Apple Watch's heart rate sensor on par with Mio's dedicated Alpha monitor

Comments

• Reply 21 of 50
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,821member

Thanks for pointing out Boom. My father-in-law has big hearing problems and this may be of help. Do you know of anything like this for iOS? I haven't been able to find any in quick searching. It would be more useful there since he's using the iPad Air more now than laptops.

Not sure if this is still true (article may be out of date) but it says there is already an equalizer in iOS ... who knew? I am off to find my iPad now to see. :)

http://www.macworld.com/article/2090554/tweak-your-ios-audio-with-eq-settings.html

EDIT ... I see, the built in is like OS X for iTunes. However they mention a third party app for $1 and it has a trial for free. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/audio-xciter-dsp-enhanced/id528536517?mt=8 Not sure if this is global audio out or not.
    Another is Equalizer By Audioforge Labs Inc.

The way to search is 'Audio equalization iOS'
  • Reply 22 of 50
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

50% ... That is low humidity! On a nice day here in central west florida we'd consider that a dry day! If the top temperature Apple state is 95°F then you'd better leave for the Arctic in summer too.

Oh I know it all too well, having lived in Florida. But it rarely gets over 100 degrees as I recall. The combined extreme heat with any humidity amplifies the negative effects of both. Also, direct sunlight on the watch is prohibited as well, especially in combination with extreme heat. So better wear long sleeves in the Summer as well. Unfortunately the Arctic is not an option either since the watch can't be operated below 32 degrees.

Quote:

Operating temperature Apple Watch is designed to work best in ambient temperatures between 32° and 95° F (0° and 35° C) and be stored in temperatures between -4° and 113° F (-20° and 45° C). Apple Watch can be damaged and battery life shortened if stored or operated outside of these temperature ranges. Avoid exposing Apple Watch to dramatic changes in temperature or humidity. If the interior temperature of Apple Watch exceeds normal operating temperatures (for example, in a hot car or in direct sunlight for extended periods of time), you may experience the following as it attempts to regulate its temperature:

• Charging may slow or stop.

• The display may dim.

• A temperature warning screen may appear.

• Some data transfer may be paused or delayed.

• Some apps may close.

Important: You may not be able to use Apple Watch while the temperature warning screen is displayed. If Apple Watch can’t regulate its internal temperature, it goes into Power Reserve or a deep sleep mode until it cools. Move Apple Watch to a cooler location out of direct sunlight and wait a few minutes before trying to use Apple Watch again. For more information, see support.apple.com/kb/HT6621.

Magnets Keep key cards and credit cards away from Apple Watch, the bands, the Apple Watch Magnetic Charging Cable, and the Apple Watch Magnetic Charging Case.

• Reply 23 of 50
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Not sure if this is still true (article may be out of date) but it says there is already an equalizer in iOS ... who knew? I am off to find my iPad now to see. image

http://www.macworld.com/article/2090554/tweak-your-ios-audio-with-eq-settings.html

EDIT ... I see, the built in is like OS X for iTunes. However they mention a third party app for $1 and it has a trial for free. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/audio-xciter-dsp-enhanced/id528536517?mt=8 Not sure if this is global audio out or not.

Another is Equalizer By Audioforge Labs Inc.

The way to search is 'Audio equalization iOS'

Looks like these are more specifically targeted at music apps within iOS. Thanks for pointing me in the direction though, I hadn't even thought about such things for assisting with his issues until your Boom post.

Sorry for OT everyone.

• Reply 24 of 50
    mac_128 wrote: »
    Oh I know it all too well, having lived in Florida. But it rarely gets over 100 degrees as I recall. The combined extreme heat with any humidity amplifies the negative effects of both. Also, direct sunlight on the watch is prohibited as well, especially in combination with extreme heat. So better wear long sleeves in the Summer as well. Unfortunately the Arctic is not an option either since the watch can't be operated below 32 degrees.

I was just teasing ;) Apple need to get these tolerances widened for us folks in the real world. Not to mention the arctic will probably be warm and humid soon anyway! LOL
  • Reply 25 of 50
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member

Back to scraping the bottom of the salted fish barrel, I see.

Did you inform the poor customer-victims of your scalping on eBay of these terrible restrictions against using the Watch in certain parts of the world? I'd like to see your ads to find out how you handled this delicate ethical question.

If you don't show us your ads, I think it would be better for you to shut up about any of the Watch's crippling deficiencies, as you see them. Ok?
  • Reply 26 of 50
    I was just teasing ;) Apple need to get these tolerances widened for us folks in the real world. Not to mention the arctic will probably be warm and humid soon anyway! LOL

The tolerances are common to any compact electronic device with limited heat dissipation opportunities. I'm always having to deal with overheating when doing long iPhone video takes, by shading, placing the back on some kind of heat sink, etc. The worst that happens is that the camera app switches off and the screen goes dark. And you miss the best part of the shot, of course.
  • Reply 27 of 50

Hopefully the temp/humidity ranges as well as battery life will be extended for the second edition. I'm a bicyclist and once our baby is old enough, I'd like to actually get back into it. Long rides here in CO are typically in direct sunlight for extended periods so I wonder how it would do. My current Garmin bike computer handles it without issue (including the occasional moisture such as rain) so I always have that. I think it would be nice to have the iPhone central in the "cockpit" area for looking at MapMyRide or other similar app for speed, cadence, HR, and power data while using the watch for capturing HR (vs using a chest strap like I do now).

Interestingly, I see nothing about operating altitude in the Apple Watch user guide. I like riding in the mountains (up to and potentially over 10k feet, but even the occasional ride up Mt Evans or similar at around 14k feet). I assume it would handle all that without issue.

• Reply 28 of 50
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheUnfetteredMind View Post

Hopefully the temp/humidity ranges as well as battery life will be extended for the second edition.

Interestingly, I see nothing about operating altitude in the Apple Watch user guide. I like riding in the mountains (up to and potentially over 10k feet, but even the occasional ride up Mt Evans or similar at around 14k feet). I assume it would handle all that without issue.

I think the parameters are more robust than Apple's conservative specs. The reason it is potentially a problem is because it is being worn on a persons arm which is far more likely to be exposed to below freezing temps and excessive heat and direct sunlight than an iPhone. Which is a shame because accessing your iPhone via your wrist would be ideal in extreme weather conditions. I know just being able to use it on a ski lift would take the worry out of potentially dropping my iPhone when I pull it out of my jacket pocket with numb fingers.

You bring up an interesting point about altitude. I don't know enough about high altitude gear to know whether it has special ratings to say summit Everest, versus the top of a ski resort mountain in Colorado. One thing is certain though, if one is traveling below sea level, one will have to keep the pressure differences in mind, if exposed to water. So definitely take off that watch before jumping into the Dead Sea. ;-)

• Reply 29 of 50
    flaneur wrote: »
    The tolerances are common to any compact electronic device with limited heat dissipation opportunities. I'm always having to deal with overheating when doing long iPhone video takes, by shading, placing the back on some kind of heat sink, etc. The worst that happens is that the camera app switches off and the screen goes dark. And you miss the best part of the shot, of course.

Tell me about it. The lockbox key we use in this area as Realtors often has to be left in the fridge for a while after being in the car as it goes into an overheated brick mode. We need NASA involved, if they can get stuff to work on Mars, Florida can't be all that hard you'd think! ;)
  • Reply 30 of 50
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

I think the parameters are more robust than Apple's conservative specs. The reason it is potentially a problem is because it is being worn on a persons arm which is far more likely to be exposed to below freezing temps and excessive heat and direct sunlight than an iPhone. Which is a shame because accessing your iPhone via your wrist would be ideal in extreme weather conditions. I know just being able to use it on a ski lift would take the worry out of potentially dropping my iPhone when I pull it out of my jacket pocket with numb fingers.

You bring up an interesting point about altitude. I don't know enough about high altitude gear to know whether it has special ratings to say summit Everest, versus the top of a ski resort mountain in Colorado. One thing is certain though, if one is traveling below sea level, one will have to keep the pressure differences in mind, if exposed to water. So definitely take off that watch before jumping into the Dead Sea. ;-)

I would think the salt water would be more of a potential issue than the altitude in the Dead Sea?

One good thing about high-altitude cycling here in Colorado, as you go up, the temperature drops so issues may be minimized (between being in the direct sun, temperature, altitude). The other nice thing, we have low humidity, the sun can be quite intense though.

• Reply 31 of 50
    Tell me about it. The lockbox key we use in this area as Realtors often has to be left in the fridge for a while after being in the car as it goes into an overheated brick mode. We need NASA involved, if they can get stuff to work on Mars, Florida can't be all that hard you'd think! ;)

That's a good one. So the lock box is black, gets left on the sun for a few minutes, and you can't get in the house? Where do you go for a fridge? Can you just stick it in front of the AC vent in the car for a bit?

Should the box be white on top and finned for heat sink on the bottom? All kinds of passive strategies come to mind, with the Watch as well.
  • Reply 32 of 50
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    It is the Sport 42 with the white strap !
    I dont see why the stainless will be any less durable... If anything i think it will be more durable !
  • Reply 33 of 50
    Yes .. I am aware of that. thank you for the warning!:)

If something goes wrong i dont expect apple to exchange it for me..
    I am merely curios and am testing the limits of what it can take within reason.
    At bikram yoga the room is humid but it is no where near like a steam room... 40/50% humidity is common in many parts of the world so i expect the watch to handle it.
    I know temp wise im pushing it..But most anazing is the the drenched sweaty conditions...and it handles it like a champ .. ( so far );)

In the last two weeks.. I have taken 2 showers a day with it and no problems.

This is one tough watch ..:)

Next is windsurfing ... Shall report on that in a month or so... ( my main concern there is exposure to salt water. )
  • Reply 34 of 50
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bobdylan View Post

Are you using the sports apple watch or the stainless steel one? I wonder if the steel one is as resistant as the sports one.

Consumer Reports says it's the other way round, the steel one is more resistant than the aluminum one. ("Sport" being a marketing choice, IMHO, and not really an application segment description, like with the Jeep Cherokee: the "Sport" model was the stripped one with the babycrap brown plastic interior....).

• Reply 35 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

Consumer Reports says it's the other way round, the steel one is more resistant than the aluminum one. ("Sport" being a marketing choice, IMHO, and not really an application segment description, like with the Jeep Cherokee: the "Sport" model was the stripped one with the babycrap brown plastic interior....).

Well iFixit shows that the Sport appears to contain lower quality parts than the Stainless model they disassembled. But who knows.

The official marketing point for the Ion-X glass is that it makes the light aluminum watch even lighter (presumably for sporting activities, like running and cycling). So theoretically it is an application segment description. It's just a coincidence that all of these materials are cheaper than on the stainless. ;-)

• Reply 36 of 50
    Wow. You realize you are exceeding the warranty operating conditions significantly. Apple advised no hotter than 95 degrees, low humidity environments (specifically stating no steam room use).
    Yes .. I am aware of that. thank you for the warning!1smile.gif

At bikram yoga the room is humid but it is no where near like a steam room... 40/50% humidity is common in many parts of the world so i expect the watch to handle it.
    I know temp wise im pushing it..But most anazing is the the drenched sweaty conditions...and it handles it like a champ .. ( so far )1wink.gif

This is one tough watch ..1smile.gif

Next is windsurfing ... Shall report on that in a month or so... ( my main concern there is exposure to salt water. )
  • Reply 37 of 50
    bobdylan wrote: »
    Are you using the sports apple watch or the stainless steel one? I wonder if the steel one is as resistant as the sports one.

It is the Sport 42 with the white strap !
    I dont see why the stainless will be any less durable... If anything i think it will be more durable !
  • Reply 38 of 50
    flaneur wrote: »
    That's a good one. So the lock box is black, gets left on the sun for a few minutes, and you can't get in the house? Where do you go for a fridge? Can you just stick it in front of the AC vent in the car for a bit?

Should the box be white on top and finned for heat sink on the bottom? All kinds of passive strategies come to mind, with the Watch as well.

Nope it is light gray. But yes the AC vent is good if you catch it in time. It only happens when you forget and leave it too long in a car without the AC on.
  • Reply 39 of 50
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by foggyhill View Post

They could rival it, even be better than it, they just couldn't promote it as medical grade; it is basically a certification, labeling issue and probably also a liability issue.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheUnfetteredMind View Post

Hopefully the temp/humidity ranges as well as battery life will be extended for the second edition. I'm a bicyclist and once our baby is old enough, I'd like to actually get back into it. Long rides here in CO are typically in direct sunlight for extended periods so I wonder how it would do. My current Garmin bike computer handles it without issue (including the occasional moisture such as rain) so I always have that. I think it would be nice to have the iPhone central in the "cockpit" area for looking at MapMyRide or other similar app for speed, cadence, HR, and power data while using the watch for capturing HR (vs using a chest strap like I do now).

On the bike, the wind will insure the watch doesn't heat up too much :-), unles its on a 10% climb, then not so sure about the "wind" (unless being winded counts...). If you insist on using it in direct sunlight not on you bike at over 95F (that's one hell of a temp...), keep your watch charged at 60% max (this stresses the battery a lot let when it heats and thus it will last longer).

• Reply 40 of 50
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Yojimbo007 View Post

Yes .. I am aware of that. thank you for the warning!1smile.gif

I know temp wise im pushing it..But most anazing is the the drenched sweaty conditions...and it handles it like a champ .. ( so far )1wink.gif

This is one tough watch ..1smile.gif

If you want to stress your battery less (and insist on continuing this :-), make sure it is NOT fully charge when you do so; ideal, around 50%. Battery tends to last a lot less time in high heat and close to 100% charge (A LOT LESS); at 50% you only take a bit of a hit.