Apple on track for another 51+ million iPhone sales this quarter, research says

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30

Apple should just deal with Intel - an American company with American jobs - (in the big picture who cares if it costs a little more - the money stays here in the US!) and Fab their next gen processors with Intel's latest process tech - it would leapfrog them a generation or two in front of Samsung, combined with Apple's more efficient architecture would be an unbeatable combination. Right now Apple pouring money into TSMC and Sammy fabs is ultimately going to hurt the US in one of the few manufacturing areas we lead globally at. Invest at home and make a better product!

• Reply 22 of 30
    blazarblazar Posts: 270member
    Battery life and force touch UI enhancements. Nice enough for me.
  • Reply 23 of 30
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by currentinterest View Post

Force Touch, 2 GB RAM , A9, and better camera will be all that is needed to produce record breaking (again) sales.

And those are what will exactly happen. An average Joe (most iPhone users) doesn't even know or care about RAM, CPU, GPU specs. As long as the phone is physically differentiated somehow, he'll buy it. Let's say: metal ring for TouchID. For us in tech forum, we look more into specs and performance to buy the device.

• Reply 24 of 30
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by blazar View Post

Battery life and force touch UI enhancements. Nice enough for me.

I bet you that Apple will increase the CPU/GPU spec. I would say quadcore CPU and retain 8-core GPU, maybe higher clock speed.

• Reply 25 of 30
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,095member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

It would be an uncharacteristic move, but Apple always has the option at some point in the future of going ahead and making an inexpensive model iPhone to completely gut and destroy the Android market. Unlikely, I know, but not impossible.

Apple could easily make a "cheap" phone and take the hit for a year if it wanted.  Apple is smart enough to know that it's not just the iPhone, but it's ecosystem.  

A cheap phone would get them in the door but honestly, folks buying free/cheap Android phones probably aren't at the income-level or have the disposable income anyways.  

• Reply 26 of 30
    michael scripmichael scrip Posts: 1,916member
    sflocal wrote: »
    Apple could easily make a "cheap" phone and take the hit for a year if it wanted.  Apple is smart enough to know that it's not just the iPhone, but it's ecosystem.  

A cheap phone would get them in the door but honestly, folks buying free/cheap Android phones probably aren't at the income-level or have the disposable income anyways.

How cheap is cheap?

Plus... Apple can't make it too good... or else people will stop paying $649 for the top model.

But it also can't be too bad either... or else it will tarnish Apple's reputation.

It's a dangerous game... and that's probably why Apple isn't playing it.

I know people hate car analogies here... but indulge me:

This is why BMW doesn't make a $16,000 car. They have a standard they'd like to adhere to.

Meanwhile... Honda is perfectly happy to sell you a $16,000 car.

They are different philosophies.
  • Reply 27 of 30
    jony0jony0 Posts: 378member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by currentinterest View Post

Force Touch, 2 GB RAM , A9, and better camera will be all that is needed to produce record breaking (again) sales.

Exactly my wish list.

I've been waiting for haptic feedback screens for a few years now ever since the first rumours of different impending electric or piezoelectric technologies that could simulate textures such as sand, pebbles or concrete side by side. My main interest is for an eyes-free remote control for home theatre. I have a touch screen remote for the amp that I find useless because I have to pick up my glasses, hit the backlight button and then search for the function. I quickly gave up and simply setup my programmable remote so as to feel my way to buttons while still enjoying what’s going on.

I can see how the taptic engine could be modulated to simulate different textures or feelings depending on where your finger is on the screen, giving a pseudo-haptic experience if you will, using simpler, cheaper and most importantly, readily available technology. It would indeed literally give another dimension to the user interface, albeit Braille will have to wait for true haptic.

It could be configured to give the impression of the contour of a button, I believe the new MacBook does something of the sort. One could feel their way while touching the screen and then push the button, which could bring hovering to touch screens, still an exclusive feature for mouse or trackpad. Obviously this should be optional as it probably would require more energy. Along with pressure sensitivity, it opens up many possibilities and this is only the beginning. I for one hope these rumours are true.

• Reply 28 of 30
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

I bet you that Apple will increase the CPU/GPU spec. I would say quadcore CPU and retain 8-core GPU, maybe higher clock speed.

You are totally incorrect, funny though

• Reply 29 of 30
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Let me guess, Apple will have another blockbuster quarter with strong guidance and the stock will drop 2% the next day. And the usual suspects who can't use guidance as their explanation will claim it's because all good news is already priced into the stock. And the Gene Munsters of the world will go on CNBC fretting about the difficult comps for next year.

sog35 wrote: »
    its all a shell game for investment banks/hedge funds to buy cheap shares.

There was a funny scene in Silicon Valley on why showing revenue is bad.