Google's Nest team helps create Brillo & Weave, to simplify the connected Internet of Things

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    ecatsecats Posts: 272member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Like the Google Now competitor (code named 'Proactive') that Apple is allegedly announcing at WWDC? When it comes to software features all companies seem to be copying each other these days.

Except that Apple haven't announced such a thing. On the other hand Google Now is an emulation of Siri and iOS's data detectors. It's even activated the same way as Siri.

It's tenuous to suggest that further predictive improvements in iOS "Today" / data detectors / Siri as "copying" Google Now.

If they were going to truly copy the Google Now experience they would need to drop bunch of poorly timed "card" notifications in front of the user. Google Now false positive rate makes it more annoying than useful.

• Reply 22 of 26
    bestkeptsecretbestkeptsecret Posts: 4,265member

The Internet of Things. I find that phrase so damn irritating.

• Reply 23 of 26
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    The Internet of Things. I find that phrase so damn irritating.

Internet of Things = A World of Hacks

There will be no end to the spread of malicious programs once all of these "things" are connected. Time to go live in a log cabin in the woods with no electricity.
  • Reply 24 of 26
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    ecats wrote: »
    It's even activated the same way as Siri.

It's tenuous to suggest that further predictive improvements in iOS "Today" / data detectors / Siri as "copying" Google Now.

If they were going to truly copy the Google Now experience they would need to drop bunch of poorly timed "card" notifications in front of the user. Google Now false positive rate makes it more annoying than useful.
    Ummm... if I'm correct (and I am) initiating Google Now with "OK Google" came before Siri with "Hey Siri". Even Google Chrome had it before Apple included the similar functionality for iPhones. If that was supposed to be an example of copying (a bogus misuse of the word IMHO) it's the other way around.
  • Reply 25 of 26
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Internet of Things = A World of Hacks

There will be no end to the spread of malicious programs once all of these "things" are connected. Time to go live in a log cabin in the woods with no electricity.

We seem to be laying the infrastructure for the day when some fool actually creates Skynet.

• Reply 26 of 26
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,293member
    once again another half-baked google product...