Second-gen Automatic car adapter adds GPS, real-time data, third-party app support

Posted:
in iPhone edited May 2015
Automatic Labs on Tuesday launched a upgraded version of the Automatic, a Bluetooth adapter that plugs into a vehicle's OBD-II (on-board diagnostic) port and communicates with a paired iOS or Android device.

The updated hardware now supports dual Bluetooth streams, allowing it to send data to two apps simultaneously, as well as a built-in GPS receiver and new connector that should better fit more cars. The unit is Made for iPhone-certified.

Automatic's new hardware design is in large part meant to support improvements to the Automatic software platform, such as the ability to monitor car performance in real-time, and full support for third-party apps. Accordingly the company has launched a Web-based App Gallery currently highlighting over 20 compatible titles.

Three iOS-only apps capable of accessing real-time Automatic data include DashCommand, OBD Fusion, and Harry's LapTimer.

In addition, developers can now make use of the Automatic Developer Platform, which includes APIs for functions like trip logs, driving events, and real-time data. The software developer kit additionally bundles libraries, documentation, sample apps, and a Developer Apps Manager needed to register and submit apps.

The second-generation Automatic adapter is available for $100.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Just yesterday I was telling someone that I wanted one but was waiting to see if a second gen added anything I'd want. Glad the company overheard me!
  • Reply 2 of 9
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    I've had gen 1 almost a year. It works well. Automatic has laid a great foundation, but the platform needs expanded capabilities. I look forward to seeing what app developers come up with.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    yeah i dig mine. nifty little device.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member
    Ooh, maybe it can do an OTA update to my Takata airbag.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

Ooh, maybe it can do an OTA update to my Takata airbag.

Ya, Not happening!!!   Air bags are serous business.  You need a Pro scanner (Which I happen to have) to even get error codes from them.  Air bag going off in your face can kill you.  Hell just going off is a expensive repair job.  You need to know what you're doing.  No little Plug in device like this will do much of anything other then Basic OBDII codes and maybe some engine readings.

• Reply 6 of 9
    photodenkphotodenk Posts: 37member
    jbdragon wrote: »
    Ya, Not happening!!!   Air bags are serous business.  You need a Pro scanner (Which I happen to have) to even get error codes from them.  Air bag going off in your face can kill you.  Hell just going off is a expensive repair job.  You need to know what you're doing.  No little Plug in device like this will do much of anything other then Basic OBDII codes and maybe some engine readings.
    . I'm pretty sure macinthe408 was joking in reference to the new Takata news today.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    krreagankrreagan Posts: 218member
    I have one of the first gen units... It's nice but an under achiever. It needs more functionality for the price... and more then a $20 discount to upgrade a gen one to a gen two. Should be $40 discount.

Much needed GPS and should use the accelerometer to better affect. It also needs more configuration parameters... Sometimes it dings me for just stopping for a red light. Not even very hard... I'd hate to go through the intersection just to avoid the ding
  • Reply 8 of 9
    jbdragon wrote: »

Not quite. Ford and Mazda owners can do just about everything now with FORScan and a cheap Bluetooth adapter.
  • Reply 9 of 9

I just wish they made it so you could keep the data yourself, on your phone, instead of requiring everything to be sent to Automatic's servers.

And there is NOTHING special about reading codes from other systems, such as air-bags, abs brakes, the transmission, etc.  It's all just software.  You don't need a $300 device to do it, they just have done a good job of segmenting the market to make the devices that do it cost that much.  Hell, one company charges an extra $100 so you can download the data from the reader to your computer.