New AT&T policy may restrict Apple Stores from selling iPhone with two-year contract, reports say

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 75
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 858member
    Does anyone really need AT%T ??? There's plenty of alternatives. If they eliminate 2 year contracts in Apple stores watch their marketshare drop.
  • Reply 62 of 75
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by razormaid View Post

The problem with this is AT&T never get enough models to sell. I tried buying through them on the first three iPhones. Waited in line for hours only to find out they only got two of the (first ever) 32GB or three of the (then) new white model, etc. it's only gotten worse over the years so I guess it's time to switch carriers. Hopefully the carriers will continue their "buy you out" of your contract offers after May 28th

Anyone have recommendations on which carriers to switch to? I'd like to hear from people who were with ATT for years then switched to...??

Although Verizon was my carrier and I was thoroughly satisfied with their service, I I switched to AT&T in 2007 because I coveted the new iPhone. The dropped calls happened far too often, so as soon as Verizon gained the rights to sell iPhones, I immediately switched back to them and haven't looked back. 

• Reply 63 of 75
    redgeminiparedgeminipa Posts: 555member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by freediverx View Post

I have a grandfathered unlimited data plan, which I'm not about to give up - especially since the FCC's net neutrality ruling now forbids AT&T from throttling my connection.

And for those urging me to "do the math," I already did that a couple of years ago when they first announced these crappy new plans.

Here you go:

That's an extra $25/month ($300/year) to downgrade from my unlimited plan to 5GB of data.

T-Mobile's tempting, but their network just isn't up to par with AT&T's when you stray from major metropolitan areas. Also, their 5GB plan is $70/month, and a $15/month savings is not enough for me to give up better coverage and unlimited data.

Having said that, I still HATE AT&T.

Mine: Sprint Framily Plan: unlimited talk, text and data w/ annual upgrades (on Sprint with NO throttling): $45 + $20.84 (DIP) = $65.84 + taxes = +/- $72 per month. I pay full retail price sales tax down, or any amount over that if I want to lower the monthly payment. That's roughly the same price on their iPhone for Life plan, which is $70. Oh, and you're stuck another 2 years every time you upgrade with a 2-year AT&T contract. Sprint offers no-contract, just pay off the phone. Sell it, and you're in the clear.

You're getting 450 minutes and 1500 texts with unlimited data for $85 per month, and you call that a deal? If you pay outright for your iPhone, is your bill cheaper? Nope. From the looks of it, you're not overly worried about data speeds. Sprint's aren't screaming fast, but they're completely decent for the price. 

Sprint falls more in line with T-Mobile's pricing, but with coverage when you leave big cities. I can't use T-Mobile, since I frequently travel in areas that T-Mobile doesn't even know exists for coverage... sadly, they're not exactly all small towns. T-Mobile is making strides, but it'll be a while before they're good enough for me to use them. 

• Reply 64 of 75
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member
    http://bit.ly/14QYW8vQuote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

For me, when it comes to service, good enough ain't good enough. T-Mobile has been around long enough, and for them to just now start beefing up their service is a joke.

T-Mobile has good service, but they're spotty outside of major metro areas. For some people this is fine, though for me it is not. As a lower tier participant in the wireless business, I think they've done pretty well, especially compared to others like Sprint.

Again, though, the topic was AT&T. I'm sticking with them for now because of 1) better coverage and 2) unlimited data plan. But if things change I will not hesitate to drop them. 

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RedGeminiPA View Post

Mine: Sprint Framily Plan: unlimited talk, text and data w/ annual upgrades (on Sprint with NO throttling): $45 + $20.84 (DIP) = $65.84 + taxes = +/- $72 per month. I pay full retail price sales tax down, or any amount over that if I want to lower the monthly payment. That's roughly the same price on their iPhone for Life plan, which is $70. Oh, and you're stuck another 2 years every time you upgrade with a 2-year AT&T contract. Sprint offers no-contract, just pay off the phone. Sell it, and you're in the clear.

You're getting 450 minutes and 1500 texts with unlimited data for $85 per month, and you call that a deal? If you pay outright for your iPhone, is your bill cheaper? Nope. From the looks of it, you're not overly worried about data speeds. Sprint's aren't screaming fast, but they're completely decent for the price. 

Sprint falls more in line with T-Mobile's pricing, but with coverage when you leave big cities. I can't use T-Mobile, since I frequently travel in areas that T-Mobile doesn't even know exists for coverage... sadly, they're not exactly all small towns. T-Mobile is making strides, but it'll be a while before they're good enough for me to use them. 

"The biggest black eye of our survey is reserved for Sprint, which ranks dead last with a very poor score for value, a poor score on data service, and middling results for voice and text."

- 2014 Consumer Reports Cell Phone Service Survey - http://bit.ly/14QYW8v

I had Sprint many years ago (pre-smartphone), and they are the only carrier whose network, billing, and customer service were so infuriatingly bad that I literally smashed my phone against a concrete wall. Sprint's wireless network and customer service are an abomination. I would not sign up with Sprint if they offered me service for free.

The only "unlimited" that matters is data. I don't care about family or sharing plans, or unlimited voice or text. I use few voice minutes and 90% of my text messaging is via iMessage or some other third party app. The only things that matter to me are real world network speed/reliability, ubiquitous coverage both in metro areas and in the boonies, GSM compatibility for international use when traveling, and data caps.

Throttling is no longer an issue, since it has been ruled illegal by the FCC.

I replace my phone every year, and have no interest in replacing it either more or less frequently than that. I have no interest in trade-ins or spreading out the cost of my phone over time. I don't care about the duration of my contract because I haven't felt the need to switch from AT&T for years, don't anticipate needing to do so in the future, and even if I did, T-Mobile would pick up the early termination costs.

• Reply 65 of 75
    gtbuzzgtbuzz Posts: 129member
    Neither of the major Service Providers to a good job or provide great coverage. They may sell 4G LTE, but is is not there in many areas where they sell it. 2 blocks away I have LTE 5 bars. At my house I have 2 bars and often not LTE. Voice over IP is not available, but is in the iPhone6.

I have bought my last phone from a major provider. If Apple were to sell minutes, I would buy directly from them - they could buy $B's of minutes and coverage from everyone.

I may be wishing for pie in the sky, but I am hopeful and waiting. No more contracts for me.
  • Reply 66 of 75
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GTBuzz View Post

Neither of the major Service Providers to a good job or provide great coverage. They may sell 4G LTE, but is is not there in many areas where they sell it. 2 blocks away I have LTE 5 bars. At my house I have 2 bars and often not LTE. Voice over IP is not available, but is in the iPhone6.

I have bought my last phone from a major provider. If Apple were to sell minutes, I would buy directly from them - they could buy $B's of minutes and coverage from everyone.

I may be wishing for pie in the sky, but I am hopeful and waiting. No more contracts for me.

Just because all wireless carriers suck doesn't mean that they suck equally. Depending on your geographical location and particular needs, your choice of carrier can make a big difference.

• Reply 67 of 75
    jbrickleyjbrickley Posts: 11member
    AT&T is pure evil. They sold ALL OF CONNECTICUT landline/DSL/Uverse service including business to Frontier who promptly messed up the transition. Many thousands lost phones and Internet and had to reboot their cable boxes endlessly for 2-3 months. The only business that AT&T runs in CT is now wireless. Multi-billion dollar deal to fund their wireless expansion plans.

Next (pun intended) they push these ridiculous family plans with shared data and the ability to upgrade to a new smartphone every year. Well run the numbers folks! You are getting seriously ripped off! You don't get to keep the old phone and hand it down either. The cost per month is way up and the subsidies are a complete scam. You are better off waiting to reset your 2 year contract with a $199 smartphone price.

To top it all off, I can no longer find my actual contract expiration date on their website! All links point to sign up for a Next plan which is a horrendous scam!

No wonder they want to make it harder to keep your grandfathered plan with unlimited data, know your actual contract end date and renew with a new subsidized device.

Oh buy your own smartphone at full price unlocked and start a contract? You pay the same price as if you subsidized it. Again, pure freaking greedy evil behavior!
  • Reply 68 of 75
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JBrickley View Post

All links point to sign up for a Next plan which is a horrendous scam!

The AT&T Next plan is not a horrendous scam.   In fact, for many people it saves you some significant money (is your data plan is big enough).

I know of what I speak.  I changed over from the traditional family plan with subsidized phones to the one that you team up either with your own phone or one purchased through Next.  And I save almost $200 per line over 24 months than if I were on the subsidized plan with a new device.   My monthly charge went down even with 2 iPhone 6 and an iPhone 6+ purchased through Next.

I also fail to see how AT&T is evil for selling off part of their business.  If the people they sold it to are incompetent how is that AT&T's fault?

• Reply 69 of 75
    Quote:

Oh buy your own smartphone at full price unlocked and start a contract? You pay the same price as if you subsidized it. Again, pure freaking greedy evil behavior!

You are not on a contract unless you are getting the subsidized phone.  I opted for Next purchased phones since over 24 months it saves me almost $200 per line IIRC (have not done the math since last Fall but it was a significant savings).  If I cancel service before the 24 months is up all I have to do is finish paying for the phones all at once, at that point, and I can walk.  No contract, and I keep the phone.

If you do an AT&T Next plan that has accelerated purchase of a new phone built into it, then you don't actually pay the full price for the phone you trade in and you are correct, you don't keep it.  I don't do that, I use the longer termed Next plan and keep the phone.

Next is basically an interest free financing of the phone that you purchase.

• Reply 70 of 75
    jbrickleyjbrickley Posts: 11member
    Quote:

I also fail to see how AT&T is evil for selling off part of their business.  If the people they sold it to are incompetent how is that AT&T's fault?

AT&T abandoned an entire state! One with a really large population!  Try running a business with the landlines failing. Sure it's not AT&T's problem but from a customer perspective it feels not so nice!   I ditched Frontier the week they switched over and am now a happy MagicJack customer.  Not only is it crazy cheap $35/yr but I get mobile apps on the same line and the audio quality is a huge improvement for international calling.  I also cut my cord and have nothing but Cox Cable Internet and I am saving a boatload!

Perhaps the Next plan numbers work for you but they certainly do not work for me.  I have a grandfathered plan and I will not be saving money switching to Next, it will cost me considerably more.  

I am seriously considering a move to Verizon...  My employer has installed a direct fiber connection to Verizon and we now have 4G LTE full speed everywhere in the building.  I get 3-4 bars of LTE at home and it's coverage in CT & NYC & Boston blows away AT&T.  

Just worried about jumping ship from the Titanic into the arms of a Nazi U-Boat...  Screwed either way.  T-Mobile is not an option and neither is Sprint or any other smaller provider.  It's either Verizon or AT&T.  

• Reply 71 of 75
    Quote:

AT&T abandoned an entire state! One with a really large population!  Try running a business with the landlines failing. Sure it's not AT&T's problem but from a customer perspective it feels not so nice!   I ditched Frontier the week they switched over and am now a happy MagicJack customer.  Not only is it crazy cheap $35/yr but I get mobile apps on the same line and the audio quality is a huge improvement for international calling.  I also cut my cord and have nothing but Cox Cable Internet and I am saving a boatload!

Perhaps the Next plan numbers work for you but they certainly do not work for me.  I have a grandfathered plan and I will not be saving money switching to Next, it will cost me considerably more.  

I am seriously considering a move to Verizon...  My employer has installed a direct fiber connection to Verizon and we now have 4G LTE full speed everywhere in the building.  I get 3-4 bars of LTE at home and it's coverage in CT & NYC & Boston blows away AT&T.  

Just worried about jumping ship from the Titanic into the arms of a Nazi U-Boat...  Screwed either way.  T-Mobile is not an option and neither is Sprint or any other smaller provider.  It's either Verizon or AT&T.  

AT&T has no moral responsibility to keep a business they no longer want to run.

If Verizon has better coverage then go for it, but you will lose your AT&T grandfathered plan.  Since you are willing to lose it for Verizon, you may want to also check out the actual numbers for the AT&T offering through next.

How much data do you actually use?  I'd like to run the numbers on AT&T for what you have now vs one based on a Next purchase.  Many people run the numbers wrong as they do not realize the lower cost per month that the plan charges when you own the phone (preowned or Next) .  It is $25 vs $40 for under 10gb plan and $15 vs $40 when 10GB or more IIRC.    That is per device.   That adds up to significant money.

I had a grandfathered plan but was not using 10s of GB of data (was using under 10GB a month) so I went to a  10GB plan.   I got tethering included (which I did not have with the grandfathered plan -- don't know how it is now) and save money to boot.

• Reply 72 of 75
    pfisherpfisher Posts: 758member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbag View Post

Quote:

AT&T has no moral responsibility to keep a business they no longer want to run.

If Verizon has better coverage then go for it, but you will lose your AT&T grandfathered plan.  Since you are willing to lose it for Verizon, you may want to also check out the actual numbers for the AT&T offering through next.

How much data do you actually use?  I'd like to run the numbers on AT&T for what you have now vs one based on a Next purchase.  Many people run the numbers wrong as they do not realize the lower cost per month that the plan charges when you own the phone (preowned or Next) .  It is $25 vs $40 for under 10gb plan and $15 vs $40 when 10GB or more IIRC.    That is per device.   That adds up to significant money.

I had a grandfathered plan but was not using 10s of GB of data (was using under 10GB a month) so I went to a  10GB plan.   I got tethering included (which I did not have with the grandfathered plan -- don't know how it is now) and save money to boot.

No problem. The problem with large corporations is that they become amoral. Start with banking, then move onto cell companies and cable providers. True, maybe no monopolies anymore, but oligopolies...they are evil, essentially, and hopefully government brings them down before they control government (too much).

• Reply 73 of 75
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbag View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

That's one way to reduce demand on their crappy network, drive new customers to the competition...

Whether their network is "crappy" or not probably depends on where you are.  Where I am at AT&T network is generally pretty good, with fast good coverage.   Our music teacher is on T-Mobile and is forever complaining about their "crappy" network.   I don't know how he defines it.  But the point is that this is probably subjective, "grass is greener" type of situation, and also location dependent.

Ralph de la Vega?  Is that you?

• Reply 74 of 75
    Quote:

Originally Posted by freediverx View Post

Throttling is no longer an issue, since it has been ruled illegal by the FCC.

No, it has not. The FCC has ruled that it was illegal to advertise unlimited data and then apply arbitrary limits after which throttling is applied. In other words, it's perfectly legal to throttle as long as you're upfront about it. For instance, T-Mobile's lower tier plans advertise unlimited data but always clearly stated how much full speed data they included and what happened after you hit the cap, and that's legal.

What really stinks in this story is that the FCC went after pre-paid MVNOs and left the biggest offender, AT&T, completely off the hook, when they should have been slapped with huge fines and forced to refund their customers. Being a former AT&T "grandfathered" customer I feel completely slighted and I should have been entitled to a partial refund, but I'm sure the FCC is in bed with AT&T and set up this sham in order to give them a soft landing. Disgraceful.

• Reply 75 of 75
    Quote:

Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Ralph de la Vega?  Is that you?

So, someone who provides counterpoint to your narrative means they are some AT&T shill?

AT&T where I am at is pretty good.  I've been satisfied.   Our music teacher is on T-Mobile, or at least was, and was always complaining.  In our area, that is how it is.   In your area, it may be different.    Folks typically think the grass is greener elsewhere and these sorts of things are subjective.