Emergency crews respond to 'large fire' at Apple complex in Mesa, Ariz. [u]

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    diplicationdiplication Posts: 609member
    So...I guess that Tim knows a guy that knows a guy...hey, it would be a shame if anything were to happen to a certain building.
  • Reply 22 of 31
    copelandcopeland Posts: 298member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The facility made news again last week when it was reported that Apple would hire an extra 300 to 500 workers for the datacenter beyond the number originally planned.

Fire fighters?

;)

• Reply 23 of 31
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    justmark wrote: »
    Apparently the issue of solar panel covered roof fires are a growing concern to fire personnel as they are hard to battle because the pent up energy makes it dangerous to be on the roof.

Seriously? You mean the 'pent up energy' leaps out during the fire and ... OK I kid! They are not batteries you know ;) That said, as I say in post below it all requires some new thinking.
  • Reply 24 of 31
    gatorguy wrote: »

http://wwlp.com/2014/02/20/hidden-dangers-of-solar-panels/
    Probably more a case of education rather than a true danger in most cases.

Amen to that. Education is the solution to most of the world's problems.
    On this topic, 'electricity 'continuing to be generated' is somewhat different from the conception of 'pent up'.

I can see venting being and issue on a roof for firemen for sure. Some clever designer needs to think of a solution to that as more and more homes get solar panels in the years to come.
  • Reply 25 of 31
    quinney wrote: »
    GTAT hired an arsonist, but he was many months behind schedule.

ROFL
  • Reply 26 of 31
    justmarkjustmark Posts: 41member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

http://wwlp.com/2014/02/20/hidden-dangers-of-solar-panels/

Probably more a case of education rather than a true danger in most cases.

This is the issue I was referring to:

http://www.mnn.com/your-home/at-home/blogs/the-roof-is-on-fire-do-solar-panels-hinder-firefighters

And you are correct it is more an issue of training and standards but a growing issue none the less.

• Reply 27 of 31
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

On this topic, 'electricity 'continuing to be generated' is somewhat different from the conception of 'pent up'.

I can see venting being and issue on a roof for firemen for sure. Some clever designer needs to think of a solution to that as more and more homes get solar panels in the years to come.

IIRC some codes mandate the support fittings be quick release so the panels can be swung aside.

• Reply 28 of 31
    stourquestourque Posts: 364member

Venting may or may not be a problem. On commercial/industrial properties like the one in the story they are required to have access paths in the array. On a residence where the whole roof is covered, the venting holes can be cut on the other side of the roof. If there is no other side, then you're screwed.

Industrial rooftop systems are of much more concern. An intense interior fire can soften the roof trusses to the point where the added weight of the panels causes a collapse. Also these systems require a shutoff at ground level, but there can still be power on the roof - a tremendous amount of power. The panels are connected in series and then in banks so firefighters need to be aware of any electrical connections.
  • Reply 29 of 31
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member
    elijahg wrote: »
    Wait what? Pent up energy? It's not stored in the panels, only generated. And even then, it's only around 70v, which isn't massively dangerous.

Voltage is not energy, that's what Joules are for, isn't it?
    If I remember it right, a sufficiently large coil with sufficient amperage can hold enough energy to fry you, even at 70V...
    Of course, I never was very good at electricity magic, but I don't think I'm too wrong here?
  • Reply 30 of 31
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member
    stourque wrote: »
    Industrial rooftop systems are of much more concern. An intense interior fire can soften the roof trusses to the point where the added weight of the panels causes a collapse.

I was wondering if the roof was not going down on the picture of the fire? To me it looks exactly like what you are explaining?
  • Reply 31 of 31
    stourquestourque Posts: 364member
    I was wondering if the roof was not going down on the picture of the fire? To me it looks exactly like what you are explaining?

I think the fire is on top of the roof. The solar panels appear to be melting in the fire. Usually roof trusses will soften from fire below. As they heat, they soften. The weight of the panels and racking would speed the point of failure. I don't think the fire in the picture is hot enough to cause that roof to fail. Not yet anyway.