Apple upgrades some 27" non-Retina iMac orders to 5K model following price cut

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 56
    Quote:

Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

That is definitely NOT an upgrade, particularly for those looking for a top non-retina iMac with the 780M - alas, such an option is no more...so now you get an el-cheapo 5K with the even more underpowered R290M, or the normal 5K already in the market.

I agree with the point of your post.

But I dislike your racist slur.  You might think it's innocuous, but in reality when the allusion to a Spanish accent ("el-cheapo") is added to a derogatory expression ("cheap"), you perpetuate prejudice.  Especially when nothing in the product or company relates to anything made, designed, or sold by Spanish-language people.

/rant.

• Reply 42 of 56
    The whining is incredible.
    -100Mhz
    i5 not specs enough
    No Broadwell
    No Skyunicorn
    Retina display is too many pixels
    M290 not 1337 enough
    I hate U2

There is a Cancel Order button. Please use it, get satisfaction. For the rest of you trolls who didn't order one: what are you complaining about? Still whining about U2gate?
  • Reply 43 of 56
    brlawyerbrlawyer Posts: 828member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

But I dislike your racist slur.  You might think it's innocuous, but in reality when the allusion to a Spanish accent ("el-cheapo") is added to a derogatory expression ("cheap"), you perpetuate prejudice.  Especially when nothing in the product or company relates to anything made, designed, or sold by Spanish-language people.

/rant.

Apologies, no racist slur intended - thought this was a run-of-the-mill expression whenever talking about lower quality products; and had no idea whether this has anything to do with Hispanic quality prejudices. In any case, you get my point: it's about Apple giving you something you not only have not asked for; but also worse in the end.

• Reply 44 of 56
    brlawyerbrlawyer Posts: 828member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

-100Mhz

i5 not specs enough

No Broadwell

No Skyunicorn

M290 not 1337 enough

I hate U2

There is a Cancel Order button. Please use it, get satisfaction. For the rest of you trolls who didn't order one: what are you complaining about? Still whining about U2gate?

If they ordered the 780M model, that order should be honored, full stop. Getting a cheap 5K is, at most, an option to be left at the discretion of the customer.

• Reply 45 of 56
    ktappektappe Posts: 824member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cali View Post

why couldn't Apple wait until WWDC to announce these and the new MacBook Pro?

Because WWDC is about software, not hardware. Has been for years. True, there were times in the now distant past when hardware was revealed at WWDC, but those days have been gone since before Steve's death.

• Reply 46 of 56
    ktappektappe Posts: 824member
    Quote:

when the allusion to a Spanish accent ("el-cheapo") is added to a derogatory expression ("cheap"), you perpetuate prejudice.

Really?  REALLY???  This is genuinely looking for something to be upset about.  

• Reply 47 of 56
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member

/rant.
    Interesting. I never heard it as a derogatory expression.
  • Reply 48 of 56
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Quote:

/rant.

Give me a break Amigo... 

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Interesting. I never heard it as a derogatory expression.

I'm hispanic, both my parents are from Mexico.  It's a figure of speech.  Heck, even I say it.  It's not racist, a slur, or anything else that can have a negative connotation attached to it.  If it's a "derogatory expression", that that's the first time I ever heard of it.  He needs to have a cup of tea and chill out.

• Reply 49 of 56
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

-100Mhz

i5 not specs enough

No Broadwell

No Skyunicorn

M290 not 1337 enough

I hate U2

Because whining like a bratty child is easier than hitting the "cancel" button.

Quote:

Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

If they ordered the 780M model, that order should be honored, full stop. Getting a cheap 5K is, at most, an option to be left at the discretion of the customer.

Those customers can cancel their orders.  What WILL happen is those customers that ordered that non-retina iMac will then complain that they COULD have gotten the retina iMac instead!  It's a no-win scenario where you're concerned.

• Reply 50 of 56
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    brlawyer wrote: »

That is definitely NOT an upgrade, particularly for those looking for a top non-retina iMac with the 780M - alas, such an option is no more...so now you get an el-cheapo 5K with the even more underpowered R290M, or the normal 5K already in the market.

Which is what I meant by "I'm confused " on the first reply.

Seems more like a side grade. A compromise- neither good or bad.
    zoetmb wrote: »
    It's very simple.   There's nothing new to announce.   The new lower-priced iMacRetina is just the existing machine with a slower processor and a non-Fusion drive.      

And the new 15" MacBook Pros are the old machines + Force Touch, which already exist in the 13" models.  

So I'm sure when Tim summarizes where Apple is at, he'll mention that the whole MacBook Pro line + the MacBook is now Force Touch, but it would have been laughable to highlight these machines as something new at WWDC.  They're just small incremental upgrades.    

True. I see people replying that it's not a big deal but remember 2 conferences ago when Apple excited people with the tag line "it's been too long". At the end they announced a cheaper weaker Mac Mini. People were so disappointed they were still confused at what Apple meant with the tag line.

I know it's an awesome software conference, and I'm %100 confident much bigger things will be announced but I just think it would be cool if at the end Tim said "And by the way, NEW Macbook Pros, Cheaper iMacs, NEW Beats available...TODAY". Before dropping the mic.
  • Reply 51 of 56
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    brlawyer wrote: »

Very few people wanted the free U2 album - and I was not one of them, thankfully.

not the point. it didnt hurt you in any way. yet you probably whined about it.
  • Reply 52 of 56
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    co4nd wrote: »
    I'd be pissed, I don't want the retina display because the one on my Macbook pro causes too many problems with Windows and Linux Virtual machines and remote logins, so much so that I hardly use the laptop screen for work anymore and use an external non retina monitor as my only display.

What do you use to run your VM's?

I run VMWare Fusion and it has an option to ignore the retina display and displays it as if you display is non retina.
  • Reply 53 of 56
    frantisekfrantisek Posts: 756member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cali View Post

I'm confused.

And why couldn't Apple wait until WWDC to announce these and the new MacBook Pro?

Is it by hat Apple has so many hit products that they can't announce them all at the event?*

*I know Apple has done this for years but surprise refreshes always seemed weird to me. Especially so close to one of their events.

Then Apple has too much to present on WWDC so they have to make some room for it :-). We can look forward iOS 9, OS X 11, HomeKit, Streaming service, AppleTV and God / Steve ;) / know what else. Maybe some CarPlay, Maps, Watch news and of course some good news about briliant sales. iPad Pro probably not.

• Reply 54 of 56
    chopschops Posts: 5member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by chops View Post

In April we ordered 50 of the 27" non-retina i7 iMacs. The retina display is very nice, but we don't care all that much about it, however the i7 is very important to us. The order was delayed for almost a month. Then this morning I was notified that our order had been "upgraded" to the new i5 retina model. The only upgrade was the display, while the CPU is a downgrade, so I have asked our vendor to ask our Apple rep for iMacs with the i7 CPU. We'll see how that goes...

FWIW, the Apple rep took care of the problem by providing the true upgrade: We're getting the i7 5K iMacs. Excellent.

• Reply 55 of 56
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    The older 27" iMac has the same lack of easy access as the Retina model, so that's pointless. And I really doubt someone ordered a $2000 computer to use for TDM.
    That's funny, most people don't report performance issues with the 5K iMac.

Depends on youre needs i guess.
  • Reply 56 of 56
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    frantisek wrote: »
    Then Apple has too much to present on WWDC so they have to make some room for it :-). We can look forward iOS 9, OS X 11, HomeKit, Streaming service, AppleTV and God / Steve ;) / know what else. Maybe some CarPlay, Maps, Watch news and of course some good news about briliant sales. iPad Pro probably not.

I wanna see new Maps, Beats and search but mighty be too soon for those.
    chops wrote: »

FWIW, the Apple rep took care of the problem by providing the true upgrade: We're getting the i7 5K iMacs. Excellent.

Now THAT's an upgrade!