IBM gives workers choice between Macs or PCs, plans to deploy 50,000 Apple MacBooks

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 67

So what you are saying is you spent a bunch of money on Apple so you could install windows? Maybe could have saved a few thousand dollars and just bought an HP with an SSD.

• Reply 62 of 67

Hell freezing over.  Again?

We'll be seeing Mac sales of 6 million per quarter soon?

Lemon Bon Bon.

• Reply 63 of 67
    ds92jzds92jz Posts: 90member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PScooter63 View Post

As an aside... my company (a Microsoft Certified Partner) just acquired another company that happens to be 100% Mac.  I spoke with our network guy in passing just today, and he remarked on how much a PITA it is to figure out how to accommodate Macs (running OSX) on a MS network.

(It can't be that hard, right?... I mean, I would LOVE a Mac at work, instead of the POS I've been using for years.)

It's not. He's just inept.

• Reply 64 of 67
    ds92jzds92jz Posts: 90member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by runbuh View Post

With what appears to be well over 400,000 employees, they only expect to deploy 50,000 Macs?

Not every employee in IBM needs to have a computer.

• Reply 65 of 67
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,903member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by D.J. Adequate View Post

Oh, yeah. I know it's possible -- that's what I do at home. IBM just won't let us, from what I've read of the new policy. They take a pretty paranoid view of security (with good reason.) Then again the do run VMs on Linux laptops, so maybe they'll loosen up once they've got things rolled out.

That said, I'm even happier they are taking OS X seriously. But there are just a lot of legacy tools left over out there. I've had clients still running OS2.

Got it, thanks for the additional info.  

Heh heh heh heh, he said OS2.

• Reply 66 of 67
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

I can't comment on using Parallels.  I use VMware Fusion since it's the gold standard for virtualization.  Been using it dependably for seven years.  As long as it is not used as a "gaming PC", I find the performance on-par with dedicated Wintel PC's.  I use it to run/test all platforms from Windows XP to Windows 10, and also Windows Server 2012, and all the enterprise software packages for those systems.  At times I run up to four VM's on my iMac when testing and configuring systems for clients.  VMware has been a solid vendor for VM hypervisor on OSX.  On my Macbook Pro, I currently run Windows 7 and Windows 8 when using my Windows-only software development tools for our IBM Midrange systems.  

I'm not certain I know what you mean by adding complexity to your OSX system with a VM setup.  It certainly doesn't do that with VMware.  It stays out of the way when not in use and I can (and do) configure my Windows VM's with the necessary system resources when running.  When my Windows environment takes a dump (as Windows usually does) I can click a button, and immediately restore my entire Windows system back to a prior state in seconds.

I use external handheld devices (via USB) to my Windows systems with zero issues.  Everything works.  Many years ago I had an issue with a specific handheld device, and VMware invited me to their engineering building in Silicon Valley to work with their engineers to make it work.  That is customer service!  Since then, have never had any problems with plugging devices, or getting any kind of Windows-only software to work.

If you're spending $500 for a separate machine to run your Windows-only stuff, that sounds more complicated than having it all on one machine.  I'd never go back to that kind of setup again.

Thanks for the informational reply.  I haven't been fond of Parallel's pushy upgrade path, and given the state of Putin's Russia, haven't been ecstatic about wanting to install a product from that unhappy country with such deep hooks into my machine anyway.   

But my MBA ('13, i7, 8GB/512GB) is pretty much my current workstation - plugged into multiple monitors, external drives, printer/scanner etc. and I don't generally want to unplug it from all of that to use it on the road - or even elsewhere in the house, so a relatively inexpensive machine I can surf on - on the road, in bed or in the kitchen - and not fret too much if something befalls it seems like a reasonable buy.

So simple enough to autosync what I need with with my existing DropBox, SugarSync, Evernote and Firefox sync (just can't warm up to Safari - keep trying and use it as second browswer but never have) - leaving me able to keep hacking away at converting my thousands of legacy WordPerfect files over time... ...while keeping up to date on what the MS ecosystem's up to.

I'm just that kind of company/OS agnostic geek - who started with a little data input into a PDP-8 "Mini-computer" (I had to learn hexadecimal numbers for that) - and whose first personal computers were a Commodore 64 and then DOS 3.1, so it's all of interest to me.  I have a Moto X too (don't shoot me, please!).

And the key in the above is that I need Windows mostly for my WPD docs.  Many are highly formatted (but unused so can go to PDF for archival purposes) and some - that I still depend on and spent many (many) hours creating - use dynamic table functions/formulas that don't convert well or generally at all. 

Meanwhile, nothing I've found on a Mac can open or convert these files in OS X, and - since WordPerfect converts files to the .docx format better than Word for Windows does, no script to automate the conversions. So for now, it's a manual one at a time process. Ooog.

If, as planned, I move to the 2016 equivalent of today's 5K iMac with 32GB (or more if available) RAM, then I'll strongly consider a VM Ware solution as my ultimate desktop integrator (unless I've finished my legacy conversions and the evolution of Win 10 doesn't prove all that interesting), and the MBA will become my road warrior machine for another year or three, with the Win machine as a toss around/backup.

• Reply 67 of 67
    I am an IBM contractor in Portugal and my workstation is a Lenovo laptop with Linux. I take my laptop everyday home because I'm regularly on-call 24/7 for a week at a time.
    Even when Im not on standby I usually work from home.