Apple launches new 15-inch MacBook Pro with Force Touch trackpad

Comments

• Reply 21 of 80
    thewhitefalconthewhitefalcon Posts: 4,453member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by prof View Post

No matte display == no buy.

I know man, I'm still rocking my 12" PowerBook G4 until they give me a 12" MacBook with matte and a 4:3 display.

I'm kidding, I have newer laptops. Still love that 12" though.
  • Reply 22 of 80
    This is the most disappointing thing ever!! If I'm correct there have been 3 MacBook Pro Haswel refreshes. Hopefully this means skylake is coming soon, maybe in time for the fall.
  • Reply 23 of 80
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

Apple, ship a Retina 17-inch model and you have my money.

The 17" is probably never coming back.   I liked it too, but they only sold 50k of them per year.

• Reply 24 of 80
    dk49dk49 Posts: 267member
    I thought they might release a redesigned model based on the new macbook - thinner, lighter, more colours (but with more connectivity options) and of course, with touch id. I hope they do it in September with Intel skylake.
  • Reply 25 of 80
    inklinginkling Posts: 772member
    I wondered why the price of used 15" MacBook Pros on Craigslist seemed to have dropped quite a bit in recent months. This is apparently why. Some people simply must own the latest and greatest.
  • Reply 26 of 80
    pte applepte apple Posts: 82member

I had a 2011 MBP 17" but traded in for a 15" Retina SS MBA last fall - I was concerned the screen size would be an issue  - not - with the HDMI - that is why i traded in - I connect to a 27" monitor. For couch surfing the 15" works well.

The trade in thru PowerOn got me an Apple Store gift card which paid for a good chunk of a 42mm Milanese Loop Apple Watch.

Force touch is amazing but not enough for me to trade in my MBP again - wait to see what the future brings.

edit: not able to find in the Apple online store - I purchased 11/2014 at Apple store in WA - not sure if still available?

• Reply 27 of 80
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by daveinpublic View Post

Can you manually upgrade the RAM higher than 16gb?

There's only 2 RAM slots, and I haven't been able to find 16GB RAM modules for it (OWC only has 8GB modules), so I'm thinking not.

As for the original poster talking about Safari + Mail taking 16GB of RAM, I highly doubt it.  However, I can get up to around 12 GB with a heavy Xcode build, so I try to avoid running other major apps while I'm doing that.

• Reply 28 of 80
    Quote:

Originally Posted by auxio View Post

There's only 2 RAM slots, and I haven't been able to find 16GB RAM modules for it (OWC only has 8GB modules), so I'm thinking not.

As for the original poster talking about Safari + Mail taking 16GB of RAM, I highly doubt it.  However, I can get up to around 12 GB with a heavy Xcode build, so I try to avoid running other major apps while I'm doing that.

The Retina MBP's have soldered LPDDR3. No slots.

• Reply 29 of 80
    scartartscartart Posts: 201member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dcskater620 View Post

This is the most disappointing thing ever!! If I'm correct there have been 3 MacBook Pro Haswel refreshes. Hopefully this means skylake is coming soon, maybe in time for the fall.

If Skylake MBPs were coming soon then Apple wouldn't have bothered with today's refresh.

• Reply 30 of 80
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

The Retina MBP's have soldered LPDDR3. No slots.

Kinda surprising for a pro machine.  But then I've never really needed more than 16GB of RAM on a machine (my desktop dev machines only have that much), so it doesn't bother me.  Now that most software is cross-platform or cloud-based, I never need to run VMs on my laptop anymore (the big reason for needing more RAM).

• Reply 31 of 80
    profprof Posts: 84member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Inkling View Post

I wondered why the price of used 15" MacBook Pros on Craigslist seemed to have dropped quite a bit in recent months. This is apparently why. Some people simply must own the latest and greatest.

Maybe because of the dGPU debacles of the non-retina versions?

• Reply 32 of 80
    profprof Posts: 84member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

I know man, I'm still rocking my 12" PowerBook G4 until they give me a 12" MacBook with matte and a 4:3 display.

I'm kidding, I have newer laptops. Still love that 12" though.

There's simply no reason to trade my Early 2011 17" for a newer version. It has plenty of connectors, it's big, it's matte, it's still frickin' fast, I could put in a 1TB SSD if I wanted to, it's a thing of a few minutes to swap the SSD into another machine if something breaks again (looking at you dGPU!) and it also runs Yosemite (whether that can be considered an upside is a totally different matter but unlike with the newer devices I actually have a choice...). The retina devices really are a sidegrade for me, no upgrade. So I'll keep using it until it breaks and then I'll consider my options including going Hackintosh...

• Reply 33 of 80
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dk49 View Post

I was hoping they would introduce a redesigned model based on the new macbook - thinner, lighter, more colours (but with more connectivity options). Hope they do it around September this year with intel skylake.

Won't happen.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philotech View Post

Arstechnica has confirmed with Apple that the CPU is indeed Haswell and not Broadwell. Kind of disappointing but Skylake is near!

Not in the config Apple uses in 15" MBP's

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcskater620 View Post

Intel  has well-known patterns.  Even if the first Skylake SKUs come out in the fall, a good number of months minimum for higher end parts.

• Reply 34 of 80
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by LJC94512 View Post

This upgrade has no Broadwell processors (it is still Haswell; check Apple website and Schiller didn't say processors upgrade) so the Iris Pro graphics is still from Haswell and RAM is still 1600MHz and no LPDDR3. Only the flash storage has upgraded along with Force Touch trackpad and battery life and discrete graphics. What a shame

No shit. Yeah, what a shame Apple couldn't pull this new processor out of their ass, since it hasn't been supplied by Intel yet. Tim Cook must go, right? For those of us aware that Broadwell for this form factor is not avaialble yet, actually planning to use this new machine for work, 2.5X SSD, 80% faster discreet graphics, faster CPU speeds, and improved battery life are pretty significant changes. There is no "shame" here. 

• Reply 35 of 80
    ljc94512ljc94512 Posts: 54member
    slurpy wrote: »
    No shit. Yeah, what a shame Apple couldn't pull this new processor out of their ass, since it hasn't been supplied by Intel yet. Tim Cook must go, right? For those of us aware that Broadwell for this form factor is not avaialble yet, actually planning to use this new machine for work, 2.5X SSD, 80% faster discreet graphics, faster CPU speeds, and improved battery life are pretty significant changes. There is no "shame" here. 

Not saying this is Apple's fault, since Broadwell quad core is not ready. The graphics and especially SSDs still makes this a worthwhile upgrade for people using MacBook Pro before 2011 or 2012. I'm not bashing Apple here; it's just a shame to see Broadwell not ready yet. Hopefully both sizes will be upgraded early next year for Skylake.
  • Reply 36 of 80
    dk49dk49 Posts: 267member
    I was actually referring to a refreshed 13 inch macbook pro with skylake and new macbook design to launch this fall. Intel has confirmed that skylake will be out by July, so it's possible that 13 inch MBP may launch in fall as it does not require very high end processor like 15 mbp..
    bigpics wrote: »
    Won't happen.....

Not in the config Apple uses in 15" MBP's

Intel  has well-known patterns.  Even if the first Skylake SKUs come out in the fall, a good number of months minimum for higher end parts.
  • Reply 37 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LJC94512 View Post

Not saying this is Apple's fault, since Broadwell quad core is not ready. The graphics and especially SSDs still makes this a worthwhile upgrade for people using MacBook Pro before 2011 or 2012. I'm not bashing Apple here; it's just a shame to see Broadwell not ready yet. Hopefully both sizes will be upgraded early next year for Skylake.

Sorry, your post made it sound as if it was a failure on Apple's part for not including Haswell chips in the update. Clearly not under their control, and they did the best they could with this update. Personally I wouldn't have minded a redesign, but can't really complain about the current design either. 

• Reply 38 of 80
    ljc94512ljc94512 Posts: 54member
    slurpy wrote: »
    Sorry, your post made it sound as if it was a failure on Apple's part for not including Haswell chips in the update. Clearly not under their control, and they did the best they could with this update. Personally I would have minded a small redesign, but can't really complain about the current design either. 

I see my first post not clear enough. But yeah I agree with you. I'm on mid 2012 15' retina MacBook Pro now. My dream machine would be in 2017 getting the highest end MBPr with Cannonlake, 16GB 1866MHz LPDDR3 (even better if it is DDR4L or LPDDR4 and 32GB, but that doesn't matter), along with better graphics, even faster SSDs or maybe an improved Retina display with even better colours and maybe slightly higher ppi.
  • Reply 39 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by prof View Post

There's simply no reason to trade my Early 2011 17" for a newer version. It has plenty of connectors, it's big, it's matte, it's still frickin' fast, I could put in a 1TB SSD if I wanted to, it's a thing of a few minutes to swap the SSD into another machine if something breaks again (looking at you dGPU!) and it also runs Yosemite (whether that can be considered an upside is a totally different matter but unlike with the newer devices I actually have a choice...). The retina devices really are a sidegrade for me, no upgrade. So I'll keep using it until it breaks and then I'll consider my options including going Hackintosh...

Cool story bro. Then don't. 

But don't worry, I'm sure on some future model Apple will just suddenly add 20 ports to make you happy, and make it "big". Clearly more ports are the future. 

• Reply 40 of 80
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PTE APPLE View Post

I had a 2011 MBP 17" but traded in for a 15" Retina SS MBA last fall - I was concerned the screen size would be an issue

Please please please tell me where you can get a 15" rMBA!