How to sync photos to your Apple Watch

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cy_starkman View Post

as for a text message, so if I take a photo (on my phone), the next thing I want to do instead of texting said photo is to sync that photo to my watch then stuff about on the watch..

house photos as an agent or something I am trying to sell.. wouldn't the interested party already have seen the photos on the website that referred them to me. my dog/child/partner/moment - taken on phone and then not sent to people I wanted to share with for some reason and then a month later bam! I'm like, old dad would love to see that photo of his granddaughter I took yesterday and is now synced to my watch... my latest selfie to the tinder/whatever friend.. taken on my phone now because I want to send it to them now. my special best looking shots, already uploaded to profile..

The photos app is there for one big reason  -- Jony Ive enjoyed looking at photos on his watch. This ultimately led to the decision that gave us a completely unnecessary, extremely large frame bezel compromising the available screen space.

Quote:

Alan Dye later described to me the “pivotal moment” when he and Ive decided “to avoid the edge of the screen as much as possible....when we discovered we loved looking at photos on the watch, and you can’t not show the edge of a photo... In the end, it was maybe putting ourselves first,” he said.

That said, this is exactly why the gen 2 model will likely have a FaceTime camera, for taking the pictures on the watch itself. The whole point of the watch is convenience, and what could be more convenient than answering a FaceTime call from your watch, or snapping a quick spontaneous selfie without digging out your iPhone? Plus that's about the only thing Apple didn't include in the 1st gen model that will give gen 2 an obvious "wow" factor to distinguish it from the original. But even without the camera, there's the ability to store screen shots taken on the watch.

But the bottom line for current use is this, which goes to my earlier question: I send pictures from my iPhone all the time via text, to people who did not receive them originally. So in the name of convenience, when I attach a photo via message on the watch, do I have access to my iPhone to import them? And if not, does the watch send the original full-sized synched photo which has been reduced for the ?Watch? But if the only photos I can attache when sending messages from the watch are stored in the watch, regardless of size, then there's the convenience of having a selection of photos stored on the watch -- especially if they are your "favorites" automatically synched from the iPhone. And the fact you have stored screen shots give you a real reason to send relevant photos from the watch -- let's say you took a screen shot of a particularly important text exchange that you wanted to send to someone else. Now granted this is strictly for convenience, you could just as easily pull out your iPhone and do it arguably easier -- but then the same argument could be made for almost anything you can do on the ?Watch. So once you start pulling at that thread, then why have the watch do anything at all?

• Reply 22 of 31
    pte applepte apple Posts: 82member

I learned a lot before receiving my watch, thanks to all the comments & 'how to posts' - I hit the deck running so to speak.

Apple Watch is more then a 'watch' - hope your start up experience is positive & fun!

also helpful is :

https://support.apple.com/manuals/applewatch

• Reply 23 of 31
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    It's great that you all are posting these "how-to's" and such, by maybe wait till the 99.8% of us who've ordered the watch actually get it?!I mean, how many have actually been sent out? 300k? 

one of mine came in. why should i wait on my content until you get yours? doesnt make much sense.
  • Reply 24 of 31
    pte applepte apple Posts: 82member

I ordered @ 12:20 am - 42mm SS Milanese Loop - received last Thursday - hang in there - it's worth it!!

• Reply 25 of 31

That's a bit selfish on your part, but I'm willing to forgive. Just don't rub it in everybody's face. Most of us who've ordered haven't been so lucky. Congratulations.

• Reply 26 of 31
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    mac_128 wrote: »
    The photos app is there for one big reason  -- Jony Ive enjoyed looking at photos on his watch. This ultimately led to the decision that gave us a completely unnecessary, extremely large frame bezel compromising the available screen space.

do yourself a favor and read the Ive interview in the New Yorker. he says the same thing Jobs did -- it's not a one-man show. they're a team, and they all make cases for and against features. you have absolutely no way of knowing whatsoever who was responsible for the phones app. none.
  • Reply 27 of 31
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    mac_128 wrote: »

Now granted this is strictly for convenience, you could just as easily pull out your iPhone and do it arguably easier -- but then the same argument could be made for almost anything you can do on the ?Watch. So once you start pulling at that thread, then why have the watch do anything at all?

That's a really stupid corner you've painted yourself into. While you're there, do like NolaMacGuy says and read the New Yorker interview. Then listen to last week's Talk Show with Gruber and Adam Lisagor, where they talk about the Watch, its uses, and any camera it might have in the future.

I don't know how to put my last piece of advice, but somehow you've got to find a way to develop a sense of shame, even if it means you lose your job here.
  • Reply 28 of 31
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

^ Was really surprised when they started talking about a camera in the watch on The Talk Show.  Can't see that being a good idea at all, but they were into it.

• Reply 29 of 31
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

^ Was really surprised when they started talking about a camera in the watch on The Talk Show.  Can't see that being a good idea at all, but they were into it.

Yes, exactly, it's almost the first thing anybody asks about the watch, usually followed by surprise and disappointment that it doesn't have one.

Given that Alan Dye revealed that "we discovered we loved looking at photos on the watch" it would be surprising that they didn't also invasion a way to use the watch to get them into it. I keep remembering Tim Cooks keynote where he talked about the FaceTime camera burst mode, and how customers were "really going to love it to take selfies". All I could think at that moment was how pointless I thought that feature was, yet Cook took time out of an information packed keynote to highlight a specific, and frivolous, use for it.

The ?Watch is a lot of things, but first and foremost it is a product of convenience. How much more convenient is it then than to be able to grab a quick selfie while leaving your phone stowed? As you've witnessed, it's the seemingly most trivial features that people respond to, and Tim Cook has underscored that by focusing on it during a keynote, which further demonstrates that Apple is taking these things into consideration as they design products. It's at least as useful as sending your heartbeat, or a digital doodle, to a friend, or loved one. 

• Reply 30 of 31
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    crowley wrote: »

Two gearheads pipe dreaming, as Dr. Milmoss puts it. I'm into it too, but not for FaceTime. The context is that we need a camera at hand that is only two seconds or so from taking a picture. The phone in a pocket is six seconds from getting a picture, too slow.

Why do we need this? Because we can, that's why.
  • Reply 31 of 31
    frixofrixo Posts: 1member
    Or with this app you can view All your Photos ! Yes ALL, no more restriction

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/photo-for-the-watch/id999277266?l=fr&ls=1&mt=8