Volkswagen intros Watch remote app, Dropbox to get in-app creation of Office docs

Posted:
in iPhone edited May 2015
Volkswagen on Tuesday announced an Apple Watch app that will offer remote control of many car functions, while Dropbox released a significant update to its iOS client and promised that users will soon be able to create Office documents from within the app.

Volkswagen cars to get Watch-based remote controls

Watch support will be an extension of the auto maker's Car-Net app for the iPhone. Owners of supported vehicles, starting with 2014 models, will be able to control windows and the sunroof, honk the horn and flash lights, or receive speed and geofence notifications when someone else is driving.

Other features will be specific to different cars. Only owners of 2016 cars, for example, will be able to lock and unlock doors. Gas and diesel drivers will be able to check fuel level, but e-Golf drivers will not only be able to check charge but get an estimated driving range, turn charging on and off, and adjust climate control.

Volkswagen hasn't said when the Watch app will be available. Current Car-Net-compatible vehicles include "select trims" of 2014 Beetle, CC, Eos, Jetta, Passat, and Tiguan models, and every variant of the Golf, Golf GTI, Golf R, Golf SportWagen, or e-Golf from 2015 onwards.

Dropbox promises Office document creation

The app
's v3.9 update, available today, lets users comment directly on a file, and open up commentary to others via a Twitter-like mention system. Dropbox has also added a Recents tab, and a 1Password login extension for creating or loading a 1Password vault.

By the end of May, the app will be updated to allow creating Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint documents. Users will still have to switch to those apps, but extensions will make the process automatic.

Dropbox is a free download for any device with iOS 7.0 or later.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    hydrogenhydrogen Posts: 314member

"Office" ? You mean Microsoft Office, which is just one of the available "Office" suites (and not the best, according to me)

• Reply 2 of 11
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,292member

Somehow I don't think this will endear the ?WATCH to the younger generation :D

• Reply 3 of 11
    schlackschlack Posts: 719member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MagMan1979 View Post

why? VW is a "young" person's brand. and the car control features sound awesome.

• Reply 4 of 11
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member

Great if you own a 2014 model car. 

What I'm thinking is that the auto makers could sell a retrofit "remote box" that gets installed in an inaccessible location in your car which accepts a bluetooth signal from the ?Watch that then triggers the proper radio code to unlock your car. This would make the ?Watch instantly compatible with every model car ever to include a radio controlled security system, without replacing the remote equipment.

• Reply 5 of 11
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    magman1979 wrote: »

Parents will love it.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    schlack wrote: »
    why? VW is a "young" person's brand. and the car control features sound awesome.

I am not sure but maybe Magman1979 was referring to the Office document creation (second part of article).
  • Reply 7 of 11
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    Behold. The Internet of Things has begun.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,292member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by schlack View Post

I think you missed the sarcasm of my statement :) They won't like it because now their parents will know what they do to the car and where they go!

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I am not sure but maybe Magman1979 was referring to the Office document creation (second part of article).

Nope, was referring to the fact parents can now monitor what their kids are doing and where they are :)

• Reply 9 of 11
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,100member
    When is CarPlay coming VW??
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Why do people say this? Are you actually in the market for a new car? Is this something people buy a car specifically because of? I mean ther 3rd party heads are much nicer and a good custom install will look seamless and with nice hardware will sound leaps and bound better than ANY factory install. So what keep waiting?
  • Reply 11 of 11
    tony wetony we Posts: 1member

I think UI designers keep forgetting the Apple Watch doesn't have an edge-to-edge display. but its pretty cool the fact 

Volkswagen is a "young" person's brand. and the car control features sound awesome. http://www.eurobahnm.com/volkswagen-service/