In-store Apple Watch pickup 'available soon,' Apple Store iOS app says

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited May 2015
Apple is on the verge of offering in-store pickup for people buying the Apple Watch, although no exact timeframe is being quoted, checks of the Apple Store iOS app revealed on Wednesday.

While the Watch is still listed as "unavailable" for Personal Pickup when placing an an order through Apple's Web store, taking the same course in the Apple Store app now shows Personal Pickup as "available soon."

Since launch, Apple has limited Watch orders to deliveries and a handful of third-party luxury boutiques. The approach marks a radical departure from most Apple products, which are typically launched with stock available at as many retail outlets as possible, including third-party chains like Best Buy.

Today's change is consistent with plans to launch in-store sales of the Watch in June. That will be highly dependent on Apple's ability to keep up with demand however, particularly as Apple may also be planning a wider international rollout that month.

The tight restrictions may be traceable to botched Taptic Engines in early manufacturing. No faulty Watches are thought to have reached the public, but the problem may have severely reduced the units ready by April 10, when preorders opened.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member

Oh, awesome. Increased availability.

That, of course, will be proof of low demand. Right?

…Right??

• Reply 2 of 12
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member

Does this mean "in store pickup" with a pre-order? Or does this mean an in store pickup if already in stock for walk-in purchase? Weren't Apple not allowing in-store pickups for pre-order shipments during the launch?

• Reply 3 of 12
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

Does this mean "in store pickup" with a pre-order? Or does this mean an in store pickup if already in stock for walk-in purchase? Weren't Apple not allowing in-store pickups for pre-order shipments during the launch?

In-store pickup means you order on line and pick up in store, not walk-in purchase. Otherwise, it would say Apple now sell Watches in stores.

Anyway, I think the demand is slowing down after the first hype since this is only accessory. By the time everyone receives the pre-order deliveries, the next generation is a few months away. Yup.

• Reply 4 of 12
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    fallenjt wrote: »
    In-store pickup means you order on line and pick up in store, not walk-in purchase. Otherwise, it would say Apple now sell Watches in stores.

no doubt. how hard can one guy pretend to be so confused by a product he hates? grow up.

I think the demand is slowing down after the first hype since this is only accessory. By the time everyone receives the pre-order deliveries, the next generation is a few months away. Yup.

er, no, most unlikely.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

no doubt. how hard can one guy pretend to be so confused by a product he hates? grow up.

er, no, most unlikely.

I don't see anything about the comment for "hate" the product. Can you elaborate?

• Reply 6 of 12
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Anyway, I think the demand is slowing down after the first hype since this is only accessory. By the time everyone receives the pre-order deliveries, the next generation is a few months away. Yup.

Why are you answering this . . . person as if he were a normal poster? And what is this "I think the demand is slowing down after the first hype" toss of a dog biscuit to him? And what does "this is only accessory" mean? C'mon, keep rank.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    I don't see anything about the comment for "hate" the product. Can you elaborate?

You don't remember him from yesterday, the 'lines at Colette' thread?

Edit: Sorry, I thought you were in that thread. I see you weren't. Check it out if you want to know why i'm surprised you're treating him like a good dog.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    mac_128 wrote: »

What do you care?

Actually I know you don't care, you just want to make a stink about something you're ignorant of.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

Right, that's what I thought ... but this article seems to be suggesting that this means Apple Stores will soon have stock to sell to walk-in customers. I know right now I can buy a product with my Apple Store App, and select in store pick-up and it will tell me if there's stock available, or whether I have to wait for it. I would imagine the same would be true for the ?Watch, and likely it will tell me the in-store pick up will be available on a particular date.

Personally, I think there will be another rush during the holidays, by which time Apple will have likely caught up with the demand. I'm expecting them to offer a new selection of watch bands, and case materials. The new models won't be out until at least April of 2016. So that's still a lot of time to stir up demand. 

• Reply 10 of 12
    therfmantherfman Posts: 52member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

Or will it be a "reserve and pick up" system like they had for iPhone 6, when available stock went online at midnight, and if you got in quickly enough, it was possible to reserve one for pickup the next day.  That was a better system than anything they are trying to use now.

• Reply 11 of 12
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member

sure. go back and read all his hundreds of comments on AW.

after it was released and met w/ undeniable success, he's changed his narrative to how confusing the launch is to him. yawn.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Quote:

Originally Posted by therfman View Post

Or will it be a "reserve and pick up" system like they had for iPhone 6, when available stock went online at midnight, and if you got in quickly enough, it was possible to reserve one for pickup the next day.  That was a better system than anything they are trying to use now.

Exactly. It's confusing. And I'm not sure why AI is making it a story.