Apple begins shipping space gray, space black Watch orders with link bracelets, modern buckles

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited May 2015
Customers who ordered space gray or space black Apple Watches have begun to receive notifications that their new devices are being readied for shipment, as have those who chose models with a link bracelet or modern buckle.

Apple continues to ship Watches ahead of schedule.

A number of AppleInsider readers have tipped us to the shipment notifications, which began appearing Tuesday afternoon. Shipping of the more complicated models --?both the space gray and space black versions feature an additional anodizing step, while the link bracelet is an intricate design --?indicates that Apple could be on the verge of catching up with initial demand.

Few space gray or space black models have shipped thus far, even for those who ordered the device at midnight on launch day. This has caused consternation for some buyers who have seen other variants, often ordered after their own, arrive earlier.

Internationally, Apple has continued to ship Watches ahead of schedule. Sport units previously slated for a June delivery are being prepared for shipment.

There is still no word on when the Watch may be available in Apple's own retail stores, though its debut is expected to come sometime this summer. Consumers looking to pick up a Watch immediately can head to one of a handful of boutiques around the world --?such as Colette in Paris --?that have stock on hand.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 60
    u2fanhfxu2fanhfx Posts: 1member
    Good example of movement really picking up. Up until this weekend it was only a few charges a day and now seems to have hit a stride.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kU3O7zceWNdlD8GfT-QOmdY2whTRopxIJUTndyJWzvA/htmlview?pli=1&sle=true
  • Reply 2 of 60
    gregquinngregquinn Posts: 77member
    Quote:

Customers who ordered space gray or space black Apple Watches have begun to receive notifications that their new devices are being readied for shipment

I assume that means the second batch of SGs - I'm fortunate to have gotten mine delivered on release day :)

• Reply 3 of 60
    skayskay Posts: 3member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gregquinn View Post

I assume that means the second batch of SGs - I'm fortunate to have gotten mine delivered on release day :)

I foolishly delayed ordering until 3:30 AM on April 10th, so I'm still waiting.

• Reply 4 of 60
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    yep mine is currently out for delivery today. They hit the initial delivery date. Did not like waiting this long, but they are delivering on the day the initially provided.
  • Reply 5 of 60
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    (*checks Order Status again*)

(for the 5th time this morning...)
  • Reply 6 of 60
    taddtadd Posts: 136member
    I ordered a 38mm stainless milanese on May 7th. They claimed Jun 10 to Jun 23 delivery. Yesterday (may 12th) they said it was shipped UPS for delivery today.
  • Reply 7 of 60
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Still June for me (42, SB, Link) sigh.

• Reply 8 of 60
    stephanjobsstephanjobs Posts: 284member
    I am looking to keep my black link and either Sell or Swap the stainless black watch face for a silver.

Just need to figure out the best way to do that. I guess j could sell on eBay.
  • Reply 9 of 60
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    tadd wrote: »
    I ordered a 38mm stainless milanese on May 7th. They claimed Jun 10 to Jun 23 delivery. Yesterday (may 12th) they said it was shipped UPS for delivery today.
    Wow! That's quite a surprise!

But I am perplexed as to why their inventory estimates are so out of line with reality, this far after the launch. But good to see them finally catching up with demand.
  • Reply 10 of 60
    kiowavtkiowavt Posts: 95member
    Mine already landed in the my mailbox. Alas, travel for work and won't see it for about two weeks. So some are coming, but I am sure many have arrived. 38mm for me, and those seem to have been quicker through the system.
  • Reply 11 of 60
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    mac_128 wrote: »

I am perplexed as to why their inventory estimates are so out of line with reality, this far after the launch.

So you're perplexed. What's a synonym? Puzzled? Worried? Confused? How about concerned?

That's it, concerned. That Apple don't know what they're doing, or they're witholding information, or lying . . .

How about the possibility that the variables of their component supplies are essentially unpredictable, "this far" (less than three weeks) after the launch?

You're concerned. We have a word that goes with that.
  • Reply 12 of 60
    gregquinn wrote: »
    You're the first person I've seen to have claimed they got their watch with link band on launch day.

Or did you mean a stainless steel watch with a different band option?

I ordered my stainless black at 12:02 April 10th and I received a May ship date.
  • Reply 13 of 60
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

I ordered a Space Gray Sport 42 but then cancelled. I'm going to wait for Gen. 2. I don't wear watches very often anyway. Next year the platform will have matured and become more useful. I'm happy for you early adopters though.

• Reply 14 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by StephanJobs View Post

You're the first person I've seen to have claimed they got their watch with link band on launch day.

Or did you mean a stainless steel watch with a different band option?

I ordered my stainless black at 12:02 April 10th and I received a May ship date.

Yeah, I think he meant SS with non SS band.  I have heard of some SS with link bracelets that shipped yesterday. To my knowledge, no black SS with link bracelets have shipped yet.  I also ordered my black SS with link bracelet on April 10th at 12:05 AM and I'm in the May 13-27 bracket too.  But I'm out of the country May 16-25.  I have a feeling the black SS link watches won't start shipping until next week.  But I hope I am wrong. 

• Reply 15 of 60
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I ordered a Space Gray Sport 42 but then cancelled. I'm going to wait for Gen. 2. I don't wear watches very often anyway. Next year the platform will have matured and become more useful. I'm happy for you early adopters though.

I thought about that and then went, screw it, life's too short and there's the resale market.

My observation in tech is there's always better on the horizon....

Plus, while I sometimes wear a wristwatch for work (I handle hazardous biological and chemical items where touching anything is a no-no), this isn't a watch anymore than my iPhone is a pocket watch,  though they both can display the time.... IMHO anyway.

• Reply 16 of 60
    gprovidagprovida Posts: 258member
    I ordered my 38mm Stainess Steel Apple Watch with Milanese Band on 6 May got credit card billed 11 May, shipping notice 12 May, and it should be delivered today. In other worfds, 7 days. Note I also ordered white sport band as well and it is still in process.

It seems some models have great availability.
  • Reply 17 of 60
    gprovidagprovida Posts: 258member
    I hope Cook gives some data on watch sales, the speculation is all over map.
  • Reply 18 of 60

I'm pretty sure by "SG" he meant Space Gray which would be a sport model and NOT have the link bracelet.

• Reply 19 of 60
    jfc1138 wrote: »

I thought about that and then went, screw it, life's too short and there's the resale market.

My observation in tech is there's always better on the horizon....

Plus, while I sometimes wear a wristwatch for work (I handle hazardous biological and chemical items where touching anything is a no-no), this isn't a watch anymore than my iPhone is a pocket watch,  though they both can display the time.... IMHO anyway.

My feelings as well. I've been reading about apple patents for the past 4-5 years...I don't want to wait any longer for it. Besides I want notifications on my wrist.
    Tired of women looking at my phone like its the damn New York stock exchange.
  • Reply 20 of 60
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

I don't resell any of my tech stuff. I give it away. This last weekend I put a perfectly good iMac 20" core duo (2006) on the curb. It was gone in a couple of minutes. Usually I hand down my used iPhones and iPads to family , employees or friends.