Audible enables CarPlay support, Mercedes-Benz prepares Apple Watch app

Posted:
in iPhone edited May 2015
Amazon-owned Audible on Monday added CarPlay support to its audiobook app for iOS, while Mercedes-Benz revealed an upcoming Apple Watch app that will handle functions like navigation and vehicle status updates.

Audible comes to CarPlay

People with a CarPlay-compatible vehicle or head unit should see an Audible icon appear on their dash automatically if they have the app installed on a connected iPhone. The Apple CarPlay platform makes it possible to use an iPhone a vehicle without creating a dangerous distraction, thanks to dashboard integration and a simplified interface.

The Audible app has received several general updates as well, including improvements to the Sleep Timer, Discover mode, and the tab bar. The Lock Screen and Control Center's track control icons should now accurately reflect whether a user has them set to 30-second forward/back or chapter skip.

The app is a free download for any device with iOS 7.0 or later.

Mercedes-Benz on Apple Watch

For the MB Companion App, coming sometime this fall, users will initially have to own a Mercedes C- or S-Class car, although support for more models is promised to come at a later date.

The main feature will be easy transitions between walking and driving directions. Selecting a destination on the Watch will first provide walking directions to the car, then pass guidance to Mercedes' COMAND Online system once the vehicle is started. Parking will switch the Watch back to walking mode.

Other planned features include the ability to check odometer readings, fuel level, available range, and a vehicle's maintenance code.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Well, alright then. 

• Reply 2 of 10
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,949member
    I am waiting for second generation aftermarket CarPlay unit for my 2015 Forester. Alpine's makes you lose your XM, HD Radio, and any CD functionality you might have. Pioneer is more fully featured, but I am not convinced it will take advantage of car's internal GPS and Harmon Kardon amp. Would hate to bypass all that. Too much to hope Subaru will offer an OEM upgrade when they start including CarPlay on 2016 or 2017 models.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    blazarblazar Posts: 270member
    Doors and ignition, this makes it worth it. The rest is nonsense.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blazar View Post

Doors and ignition, this makes it worth it. The rest is nonsense.

Agreed. What about unlocking and starting the car?

• Reply 5 of 10
    I'm really interested in a CarPlay and want to get it in my next automobile purchase (probably a Honda in 2017) however, I've never seen this feature advertised on car sites? Perhaps I am missing it or is it not released yet? I thought it was available on Honda models now. Can anyone clarify the situation to me? Thanks.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Put up or shut up Mercedes. I bought your C class this year after you touted Carplay support 9 months before the car came out - then a week before release you removed Carplay as an option.

Mercedes Comand interface sucks. They put 3G wireless chips in the car which isn't fast enough to stream their internet radio - and they won't let you use your superior 4G LTE connection for it.

Mercedes claiming to support carplay or apple watch is the equivalent of your parents trying to listen to Nirvana to make you think they're cool.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    2old4fun2old4fun Posts: 239member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

I am waiting for second generation aftermarket CarPlay unit for my 2015 Forester. Alpine's makes you lose your XM, HD Radio, and any CD functionality you might have. Pioneer is more fully featured, but I am not convinced it will take advantage of car's internal GPS and Harmon Kardon amp. Would hate to bypass all that. Too much to hope Subaru will offer an OEM upgrade when they start including CarPlay on 2016 or 2017 models.

My Pioneer AVH-4000NEX has the HD Radio and CD functions.  It supposedly supports Sirus/XM but I do not have it so I can not say for sure how it works.  GPS is handled by my iPhone 6 while other Pioneer units have GPS built in.  The CarPlay function is great.  The only thing I miss is FaceTime calls.  Text reading by Siri is handy as is "Hey Siri call my wife" or other Contacts entries.  I am very happy with the Pioneer and CarPlay.

• Reply 8 of 10
    citivascitivas Posts: 14member
    Shouldn't their priority be to actually get this in some cars, other than the after-market? They are coming on 2 years behind. And despite the claim of it being in a ton of brands, only a few seem to have it even listed on their product roadmap for this year and even then that's later in the year. Toyota, Honda, BMW, etc. all have new cars coming out with new gen infotainment systems and none include it.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    2old4fun2old4fun Posts: 239member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by citivas View Post

Shouldn't their priority be to actually get this in some cars, other than the after-market? They are coming on 2 years behind. And despite the claim of it being in a ton of brands, only a few seem to have it even listed on their product roadmap for this year and even then that's later in the year. Toyota, Honda, BMW, etc. all have new cars coming out with new gen infotainment systems and none include it.

Apple is not in control of what goes into a car.  And it normally takes about 3 years from design to implementation for new cars so I am not holding my breath for the car companies to have it just yet.  My wife has a new Ford Explorer with the Sync system, it is bad.  My Pioneer is much better except for integration with the car.  The factory fit and finish is always better.  The microphone pickup is better in the Explorer than the aftermarket install.  Apple Maps wins hands down over the GPS in the Explorer.  I have the ability to have Siri send texts and read me incoming texts that the Explorer does not have.

There are a lot of cars on the road that can be fitted with aftermarket units that are more affordable than buying a new car just to get CarPlay.  That is why I leased the Explorer, I am hoping in 3 more years Ford will make good on having a factory install that supports CarPlay.

• Reply 10 of 10
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    therealiso wrote: »
    I'm really interested in a CarPlay and want to get it in my next automobile purchase (probably a Honda in 2017) however, I've never seen this feature advertised on car sites? Perhaps I am missing it or is it not released yet? I thought it was available on Honda models now. Can anyone clarify the situation to me? Thanks.
    Kia/Hyundai will be the first automotive line to offer Carplay. I'd wager it will happen in the next couple of weeks too since Android Auto was just released for the 2015 Sonata which was also promised to have Carplay. What's nice is that it can be added as a free software update by the dealer (consumer-enabled update coming soon) even if it didn't come with it as long as you bought the nav option. No reason for Carplay to be handled any differently.