Pebble struggling to secure new funding in wake of Apple Watch, rumor claims

Comments

• Reply 41 of 78
    gigawiregigawire Posts: 196member
    Unlike smartphones, there isn't a lower end for wearables right now. The low end on smartphones works because people need a phone. People don't need a watch, so anyone buying a 99 cent phone could care less about the wearable market. As it matures, there may be space for a low end wearable market, but it won't be anytime soon.
  • Reply 42 of 78
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    melgross wrote: »
    I'm not sure exactly what kind of ecosystem can built up around a smartwatch, other than for apps.

apps do not an ecosystem make. look at iphone -- the ecosystem is comprised of apps, accessories, aux equipment, etc.
  • Reply 43 of 78

You're saying 'most' people then quoting reviewers.

Every notification on Pebble is identified, every notification can be dismissed from the iPhone as well as the watch in an instant, and any notifications you wouldn't want on your watch you wouldn't want on your phone most-likely. All of those notifications are controllable via the Notifications settings in iOS. 

• Reply 44 of 78
    theothergeofftheothergeoff Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Which is precisely what they have done in the smartphone business. 

and the tablet business

and the laptop business

and the personal music player business

• Reply 45 of 78
    theothergeofftheothergeoff Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by williamh View Post

I find it odd that selling 700,000 smart watches "pales in comparison to larger more established firms." 700k is a pretty good chunk of the market. Pebble's failure in my view is having quite excellent sales and still depending on the kindness of strangers to stay afloat.

As I think @asymco wrote:  "The market for wrist wearables is potentially 2X the number of people in the world" (people (most of them) have 2 wrists).  So the market is 15B.

The problem is the profitable price points, and finding a job to be solved at those price points.   Nike Fuels, and FitBits and Pebbles will niche it out, and people may in fact wear an Apple watch on one arm, and an alternative on the other (how many of us have tossed our laptop out for our iPhone/iPad?... each has a job to be done).   

The problem with Pebble is finding a compelling message that investors (those that invest in the company) can gut feel as being complimentary to the iDevice ecosystem, and then find the compelling niche to fill on some 10 million odd wrists at a price point where there is ROI.

I

• Reply 46 of 78
    geekygeeky Posts: 10member
    for the moment i see pebble probably staying around for a few years, but their situation is similar to that of blackberry's when the iPhone first came out it took years for blackberry to truly not be a contender in the phone market

i see pebble catering to a small audience for a while. some people want a smart watch with better battery life and to be used as just a notification portal for a cheap price but the true failure pebble will run into will be similar to the problem blackberry ran into. If you buy a pebble you get a smart watch with limited integration with the software no touch screen and limited capabilities whereas the apple watch brings a promise of so much more and just like the original iPhone it's flawed at first try but again brings the promise of so much more.
  • Reply 47 of 78
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    apps do not an ecosystem make. look at iphone -- the ecosystem is comprised of apps, accessories, aux equipment, etc.

That's what I meant.
  • Reply 48 of 78

You're saying 'most' people then quoting reviewers.

Every notification on Pebble is identified, every notification can be dismissed from the iPhone as well as the watch in an instant, and any notifications you wouldn't want on your watch you wouldn't want on your phone most-likely. All of those notifications are controllable via the Notifications settings in iOS. 

It isn't identified until you lift your wrist, and look at it. By identification, I mean by sound, so you don't have to read it. That's a big difference. Since you can't do that, limiting what appears on the watch is necessary. Perhaps you don't get more than a few notifications a day, and perhaps you have few apps that use notifications. For for many of us, that's simply not true. We need to limit what appears on the phone, and more so, on a watch.

I get notifications from Mail, iMessage, and many apps. If i don't limit them, individually, I'd be getting a couple hundred a day. I'm not that untypical. Do you really want to have to look through a couple hundred every day? I don't. So the Pebble is out of the question for many people.

Yes, I say most people, and then mention reviewers. We need reviewers to tell us how the thing works, and how well it works. From that information, I can get an idea of how people will use it, or not. There are hundreds of articles over the years that quantify how people are using their devices, what they like, and what they don't like. It's easy to quantify it. If you don't read the tech sites, then you won't know any of this.
  • Reply 49 of 78
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    jsmythe00 wrote: »
    melgross wrote: »
    They also need to make a profit. I don't understand why people seem to think that pricing is arbitrary. This isn't jewelry, a high priced mechanical watch, or high end audio equipment.

Yeah they do but you also need to make sales. Either you're going to go head to head with Apple or you're going to stay clear. At their price points they're attending the same party

Sales won't matter if they're not making money.
  • Reply 50 of 78
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I'd agree totally except people still buy Windows PCs, so there are exceptions.

er wrong, people don't buy PC's anymore only corporations do for the most part. This is the reason why MS is going for the cloud cuz they know they lost the consumer market to apple and the rout is accelerating

• Reply 51 of 78
    Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

It isn't identified until you lift your wrist, and look at it. By identification, I mean by sound, so you don't have to read it. That's a big difference. Since you can't do that, limiting what appears on the watch is necessary. Perhaps you don't get more than a few notifications a day, and perhaps you have few apps that use notifications. For for many of us, that's simply not true. We need to limit what appears on the phone, and more so, on a watch.

I get notifications from Mail, iMessage, and many apps. If i don't limit them, individually, I'd be getting a couple hundred a day. I'm not that untypical. Do you really want to have to look through a couple hundred every day? I don't. So the Pebble is out of the question for many people.

Yes, I say most people, and then mention reviewers. We need reviewers to tell us how the thing works, and how well it works. From that information, I can get an idea of how people will use it, or not. There are hundreds of articles over the years that quantify how people are using their devices, what they like, and what they don't like. It's easy to quantify it. If you don't read the tech sites, then you won't know any of this.

Reviewers by nature cannot be trusted, most are paid for by the corporations that are flogging the crap in the first place. Most things are sold that way. Ist very hard to get unbiased reviews - most people are aware of that

• Reply 52 of 78
    Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

As I said, most reviewers. You can look up reviews if you are really interested. Just type Pebble watch review into Google, Yahoo or Bing, whichever you use.

Id rather not read a bunch of shills

• Reply 53 of 78
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Sales won't matter if they're not making money.

They'll make something. Thin margins perhaps but something. Their price point I think is unsustainable with competition like Apple.

And what happens next year with Pebble when gen 1 apple watch is reduced to 329 or 299?

Thin margins or shuttered doors

Do you have intimate knowledge of Pebble's finances? How do you know they'll make something at those price points?
  • Reply 54 of 78
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member
    sflocal wrote: »
    No surprise whatsoever.  Thankfully though, Fandroids say the AppleWatch is gonna be a huge failure once the initial hype wears off.  So don't worry 3rd-rate competitors.  After all the fitness, medical, and media ecosystems that are building-up around the AppleWatch take a dump in another 10 years, you'll get your shot. /s
    There is nothing "third rate" about Pebble. I've worn a steel since it was released, and I continue to get compliments on it. It is solid, well designed, and I have never had a problem with it. That's fine if it isn't your cup of tea, but dismissing it as anything but a quality product is absurd, indicative of the worst sort of Apple Fanboy arrogance.
  • Reply 55 of 78
    Yeah they do but you also need to make sales. Either you're going to go head to head with Apple or you're going to stay clear. At their price points they're attending the same party

There aren't really. Apple's pricing is much greater that the Pebble. The new one, I think, will be just $200. Apple's is, at $349, for the small one, and $399, for the large one, much more.

But then, it also does much more, and is much nicer.

This is competing against low, and medium priced, Android Wear watches.
  • Reply 56 of 78
    paul94544 wrote: »
    Reviewers by nature cannot be trusted, most are paid for by the corporations that are flogging the crap in the first place. Most things are sold that way. Ist very hard to get unbiased reviews - most people are aware of that

paul94544 wrote: »
    Id rather not read a bunch of shills

You don't know what you're talking about.
  • Reply 57 of 78
    Quote:

Originally Posted by xStatiCa View Post

I recently made the decision to buy a smart watch and decided on the Pebble for price reasons. If the Apple watch were $150 to $200 I would have bought one but $350 for a base model is too much for a smart watch for me. I paid $80 for my pebble a few weeks ago and it's feature set is fine for me. The only thing I really want that pebble doesn't support is heart rate function. I get emails, SMS, music control, lost my phone, left phone behind, etc features and that is enough for me. For 1/3rd the cost the pebble seems to work fine for my needs and wants.

when you find those alerts and notifications stop working occasionally, and the need 'occasionally' to re-pair the watch - you'll end up putting it in a drawer. That dual bluetooth connection ( two types of bluetooth required for pebble) is a problem. It worked great for me, 98% up time. Its the 2% when I ended up missing calls, and could no longer rely on leaving my phone on the desk is when my pebble hit the drawer. There was much to like about the pebble - but connectivity must be 100% or its useless.

• Reply 58 of 78

if the pebble was 100% reliable in its connectivity (no dumb dual bluetooth) feature for feature its hard to differentiate pebble v apple watch.

the difference is pebble is in the seamless level of integration. the pebble is not a bad smart watch, the apple watch seems as though i have a useful chunk of my iPhone on my wrist, when you have tried both, they are like chalk and cheese.

• Reply 59 of 78
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

There is nothing "third rate" about Pebble. I've worn a steel since it was released, and I continue to get compliments on it. It is solid, well designed, and I have never had a problem with it. That's fine if it isn't your cup of tea, but dismissing it as anything but a quality product is absurd, indicative of the worst sort of Apple Fanboy arrogance.

honestly, you have never had to quit the app and reload, or reset the watch and re--pair the connections, forget the bluetooth etc.....?

your very lucky - it was a weekly occurrence for me to do one or more of those..... ( and i had two pebble steel - on is at the bottom of a lake)

• Reply 60 of 78
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Do you have intimate knowledge of Pebble's finances? How do you know they'll make something at those price points?

"...or shutter doors"

It'll be shutter doors either way.