Apple to give the first hit free with its new streaming service - report

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    jim gramzejim gramze Posts: 39member
    I don't see ad-free search working when many sites embed their own ads.
  • Reply 22 of 25
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by d4NjvRzf View Post

Spotify wouldn't be bleeding money if the artists weren't getting paid. Licensing costs form the bulk of Spotify's operating expenses.

Right... If no matter how low you someone for their product, YOU STILL LOSE MONEY, you still have costs but so what? You're business is not sustainable.  If you need to lowball these people.... Well, eventually they'll go somewhere else if they get a better offer.

I didn't even think I'd need to point to that.

For example, If a restaurant pays its employees $2 dollars an hour and still loses money, they are technicaly "paying" their employees at less than minimum wage, and I'm sure it accounts for a big or biggest part of their costs. But, so what? If they can't make it while paying employees that low, then maybe their business model is unsustainable and they should close shop or change it (considering they're trying to switch people to paying services, I'm guessing they found that out). The problem with that, is they're still not paying the artists more.

Most of the money paid for streaming goes to a small group of artist, which people play over and over again. The artists that are played less than 10K times are getting next to nothing (a few bucks) for their work.

• Reply 23 of 25
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    foggyhill wrote: »

Most of the money paid for streaming goes to a small group of artist, which people play over and over again. The artists that are played less than 10K times are getting next to nothing (a few bucks) for their work.
    Do you have a suggested solution?
  • Reply 24 of 25
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Do you have a suggested solution?

Make better music. :lol: