member

Actually an unreported fact. The watch really only works on albinos. ;)

• Reply 63 of 122
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

If Apple didn't know tattoos would interfere with sensors then it's inept research, and if they did know, and said nothing then it's deception.

What scientific knowledge that you have, that everyone should have been aware of to precipitate such research?

What evidence do you have that Apple would in any situation be so inclined to be so nefarious?

And why are you so inclined to be so accusative?

• Reply 64 of 122
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,685member
    Damnit! I should have never had a watch tattooed on my wrist!!
  • Reply 65 of 122
    elmoofoelmoofo Posts: 100member
    So, I guess the fact that these people who got tattoos will never ever be able to have an MRI isn't as important as being able to wear a watch. I mean, because if saving your life was as important as wearing a gadget, I'm sure there'd also be outrage at the MRI manufacturers for being so inconsiderate, right?
  • Reply 66 of 122
    mhiklmhikl Posts: 471member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by john12345 View Post

So, every little Apple product issues get blown up in the media, but no one talking about things like the HUGE memory problem issue with the new Galaxy S6.

Agreed.

However, why talk about outdoor toilet problems when the one in the warm, convenient room, occasionally needs a second flush?

Namaste and care,

mhikl

• Reply 67 of 122
    larryalarrya Posts: 608member

Then how in the world did you end up here reading and posting about Apple Watch? 

Why aren't you spending your time and energy reading Tattooinsider?

I was just thinking I could get an always-on watch face tattooed on my wrist, and it would be right twice a day.

Lighten up, people!
  • Reply 68 of 122
    thetorreythetorrey Posts: 80member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by LarryA View Post

So far, I'd rather get the tattoo than the watch.

Enjoy your tat.  I have the watch and it's pretty awesome.

• Reply 69 of 122
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    Ever noticed how people with tattoos don't berate people who don't tattoos but it's rife the other way around.
    It's almost like that someone else's skin has got something to do with you.
  • Reply 70 of 122
    lord amhranlord amhran Posts: 902member
    I have loads of tattoos, a full sleeve on my right arm. I'm also fully employed as a chef. Most people, at least the ones I know, are not "thugs" or "hipsters". We're just as hardworking and family-oriented as many of you are.

That said, I can't speak to what Apple tested making the watch but I would have to assume that at some point this might have been brought up but I don't know for certain. That said I'm certainly not going to blame Apple for this.
  • Reply 71 of 122
    salmanpaksalmanpak Posts: 35member

Long after your Apple watch is in the landfill, you'll still have your tattoo.

• Reply 72 of 122
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,010member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Apple can't take into account every single situation.  That's what the return policy is for.

And the try on appointments to try it out first.

• Reply 73 of 122
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    westcoast8 wrote: »

What scientific knowledge that you have, that everyone should have been aware of to precipitate such research?

What evidence do you have that Apple would in any situation be so inclined to be so nefarious?

And why are you so inclined to be so accusative?

If you classify tattoos as 'scientific knowledge' then you need to brush up on your science. Having a tattoo is not some obscure scenario.
  • Reply 74 of 122
    chadbag wrote: »
    And the try on appointments to try it out first.

That's not a possibility for everyone.
  • Reply 75 of 122
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,393moderator
    leighr wrote: »
    You could always switch to the other wrist.

... or ankle:

The problem doesn't affect all people with tattoos, just the ones with tattoos that cover the wrist with dark ink, which is probably a small percentage. There's a guy here who tattooed a picture of his baby onto his face:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/04/26/why-a-texas-man-had-his-baby-tattooed-onto-his-face/

Don't judge him now. He can wear the watch just fine.

For the wrist tattoo people, Apple can bring out an $80 adaptor or an ?Watch accessory like Beats headphones that have sensors on the earlobes. Ah but then they'd be thrown off by lobe mods:

so you'll need another gadget somewhere. It's a great business model when you think about it. Apple can eventually sell an accessory for every part of your body so you don't have to use your phone.
  • Reply 76 of 122
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    salmanpak wrote: »
    Long after your Apple watch is in the landfill, you'll still have your tattoo.

And there ain't nothing better looking than old tattoos.

Thank God for making the right choice, huh?

• Reply 77 of 122
    gtr wrote: »

Thank God for making the right choice, huh?

Thanks for ruining my lunch. :lol:
  • Reply 78 of 122
    usb-usb- Posts: 22member

So tattoos are bad because they don't work with the Apple Watch? What a ridiculous statement. The Apple Watch is an unnecessary accessory made by a company run by human beings. Your ability to wear it does not define the quality of your character. 

And news flash, but tattoos have existed long before the Apple Watch, or any watch for that matter. Apple should have realized this when they were making it. Products must be designed to fit in with society, not the other way around. Seems to me like this is Apple's problem, not the customers'.

• Reply 79 of 122
    salmanpaksalmanpak Posts: 35member

At least she can still wear her Apple watch.

• Reply 80 of 122
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

And nobody seems to be taking notice of the security fellow in the background, and the trouble he's facing!