Inside Apple Inc in Switzerland: No Watch yet, but Apple Pay unofficially working, strong demand for

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 57
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    magman1979 wrote: »

That's one thing I actually miss about XP was the startup sound!

Notice I said "one thing" ;)

I always liked the shutting down part best ... :D
  • Reply 42 of 57
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    No, the two year warranty is relatively new and is by law. The fantasy tax was applied way before that law was changed from 1 to 2 years. And you can still get AppleCare which extends the warranty from 1 to 3 years according to Apple, because they like to ignore the new law in their marketing text. So for tge same price you get two years extended warranty in the US, you get only one actual extra year here. There's no defending the fantasy tax, neither by higher standards of living nor by higher costs for real estate etc. This all started long long before Apple even had a single store in the US.
  • Reply 43 of 57
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,293member
    cnocbui wrote: »

I have the background, thanks.  Relic is a tech gourmand and has her reasons for being interested in a wide variety of products from multiple different manufactureers.  She has an open and enquiring mind and is not saddled with the technology equivalent of racism, which a good many of the regular posters here seem to suffer from.

You are the one who is clearly over-sensitive.  Being upset at someone because they think highly of an electronic gadget that you don't is pretty messed up.

I had to read your response twice just to make sure I was hallucinating...

So let me get this straight, you call out me for being the Pot for claiming I don't agree with Relic's over-sensitivity to comments not conforming to her own (which is exactly what she does on a regular basis when someone isn't her equal to being a fan of her precious junk and obsolete tablet), but then turn around and blatantly label ALL those who are genuine fans of a specific product as being technological equivalents to racists?!?! By that logic, you've just labeled her a racist, and have exposed your own true colours!

Consider yourself flagged for racist comments, and placed on my block list.
  • Reply 44 of 57
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

^

Over-sesnsitivity point: proved.

• Reply 45 of 57
    ericthehalfbeeericthehalfbee Posts: 4,486member
    crowley wrote: »
    ^
    Over-sesnsitivity point: proved.

No. Surprised it took this long to figure out cnocbui is a troll. Many of us blocked him a long time ago, and for the very same reasons. More like this was that "last straw" post in a long string of useless comments that finally caused MagMan1979 to add cnocbui to the block list.

As to Relic, she's very biased. Look at any discussion involving the Nvidia K1 processor for proof of this. She seems truly upset that Apple makes the most advanced ARM processors.
  • Reply 46 of 57
    frykefryke Posts: 217member

Swiss perspective here: DED obviously spent his time in Switzerland at the top of the crop, shopping at the one place in Zurich where groceries cost two to ten times (depending on articles) what they cost in a regular supermarket a couple hundred meters down the road. I really liked the picture of the Swiss Apps (alps), too.

No, seriously: The insight is quite spot on, the technical aspects are correct.

• Reply 47 of 57
    wolke7wolke7 Posts: 3member
    If you ask yourself why we have 4 Apple Stores in little Switzerland:
    Since some time Switzerland is the no. 1 Apple Country in OS usage stats: http://bit.ly/1H9e3bn
  • Reply 48 of 57
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    It seems I'm the topic of some heated debate. I'm only over sensitive to those calling almost every other piece of technology that doesn't have a Apple logo in the back as garbage or a waste of time, especially those devices that I personally use and enjoy. I truly love tech products from almost every corner of this market and rightfully so as their some really incredible stuff out their, I'm a computer nerd of the highest caliber. Yes, I said the Nokia 2520 was a fantastic tablet because it is and those that say it isn't probably has never used one and are just being biased because it doesn't fit their needs. The display is beautiful, when paired with it's keyboard I get a little over 14 hours of battery life making it the perfect travel buddy, the LTE inside gets one of the strongest signals and speeds that I have seen as of yet in a tablet, etc. Since I now predominantly use web apps, the Nokia makes a good ChromeBook. Those that are dissing it are probably also thinking about the limited amount of apps you can install, it's RT why should they think other wise, but this is narrow mindliness as the amount of great web apps available more than compensates for any short comings there is for available installable app. So it works for me and I understand if it doesn't for you but that does not mean that the Nokia 2520 is any less of a machine. Also anyone defining my character from the tech that I choose to use is just being a hard case and frankly immature.

Back to the issue, the Swiss have enjoyed paying for things with NFC enabled phones for quite some time now, about 6 years or so, Kiosk vending machines, SBB/ZVB tickets, pizza delivery services, grocery stores, heck even the Zoo. So Apple's payment system will definitely be a popular addition to those using an iPhone here, especially when paired with a direct debit system with the likes of Credit Suisse and UBS, something I have now with my phone and use more than my actual card. The Apple Watch will of course also be popular but I believe more with the under 30 crowd. I for one have no interest in one as I prefer the look of a mechanical watch, that's just me though, so maybe when a watch manufacturer like say Kairo or Tag finally ships a mechanical hybrid I'll change my mind about smart watches but for now I'm going to pass. I also really don't want to have to charge my watch every night, if the battery doesn't last for at least three days, I have no interest

Anyone planning on visiting Switzerland please let me know, I can hook you guys up with the best places to go, help with finding a hotel on the cheap and free rail tickets. I still have over 12 friends and family rail passes sitting in a drawer some where (also can be used with smart phones). Plus I wouldn't mind getting together for a Coffee, maybe in Luzern.

Lastly, yes, I'm still fighting breast cancer, I am home now after spending a little over a year in the hospital and clinic. I try hard to take life day by day and take nothing for granted. I'm just happy that I survived this long, not for me but for my family.
  • Reply 49 of 57
    No. Surprised it took this long to figure out cnocbui is a troll. Many of us blocked him a long time ago, and for the very same reasons. More like this was that "last straw" post in a long string of useless comments that finally caused MagMan1979 to add cnocbui to the block list.

As to Relic, she's very biased. Look at any discussion involving the Nvidia K1 processor for proof of this. She seems truly upset that Apple makes the most advanced ARM processors.

No, I got upset because you called the Nvidia K1 garbage, which it isn't, it's an incredible chip set for development, I was only trying to defend something that you kept calling crap and had never actually used. I also never said anything of the sort about the A8 being worse, its a great chip. I just can't use them like I can with my 5 K1 Jetson boards stacked up on each other in a cluster. They make awesome development machines for Open CL and Cuda, what else is out there that comes even close, not much I know, I've used about 12 different ARM chipsets before settling on the K1. I have to say the the new MIPS board is pretty cool, I just got two. Your really just twisting my words around to make it sound like I hate that Apple makes better chips or something. I can care less, all I care about is what is actually available for me to use in my personal projects, I can't use the A8 because Apple doesn't make development boards with that chip. This is a perfect case in point where people get upset if I say I enjoy using another product outside of Apples realm.
  • Reply 50 of 57
    cnocbui wrote: »

I have the background, thanks.  Relic is a tech gourmand and has her reasons for being interested in a wide variety of products from multiple different manufactureers.  She has an open and enquiring mind and is not saddled with the technology equivalent of racism, which a good many of the regular posters here seem to suffer from.

You are the one who is clearly over-sensitive.  Being upset at someone because they think highly of an electronic gadget that you don't is pretty messed up.

Thank you for the kind words.
  • Reply 51 of 57
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    relic wrote: »
    Anyone planning on visiting Switzerland please let me know, I can hook you guys up with the best places to go, help with finding a hotel on the cheap and free rail tickets. I still have over 12 friends and family rail passes sitting in a drawer some where (also can be used with smart phones). Plus I wouldn't mind getting together for a Coffee, maybe in Luzern.
    Switzerland is one of those places I'd love to visit but that would be excessively expensive for me right now. My few visits to Europe & Ireland, have all been work related and frankly traveling for work just plain sucks. Often the only stuff you see is the view when you fly in and the look out the limos window if you can stay awake.
    Lastly, yes, I'm still fighting breast cancer, I am home now after spending a little over a year in the hospital and clinic. I try hard to take life day by day and take nothing for granted. I'm just happy that I survived this long, not for me but for my family.

It is good to hear that you are doing better. As I've said before we have your back here and want nothing more that for you to get better.

As for the goofballs that can't understand your posts - well frankly to hell with them.
  • Reply 52 of 57
    sirdirsirdir Posts: 187member
    Good to read about the country of my birth. I now live in Spain and they haven't got the Apple Watch yet, either :(
    When I have to wait half a year to get one I'll get the sports watch instead of a stainless steel one in the end, as the next update will be within some months stretch and the new one will be better available, I guess.
  • Reply 53 of 57
    frykefryke Posts: 217member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sirdir View Post

Good to read about the country of my birth. I now live in Spain and they haven't got the Apple Watch yet, either image

When I have to wait half a year to get one I'll get the sports watch instead of a stainless steel one in the end, as the next update will be within some months stretch and the new one will be better available, I guess.

That's two assumptions I wouldn't dare make yet.

1.) Why should the availability of the 2nd model be any better at the beginning? It surely depends on the capacity to produce them and the amount of people who'll want one.

2.) One year rhythm for Apple Watch? I expect a two-year rhythm. Maybe they'll announce some additional bands or even materials (plastic sport version as an entry level model that uses the same chips/sensors) inbetween "real" new models. Of course, 6 months after first sale is still 6 months closer to the next model – regardless of when that actually happens.

• Reply 54 of 57
    sirdirsirdir Posts: 187member

Originally Posted by fryke View Post

That's two assumptions I wouldn't dare make yet.

1.) Why should the availability of the 2nd model be any better at the beginning? It surely depends on the capacity to produce them and the amount of people who'll want one.

Of  course you can't be sure. But Apple will know more about what models are the most successful ones etc, what problems they had with manifacturing etc.

Also there won't be so much 'hype'. Not everybody that had the first one will buy the second one etc.

Availability of the iPhone was better, the longer it was on the marked already.

Quote:

2.) One year rhythm for Apple Watch? I expect a two-year rhythm. Maybe they'll announce some additional bands or even materials (plastic sport version as an entry level model that uses the same chips/sensors) inbetween "real" new models. Of course, 6 months after first sale is still 6 months closer to the next model – regardless of when that actually happens.

I don't see why the Apple Watch should be on a 2 year rythm. But nobody knows, of course.

• Reply 55 of 57
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Kasper, are you aware that on mobile (iOS) this story shows "Zürich" as "Z?rich"?
  • Reply 56 of 57
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member
    Well played, Relic, well played. ????????????????
  • Reply 57 of 57
    Relic, I don't know if you have any Apple products, but if so, as abreast cancer survivor, have you tried Apple's Research Kit Breast Cancer app? If so what do you think of it? (And good luck to you!)

Regarding Apple Pay: I've been using it here in CH since December on my iPhone 6, via my Delta Amex USA card, I can use it at Migros, CooP, my barber's 2-chair shop; no gas stations and few restaurants yet.