Apple's iOS holds lead in enterprise for Q1 on strong iPhone 6 demand, but tablet share eroding

Posted:
in iPhone edited May 2015
Riding a wave of record-breaking iPhone sales, Apple remained the market leader in enterprise mobile device activations for the first quarter of 2015, but competitors are slowly eating away at iPad's tablet share, according to Good Technology.


Source: Good Technology


In its Mobility Index Report for the first quarter of 2015, enterprise mobility solutions firm Good Technology found Apple's iOS accounted for 72 percent of all mobile device activations, dropping a single point quarter-over-quarter to Google's Android. Since introducing big-screened iPhone 6 and 6 Plus models, Apple has commanded a 70 percent share of the market.

Building on a strong performance last quarter, Apple's iPhone 6 came in as the most popular enterprise device for the three-month period ending in March, notching 26 percent of all activations. For Android, Samsung's Galaxy S5 took the top spot.

Mirroring consumer trends, Apple and Samsung dominate the mobile market for enterprise solutions. Together, the two companies produced 28 of the top 30 devices tracked in Good's study.

Windows Phone activations held steady at one percent of all device activations. Tablets running Windows Pro helped net Windows one percent of the whole, marking the first time Microsoft's hybrid operating system made it into Good's Mobility Index Report.

Although iPad led the pack in tablets, Apple saw its share drop to 81 percent in the first quarter, down four percent sequentially. Over the past year, Android and Windows devices chipped away at iPad's position, which at one point accounted for 92 percent of the market.

Specifically, Android's share of the enterprise tablet market nearly doubled since early 2014 and now stands at 15 percent after a one-percent bump in quarter one. Microsoft's Surface lineup also sparked interest with certain industries, as Windows saw its share rise from one percent to four percent over the same period.

Good's data showed iOS outpacing Android in regulated industries for the second quarter in a row. According to the report, 80 percent of public sector activations and 76 percent of financial services activations went to iOS.

As expected, Apple's strongest industry was education. Schools have long turned to Mac, and more recently iOS, devices for their teaching needs, in no small part thanks to Apple's aggressive "iPad in education" marketing efforts.

For its most recent study, Good Technology aggregated activation data from its global customer base of more than 6,200 organizations spread across 189 countries. As Good does not have access to BlackBerry's wholly controlled Enterprise Server, results for BlackBerry products were not included in the report.

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 16
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,568member
    Hard to consider 81% eroding market share; seems more like a lack of a catalyst to reduce the replacement cycle, unlike the Windows tablets and to some degree Android offerings.

    In my book, that is mostly a healthy market. Personally, I would love to upgrade my iPad Air 128GB/LTE, but can't justify $830 for a touchID sensor. For me it would take 256GB at the same price point to move the needle. Slower refresh cycles make them much more attractive for business though! If one or two of the critical apps we used was properly web enabled rather than being dependent on Windows I could justify buying half the staff iPads. The workarounds with RDP are too ineffective now.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 1,623member
    Apple is going to be facing tougher competition in the enterprise tablet market for the following reasons:

    1. Balmer is gone.
    2. Intel is finally out with their new broadwell chips.
    3. Ballmer is gone.
    4. Windows 10 is coming.
    5. Ballmer is gone.
    6. Jobs is also gone.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    onepotatoonepotato Posts: 83member
    Apple is doomed.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    rob53rob53 Posts: 1,976member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by K2kW View Post



    Apple is going to be facing tougher competition in the enterprise tablet market for the following reasons:



    1. Balmer is gone.

    2. Intel is finally out with their new broadwell chips.

    3. Ballmer is gone.

    4. Windows 10 is coming.

    5. Ballmer is gone.

    6. Jobs is also gone.

    1, 3, and 5 are only a short term improvement for Microsoft. Windows 10 will have issues being adopted because of the lack of ActiveX in their new browser (IE will be available but I can't see it being supported for long). The joke about Windows 11 never being released (Windows 10 will just have continuous updates) is simply a recognition that Windows 10 is simply NT with window dressing (yes, OSX can be seen as the same thing). Microsoft hasn't really come up with anything new in years, they have been in a holding cycle since they became entrenched in the enterprise. What Intel does really doesn't matter. Enterprises will buy whatever's available when they need to replace their damaged PCs. 

     

    As for #6, Jobs is only physically gone, he's still there in spirit and Apple is still a great company.

  • Reply 5 of 16
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,495member
    rob53 wrote: »
    1, 3, and 5 are only a short term improvement for Microsoft. Windows 10 will have issues being adopted because of the lack of ActiveX in their new browser (IE will be available but I can't see it being supported for long). The joke about Windows 11 never being released (Windows 10 will just have continuous updates) is simply a recognition that Windows 10 is simply NT with window dressing (yes, OSX can be seen as the same thing). Microsoft hasn't really come up with anything new in years, they have been in a holding cycle since they became entrenched in the enterprise. What Intel does really doesn't matter. Enterprises will buy whatever's available when they need to replace their damaged PCs. 

    As for #6, Jobs is only physically gone, he's still there in spirit and Apple is still a great company.

    I'd go so far as to add re #6 that Steve's vision was so clear that it keeps getting sharper, wider and deeper. It's a little-known fact about flashbacks that they don't die with you but are transmitted forward into the world at large, where they really start to create beneficial effects.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,342member

    Obviously the tablet share is going down, Apple haven't released any "really must have upgrades" since the iPad3 in 2012 when they added the retina displays.

     

    Faster processors are obvious but my iPad 3 isn't slow compare to my iPad air. Even my iPad1 doesn't seem that slow.

    Adding a lightning port wasn't worth a new product.

    Making it a bit thinner with less bezel, nice but not essential.

    Touch ID is nice but not worth buying a whole new iPad for.

     

    The next iPad needs to be a game-changer, not just some half baked upgrade.

  • Reply 7 of 16
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

     

    The next iPad needs to be a game-changer, not just some half baked upgrade.


    iPad by its very nature is sort of half baked. It isn't pocketable and it is not a full portable computer either. There are some very niche applications for it, but I view the iPad as mostly a complimentary device for occasional use. It seems the perceived practicality may be starting to change as many people have come to realize that their expectations of replacing a notebook with an iPad were not realistic.

  • Reply 8 of 16
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member
    Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

    Apple haven't released any "really must have upgrades" since the iPad3 in 2012 when they added the retina displays.

     

    So the iPad 4 having a processor that can actually handle a retina display; that wasn’t a valid upgrade?

     

    Even my iPad1 doesn't seem that slow.


     

    Mine does. Just a little. The 12.3” iPad can’t come soon enough.

     

    Adding a lightning port wasn't worth a new product.


     


     

    Good thing they didn’t “just” add one in a new product. They did just add TouchID to the iPad mini, but that’s looking at it the wrong way. Instead of lamenting what they did add, demand what they didn’t. The iPad mini should’ve received a proper update, and they should have waited until they could do that.

     

    Then again, their behavior regarding the iPad mini reaffirms what I’ve always known about it, so I’m fine with that. ;)

     

    Making it a bit thinner with less bezel, nice but not essential.



    Touch ID is nice but not worth buying a whole new iPad for.




     

    And yet, all these things together are worth an upgrade to people who have older iPads. I don’t think you comprehend that these products aren’t disposable or planned to obsolesce like the trolls claim.

     

    Rather, perhaps it’s me who doesn’t comprehend how someone could be stupid enough to buy a new computer/car/furniture every year. I can’t live like that. I buy good things, I use them until they break or until they can’t do what I need them to do, and then I buy a new one.

     

    You know, there are little cultural differences (like in Ireland where every year some towns repaint their houses’ facades in pretty colors, though that might also be a little bit because of salt spray in the air), but there’s still no real personal excuse for planning ahead and buying a product that you can use until it dies.

  • Reply 9 of 16
    herbivoreherbivore Posts: 132member
    Once the iPad pro comes out, the market will scramble to play catch up again. I myself am anxiously awaiting this product.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,724member
    k2kw wrote: »
    Apple is going to be facing tougher competition in the enterprise tablet market for the following reasons:

    1. Balmer is gone.
    2. Intel is finally out with their new broadwell chips.
    3. Ballmer is gone.
    4. Windows 10 is coming.
    5. Ballmer is gone.
    6. Jobs is also gone.

    Why Windows will win:
    1. Apple is doomed
    2. Skylake will solve everything
    3. Apple is doomed
    4. iPad is a consumer toy for media consumption
    5. Apple is doomed
    6. Apple is also doomed
  • Reply 11 of 16
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,772member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

     

    iPad by its very nature is sort of half baked. It isn't pocketable and it is not a full portable computer either. There are some very niche applications for it, but I view the iPad as mostly a complimentary device for occasional use. It seems the perceived practicality may be starting to change as many people have come to realize that their expectations of replacing a notebook with an iPad were not realistic.


    They weren't realistic for the time period people were in. However, going forward they will be more than sufficient for most people's uses. It just takes time for the hardware/software to be built up enough for the iPad much like the iPhone and every other new device that hits the market. The iPhone should technically be able to function as a wallet of sorts. I know many people do don't even buy computers anymore because for their uses a smartphone is plenty.

  • Reply 12 of 16
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,772member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

     

    Obviously the tablet share is going down, Apple haven't released any "really must have upgrades" since the iPad3 in 2012 when they added the retina displays.

     

    Faster processors are obvious but my iPad 3 isn't slow compare to my iPad air. Even my iPad1 doesn't seem that slow.

    Adding a lightning port wasn't worth a new product.

    Making it a bit thinner with less bezel, nice but not essential.

    Touch ID is nice but not worth buying a whole new iPad for.

     

    The next iPad needs to be a game-changer, not just some half baked upgrade.


    Apple hasn't and there really isn't much else to be had TBQH. I think Apple needs to go ahead and officially add phone calling to the iPad and and AppleWatch. Many will still opt for the phone over the iPad and AppleWatch but why give a competitor any perceived functional advantage. 

  • Reply 13 of 16
    entropysentropys Posts: 1,500member
    Surface business share will grow rapidly as IT departments can treat it like just another PC. That is not the case with an iOS device. Worse, it's from Apple that the IT department managed to quarantine in the graphics department for decades before a user led break out over the last five years. IT will have its vengeance on the user. Just you wait.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

     

    They weren't realistic for the time period people were in. However, going forward they will be more than sufficient for most people's uses.


    But the article is not talking about most people. It is talking about enterprise. In our office we are logging onto private networks with shared drives, saving files to them, making email attachments, connecting to projectors, loading presentations to memory sticks, and doing a LOT of typing, copy and paste, annotating PDFs, all of which the iPad is either very awkward, and slow or just not very good at.

  • Reply 15 of 16
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 12,667member
    evilution wrote: »
    Obviously the tablet share is going down, Apple haven't released any "really must have upgrades" since the iPad3 in 2012 when they added the retina displays.
    When I see such silly posts I have to ask what is the missing feature they have to add? The usual response is silence.
    Faster processors are obvious but my iPad 3 isn't slow compare to my iPad air. Even my iPad1 doesn't seem that slow.
    Are you on welfare or the dole as they call it in someplace? I have to ask because you would have to be a slow person to state that iPad 3 is fast. It is anything but fast. In fact when I do upgrade mine it will be due to being driven in that direction by its pokey behavior. Frankly the upgrades Apple has realized so far sumo,y aren't good enough upgrades to even consider and performance is a big reason there.
    Adding a lightning port wasn't worth a new product.
    Actually I agree here, probably for different reasons though. The right solution for the iPads would be a standard and open port. In fact USB-C would be ideal in an iPad.
    Making it a bit thinner with less bezel, nice but not essential.
    Touch ID is nice but not worth buying a whole new iPad for.
    It isn't a big deal at the moment. However Apple pay is winning big time and as such they need to more fully support it on devices that are alternative to the iPhone. I was saddened to see no support on the new Mac Book for example. Oh buy the way on iPads they need to support these machines with merchant software/hardware. That is iPads and Mac laptops need to be able to accept Apple pay transactions.
    The next iPad needs to be a game-changer, not just some half baked upgrade.

    IPads are stable products, upgrades will be incremental. The iPad was a game changer when it was introduced, at this point the product is in maintenance mode. Yes features will be added, performance improved and so on but there is nothing that would be called game changing about to happen. Again iPad was the game changer!!!
  • Reply 16 of 16
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,342member
    wizard69 wrote: »
    When I see such silly posts I have to ask what is the missing feature they have to add? The usual response is silence.
    Are you on welfare or the dole as they call it in someplace? I have to ask because you would have to be a slow person to state that iPad 3 is fast. It is anything but fast. In fact when I do upgrade mine it will be due to being driven in that direction by its pokey behavior.

    I'm not a multi billion dollar company so it's not my job to work out the missing features are. Jobs did say that people don't know what they really want because they haven't seen it yet. What about tech from that variable focus camera they bought? What about dual cameras for "3D" images, thermal imaging, what about something simple like a flash!
    Hidden front facing speakers, make the screen a transducer speaker, quad speakers for better stereo in both orientations.
    Reprogramable internal SIM card, separate memory for iOS. Etc.

    Other companies have caught up in most areas (apart from iOS) so it's up to Apple again to leap ahead.

    I'm not sure why being on welfare would have anything to do with it, that tells me that you have a pretty meh job in some place like Walmart.
    I probably earn more than you and your immediate family combined but, as I said, it means nothing.
    Apart from a few new games, what runs slow on the iPad 3? I don't play many games on mine, I don't have time like you do, what with owning and running 2 companies.
    You say "when you upgrade yours"! So you are still on the iPad 3 and you say that I'm on welfare! I buy every other iPad. 1, 3 and air and have the mini 1 and the newest iPad mini with Touch ID. The best way I found to keep the iPad 3 running at a decent pace is don't upgrade from iOS7, jailbreak it and keep the file system clean from unnecessary files. Mine still flies.
Sign In or Register to comment.