Metaio acquisition brings Apple's PrimeSense pickup into focus

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

When computers can perceive the world as a set of objects, as we do, instead of a grid of pixels, they will be able to help us with a lot more things. It feels like one of those fundamental technologies that leads to many applications.

• Reply 22 of 27
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    maxkraft wrote: »
    With apple vans, 3d sensors and Metaio maybe we will get a 3d version of street view.

The ground level images will be stitched together and integrated seamlessly into the FlyOver images.  (Presumably using enhanced versions of the SAAB C3 Technologies stuff where Fly is replaced by Drive or Walk as in "Drive-Generate-View" as shown below.)

You will eventually be able to virtually visit anywhere in the world by FlyingOver, Landing on the street level, Browsing around you on the street, going inside various POIs and browsing around.

Get ready for some amazing stuff...

The're even more possibiliies!

It appears that the SAAB C3 tech maps in layers, * e.g. something like:
    • river/ocean bottom
    • underwater terrain
    • underwater objects
    • flat ground/sea level
    • terrain -- hills, mountains, valleys
    • objects -- trees, buildings ...

Apple's WiFiSLAM tech does indoor mapping that can be combined with images.

* If you watch the creation of the 3D grids of Apple Maps running on a slow Mac -- you can see the layers being constructed:  bottom-to-top, back-to-front.

So, it should be possible to:
    • select a building, say, St; Patricks Cathedral in NYC, and remove all surrounding buildings/objects so you have an unobstructed 3D Flyover and 3D Street View.
    • Then, do a 3D Walkthrough of the building.
    • With access to architectural data/drawings, you could peel the skin off the building and view the underlying structure, plumbing, etc.
    • Simulate the view of the Black Canyon of the Colorado River before/during the building of Hoover Dam, creating lake Mead.
    • Recreate the battles of The Peloponnesian War on their original terrain.
    • From the comfort of your living room (or the travel agent's office) tour the Louvre, Prado, the Hermitage ...
  • Reply 23 of 27
    ascii wrote: »
    When computers can perceive the world as a set of objects, as we do, instead of a grid of pixels, they will be able to help us with a lot more things. It feels like one of those fundamental technologies that leads to many applications.

I posted my latest before I read yours ...

You said it much more concisely and more elegantly ... wish I'd said that!
  • Reply 24 of 27
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    peteralt wrote: »
    Hmm, very interesting. I still hope to see PrimeSense sensors in future iPhones, iPads, Apple TV's, Apple Watches, and Macs. The potential is painfully obvious for programmers like myself. 3D mapping for images, 3D gestures, games, 3D face tracking, touchless "mouse" pointing, realtime 3D navigation of the immediate vicinity, collision detection, etc.

Apple could create a Primesense case for iPad, or perhaps even for iPhone. So existing iPads and iPhones could gain the tech. Pretty cool.
  • Reply 25 of 27
    peteralt wrote: »
    Hmm, very interesting. I still hope to see PrimeSense sensors in future iPhones, iPads, Apple TV's, Apple Watches, and Macs. The potential is painfully obvious for programmers like myself. 3D mapping for images, 3D gestures, games, 3D face tracking, touchless "mouse" pointing, realtime 3D navigation of the immediate vicinity, collision detection, etc.

Apple could create a Primesense case for iPad, or perhaps even for iPhone. So existing iPads and iPhones could gain the tech. Pretty cool.

Yeah, crowd-sourced 3D Street View and Indoor Maps!

AIR, they did build an attachment for the iPad -- then, later a silicon chip (about the time Apple bought them).

All new iDevices would need is the silicon and apertures to connect the sensers to the outside world.
  • Reply 26 of 27
    maxkraft wrote: »
    With apple vans, 3d sensors and Metaio maybe we will get a 3d version of street view.

The ground level images will be stitched together and integrated seamlessly into the FlyOver images.  (Presumably using enhanced versions of the SAAB C3 Technologies stuff where Fly is replaced by Drive or Walk as in "Drive-Generate-View" as shown below.)

You will eventually be able to virtually visit anywhere in the world by FlyingOver, Landing on the street level, Browsing around you on the street, going inside various POIs and browsing around.
    Get ready for some amazing stuff...

The're even more possibiliies!

It appears that the SAAB C3 tech maps in layers, * e.g. something like:
    • river/ocean bottom
    • underwater terrain
    • underwater objects
    • flat ground/sea level
    • terrain -- hills, mountains, valleys
    • objects -- trees, buildings ...

Apple's WiFiSLAM tech does indoor mapping that can be combined with images.

So, it should be possible to:
    • select a building, say, St; Patricks Cathedral in NYC, and remove all surrounding buildings/objects so you have an unobstructed 3D Flyover and 3D Street View.
    • Then, do a 3D Walkthrough of the building.
    • ... you could peel the skin off the building and view the underlying structure, plumbing, etc.

Will you be able to watch the miniature people scatter ahead of your relentless invasion??
  • Reply 27 of 27
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dorkus maximus View Post

I watched "Man of Steel" on TV last night. Let's hope whatever Apple is doing has nothing at all in common with how Russell Crowe's character Jor-El (Superman's dad) helped Lois Lane escape the bad guys. I mean, being able to create super-realistic interactive 3-D virtual people would be great; but let's not require them to make virtual grabby hand motions to operate the same computer-based system with which they are existentially integrated.

That's one of the most original and creative complaints about Man Of Steel! I got tired of reading all the regular complains so it really is refreshing to read this one!