Apple challenges Google with growing Web search program, fueled by Topsy acquisition

Comments

• Reply 21 of 95
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... "reifying Star Trek" for the iPhone maker.

Cool.  So will this be another re-boot?

• Reply 22 of 95
    drewys808drewys808 Posts: 549member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Earlier on Wednesday, Google acknowledged that it has seen mobile search volume eclipse desktop search volume in 10 countries, including the U.S. and Japan. Because Google counts tablets as desktops, it's likely that the balance is skewed even more toward mobile devices --?of which Apple sells nearly 200 million each year.

...this tells the tale!...of what's to come.

And the masses are growing tired of advertisements:

- taking up display real estate

- distracting our eyeballs

- wasting data bits (esp. mobile)

I can see why sites like duckduckgo are gaining traction.

• Reply 23 of 95
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    drewys808 wrote: »
    ...this tells the tale!...of what's to come.

And the masses are growing tired of advertisements:
    - taking up display real estate
    - distracting our eyeballs
    - wasting data bits (esp. mobile)

I can see why sites like duckduckgo are gaining traction.
    That's the problem with Apple users. They expect everything to be free. :D /s

(kidding)
  • Reply 24 of 95
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

..and it won't matter at all when it does. It's a complete non-issue with no effect on Google.

BTW, it's not Google's patent to begin with.

Keep telling yourself that.

Stanford owns the patent but Google is the exclusive licensee--and that's good enough for me! But I guess for people who'd rather downplay the matter, a technicality can be useful to distract from the real issue.

And we have Google XYZ because the company doesn't know what the hell it's going to do in a few years. Oh, wait, it's Hooli XYZ, Google X.

• Reply 25 of 95
    cpsro wrote: »
    Keep telling yourself that.

Stanford owns the patent but Google is the exclusive licensee--and that's good enough for me! But I guess for people who'd rather downplay the matter, a technicality can be useful to distract from the real issue.

And we have Google XYZ because the company doesn't know what the hell it's going to do in a few years. Oh, wait, it's Hooli XYZ, Google X.
    Google may not be the only licensee. They have no agreement with Stanford that says that.

If you have any actual interest I can point you in the right direction so you can begin to understand why it doesn't matter if the original PageRank patent becomes public domain. In fact it hasn't mattered for a few years and that's based on fact and not FUD.
  • Reply 26 of 95
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    When Larry and Sergey read this story they're going to have a f*cking heart attack.
  • Reply 27 of 95
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    fallenjt wrote: »
    And all of these news come with the price: AAPL dropped to below $124. This is fcking buying time right before ex-dividend day tomorrow. I just grab another 100 shares and set limit sale all my AAPL at $135...(by WWDC hopefully). Move to long term investment on ETF instead, guys. Damn stock so volatile because of the manipulative idiots in Wall Street and that pissed me off.
    BTW, Google revenue relies mostly in search and this may cause a dent in their business. 

At least today one could argue there is a reason for the volatility with Janet Yellen saying equities might be overvalued. There was zero rational IMO after earnings release. I'll bet Apple was the only company this quarter to beat on the top and bottom, beat on EPS and gross margins, increase dividends and stock buyback, provide bullish guidance for next quarter and have their stock drop 2% the next day.
  • Reply 28 of 95
    waterrocketswaterrockets Posts: 1,231member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by konqerror View Post

They need to fix the Maps search first. It likes to find randomly named one-stoplight towns in the middle of the country when searching for something three blocks away. You have to search for stores with the exact right name, like "Costco Wholesale" or it gets confused.

Even once you reach feature/performance parity (good luck), there's a big branding issue when "google" is an everyday English verb. Apple does own their own playground though, so they can discourage folks from straying if Apple Search is performant, just because it will be so convenient on 1/3 of the devices out there.

• Reply 29 of 95
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    DOJ to investigate: "Apple appears to be encroaching on markets dominated by certain donors...er bribers...er companies with the intent to dominate. We can't allow Apple to compete so willingly. Everyone knows only Apple needs competition."
  • Reply 30 of 95
    thewhitefalconthewhitefalcon Posts: 4,453member
    sockrolid wrote: »
    Cool.  So will this be another re-boot?

I doubt its what they mean here, but Apple did have the Star Trek project back in the '90s. That being said, unless this is a reference to OS X on ARM (which already exists...) I'm thinking typo.
  • Reply 31 of 95
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    lmao, jungmark

Denial of profit stream claim.
    Anti competiveness Flawgic :D
  • Reply 32 of 95
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    gatorguy wrote: »

(kidding)

What would you know about what Apple users want?
  • Reply 33 of 95
    I doubt its what they mean here, but Apple did have the Star Trek project back in the '90s. That being said, unless this is a reference to OS X on ARM (which already exists...) I'm thinking typo.

Bring back Taligent! /s
  • Reply 34 of 95
    Even once you reach feature/performance parity (good luck), there's a big branding issue when "google" is an everyday English verb. Apple does own their own playground though, so they can discourage folks from straying if Apple Search is performant, just because it will be so convenient on 1/3 of the devices out there.

But but but Google Apple needs competition!
  • Reply 35 of 95
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Well I said it before, Apple was going to cut Google out and provide their own search results via spotlight. This is the problem Google has, they now have a competitor they did not expect to have all due to the fact they wanted to make mobile phone OS and sell ads. Now they have a competitor who will give away searches for free and they have the cash to do it. It hard to compete when your competitor is willing to give away what you sell.

Google will now be stuck in the squeeze between Apple's free searches who protect your privacy and all the other ads $ to search competitors.

G
  • Reply 36 of 95
    waterrocketswaterrockets Posts: 1,231member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

But but but Google Apple needs competition!

Eventually, other companies overcame "xerox" as a verb, and moved into the photocopying business. That product segment is commoditized too, at this point. I'm not sure I see web search becoming a commodity given the growth rate of the web and the slim chances of profit for providing that commodity.

Apple didn't get where they are by throwing margins out the window. I don't see how you compete with Google in search without a business plan that makes money.

• Reply 37 of 95
    What would you know about what Apple users want?
    I pay attention? ;)
  • Reply 38 of 95
    maestro64 wrote: »
    Well I said it before, Apple was going to cut Google out and provide their own search results via spotlight. This is the problem Google has, they now have a competitor they did not expect to have all due to the fact they wanted to make mobile phone OS and sell ads. Now they have a competitor who will give away searches for free and they have the cash to do it. It hard to compete when your competitor is willing to give away what you sell.

Google will now be stuck in the squeeze between Apple's free searches who protect your privacy and all the other ads $ to search competitors.

G
    I think they would have had a competitor anyway. Apple isn't dumb. If they see a value to owning the service rather than depending on a 3rd party one that's what they do, as they often have.
  • Reply 39 of 95
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    gatorguy wrote: »

(kidding)

Interesting use of the words 'Apple users' and 'They' as opposed to 'we'.

I can't help but be curious about why someone who doesn't own Apple products would spend so much time posting 12,000 posts on an Apple enthusiast website...
  • Reply 40 of 95
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member

I'd be happy if Spotlight could reliably find things on my Mac.

Maybe I'm "not typing it right" - but I've been singularly unimpressed with the feature since Tiger days, and I keep trying, but never crosses my mind for general searching.  E.g, if I want to do a quick Wikipedia search I type the search term and "!w" into Duck Duck Go.

And long as I'm taking Apple's wanting to be all things to us to task, I'm even less impressed with notification center.  Nearly everything there is between 20+ and 100+ days old - and for sites, things and programs I use.  Like Calendar - last notification is for 47 days ago.

I don't generally use Mail (working directly in browser GMail), but I saw it did update Notifications when invoked.  Running Calendar does nothing though, and none of the news services I tagged, e.g., CNN, update, NBA.com, etc.

I keep noodling in the preferences, but can't find anything I can say I'm doing wrong or failing to do.

As a re-switcher, I'm still happy to be back and plan to keep a Mac as my main computer, but still find (mostly little) things that make me gnash my teeth as Apple continues to add things that are "cool" and whiz-bang, but leave niggles around for years (and years).