Snapchat might abandon hold-to-view UI, takes wait and see approach to Apple Watch app

Posted:
in iPhone edited May 2015
Speaking at Re/code's Code Conference on Tuesday, Snapchat CEO Evan Spiegel said the ephemeral messaging firm is tossing around the idea of ditching its familiar hold-to-view user interface, a change that could help pave the way for an Apple Watch app version.

When asked about a Snapchat app for Watch, Spiegel said he considered developing a lightweight version for launch alongside the device, but ultimately held off on development, Re/code reports.

"It has to be a totally unique experience," Spiegel said.

For Snapchat, which has seen an explosion in video content consumption, creating a Watch-ready app is far from straightforward. Aside from Apple's video streaming restrictions, the user interface is not well suited for small-screened devices. With its iPhone app, for example, Snapchat photos and video are viewable only while a user is touching the screen, a method not likely to translate well to Watch.

Spiegel hinted Snapchat's tap-and-hold UI might soon be replaced or ditched altogether, saying, "I think, for us, it's holding us back from longer videos being watched on our service." With a shift toward video, Snapchat might not make it to Apple Watch anytime soon.

Snapchat isn't alone in holding off on Watch app development. Industry giant Facebook has yet to release a made-for-Watch app version, while other social networking services like Facebook-owned Instagram debuted apps bogged down by usability issues and weak feature sets.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    moreckmoreck Posts: 187member
    I'm definitely in favor of this change. I find the hold-to-view method annoying, particularly when I want to take a screenshot.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    This fad will be history in a couple of years.
  • Reply 3 of 7

Not every app translates to the Watch, the same way there wasn't a need to port all OS X programs to iOS. It's about building ideal experiences for each platform.

For example, Failbook's recent update killed the iPad-designed version of their app and just pushed out a blown up iPhone version for iPad users, which is horrendous (they're also still 32-bit only). The heck with that, I deleted it and gladly reclaimed the 250MB of space, and Failbook can deal with getting even less from me (I don't use it the same way most people do).

• Reply 4 of 7
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member
    Good! Hate the hold to view design.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Hold to view is a pain.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Not every app translates to the Watch, the same way there wasn't a need to port all OS X programs to iOS. It's about building ideal experiences for each platform.

For example, Failbook's recent update killed the iPad-designed version of their app and just pushed out a blown up iPhone version for iPad users, which is horrendous (they're also still 32-bit only). The heck with that, I deleted it and gladly reclaimed the 250MB of space, and Failbook can deal with getting even less from me (I don't use it the same way most people do).

Facebook rocks for private groups, with no advertisements injected amongst posts and nothing in the group being shared on your public timeline (what happens in the group, stays in the group) and you don't need to be FB friends with people to have them in a group.  And, last but not least, as a group admin, you have full control over who gets added to a group and can eject/block people from your group if they behave inappropriately.  I co-admin a group that brings together expats and wanna-be/soon-to-be expats and people in the Philippines who can provide insights into the culture and daily life there.  About 400 members.  And another group of people who come together to trade and invest (much smaller group).  I have no idea how FB directly monetizes these groups; I suspect they simply subsidize them in order to increase the overall value of FB to its users.

• Reply 7 of 7
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Facebook rocks for private groups, with no advertisements injected amongst posts and nothing in the group being shared on your public timeline (what happens in the group, stays in the group) and you don't need to be FB friends with people to have them in a group.  And, last but not least, as a group admin, you have full control over who gets added to a group and can eject/block people from your group if they behave inappropriately.  I co-admin a group that brings together expats and wanna-be/soon-to-be expats and people in the Philippines who can provide insights into the culture and daily life there.  About 400 members.  And another group of people who come together to trade and invest (much smaller group).  I have no idea how FB directly monetizes these groups; I suspect they simply subsidize them in order to increase the overall value of FB to its users.
    Look at the privacy policy/disclosures to see how Facebook might be monetizing your members. I doubt it's out of the goodness of their hearts. Even here at AI Facebook follows you, and even if you aren't a Facebook member, tho you probably don't realize it. HINT: Search up the term "Facebook shadow profiles"