Microsoft sets July 29 launch for Windows 10, begins download reservations

Comments

• Reply 21 of 49
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    hydrogen wrote: »
    <p style="margin-bottom:0cm;">“"Microsoft has had two goals in the last 10 years. One was to copy the Mac, and the other was to copy Lotus' success in the spreadsheet - basically, the applications business. And over the course of the last 10 years, Microsoft accomplished both of those goals. And now they are completely lost. They were able to copy the Mac because the Mac was frozen in time. The Mac didn't change much for the last 10 years. It changed maybe 10 percent. It was a sitting duck. It's amazing that it took Microsoft 10 years to copy something that was a sitting duck."</p>

<p style="margin-bottom:0cm;"> </p>

<p style="margin-bottom:0cm;">Steve Jobs,  Rolling Stone, July 16, 1994.</p>

Not sure what your source of information is but ... Given Gates copied the Mac OS in the 1980's I think you are a wee bit off on your time scale. OS X, the later incarnation of Mac OS, has changed dramatically since it first came out. I have all of the versions running in one form or another (not to mention the Mac OS , i.e. pre OS X, too) and it is mind blowing how much they changes over the years. Windows not so much ... even with '10'. :D
  • Reply 22 of 49
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,368member
    Windows X is what Windows 8 should have been. It is quite pretty. I'm still not convinced that stuffing metro into the Start menu is the right thing to do. Seems like a compromise to keep the Windows 8 team from jumping off the roof after realizing their years of hard work is being dumped. But overall Windows X is going to be successful and will see widespread adoption in corporate settings who were reluctant to throw their help desks under the Windows 8 bus. One thing you can say about Windows X - It doesn't suck, which is a huge step up from Windows 8/8.1. Now we'll all be left wondering what Windows 9 could have been. ????

Going forward it looks like Microsoft is willing to concede the platform and focus on getting their big ticket application subscriptions on every conceivable platform and focus even more on cloud services. While Windows X borrows a lot of ideas and usability concepts from OS X I don't think they have any delusions of pulling current Apple customers away from OS X. I think they just want an OS that's "good enough" to sustain them while they figure out what to do about Google eating what's left of their lunch.

For those of us who are forced to deal with Windows by corporate edict the move to Windows X will soothe some of the pain. But it is still not solving the root cause of the problem since I assume all the little nasties that make Windows such a joy to use (cough cough) are still lurking behind the pretty new face.
  • Reply 23 of 49
    dachardachar Posts: 330member

As far back as I can remember with every new MS Windows release the hype claimed that the new version of Windows was a major  improvement. For years I  believe this hype.  In my view there were no real improvement and worst more issues such as hardware, printers, scanners not working properly and software needing to be replaced/upgraded. Win 8 was the final breaking point for me and I moved to Apple.  I wished I did this years ago. It will be interesting to hear the views of users about MS 10 in 6-9 months time. 

• Reply 24 of 49
    Why is it "nutty"?

I thought it made a lot of sense (indeed, I was admiring his forthrightness, and got a good chuckle out of it.)

Yeah, it seemed to make sense to me.
  • Reply 25 of 49
    hydrogenhydrogen Posts: 314member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Not sure what your source of information is but ... Given Gates copied the Mac OS in the 1980's I think you are a wee bit off on your time scale. OS X, the later incarnation of Mac OS, has changed dramatically since it first came out. I have all of the versions running in one form or another (not to mention the Mac OS , i.e. pre OS X, too) and it is mind blowing how much they changes over the years. Windows not so much ... even with '10'. image

http://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2012/10/steve-jobs-quotes/

The Macintosh was launched in 1984. It took several iterations for Microsoft to come up with something that could (in the distance ...) be compared to Apple's multi windows environment : Windows 95, indeed 10 years after.

This Steve Jobs statement has been issued in 1994, before he came back to Apple. That explains the "Mac did to change that much"....

It is funny for me to see people describing MS "Windows 10" as "Windows X"  ....

Unfortunateley Steve is no longer here to say what he thinks about Windows 10, but this is not so difficult to guess .....

• Reply 26 of 49
    "It doesn't suck!"... The goal MS strives for...
  • Reply 27 of 49
    http://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2012/10/steve-jobs-quotes/

The Macintosh was launched in 1984. It took several iterations for Microsoft to come up with something that could (in the distance ...) be compared to Apple's multi windows environment : Windows 95, indeed 10 years after.

This Steve Jobs statement has been issued in 1994, before he came back to Apple. That explains the "Mac did to change that much"....

It is funny for me to see people describing MS "Windows 10" as "Windows X"  ....

Unfortunateley Steve is no longer here to say what he thinks about Windows 10, but this is not so difficult to guess .....

Yes the '10' is so obviously intended to blur and confuse the uniformed.

I don't disagree with much you say but you mentioned the 'last 10 years' That would be from 2005. The history in terms of release dates according to Wikipedia below. Steve's influence started with Lisa (I owned two of those beauties).

"The history of Windows dates back to September 1981, when Chase Bishop, a computer scientist, designed the first model of an electronic device and project Interface Manager was started. It was announced in November 1983 (after the Apple Lisa, but before the Macintosh) under the name "Windows", but Windows 1.0 was not released until November 1985. Windows 1.0 was to compete with Apple's operating system, but achieved little popularity. Windows 1.0 is not a complete operating system; rather, it extends MS-DOS. "
  • Reply 28 of 49
    hydrogenhydrogen Posts: 314member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I don't disagree with much you say but you mentioned the 'last 10 years' That would be from 2005. The history in terms of release dates according to Wikipedia below. Steve's influence started with Lisa (I owned two of those beauties).

I am just quoting a 1994 Steve statement ....

I am old enough to remember this period, and my remembering is that in professional environments, PCs have been lagging behind Macs for a very, very long time  ..

Attempts like Windows 1.0 merely consisted in wrapping/disguising MS-DOS into a multi windows environment. Yes the MS copy machine was already active (probably based on the few prototype Macs Steve had to give to Bill, to perform the excel developments on Mac), but using the "windows" acronym is not enough ....

But no way to contradict Wikipedia, of course .....

The trouble is that people younger than us would have a false impression in reading this Wikipedia entry (I am no trying to convince you, you have been through to this exciting period, just as me).

(and by the way, OS X dates back to 2001, and Windows X (sorry, 10) 2015, so indeed , Steve is again right, and the Microsoft copy machine is slower when the target is moving ...)

• Reply 29 of 49
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by orangebird View Post

"It doesn't suck!"... The goal MS strives for...

Even Microsoft wouldn't copy someone's motto...

http://www.barebones.com/products/bbedit/

• Reply 30 of 49
    applegreenapplegreen Posts: 421member

Does anyone know if Bootcamp supports Windows 10? Should I let my Mac running Windows 7 upgrade to Windows 10 via Windows update?

• Reply 31 of 49
    zoolookzoolook Posts: 657member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JBDragon View Post

So I may Upgrade to Windows 10, but not right away. I haven't made a switch over to TiVo fully yet. I haven't seen it in action. It hasn't been fully finished, or even remotely and don't know if MS can pull it all together this quickly. Better to wait a few months after release and let others be beta testers.

I still use Windows for a number of reasons. I won't go MAC. My brother has tried for 20 years and I haven't done it. Windows 8 could have almost drove me to the MAC!!! I did Emulate a MAC on my Amiga computer back in the day so I could use Netscape! That was the #1 go to browser back then.

What's "MAC"? Is that an acronym for something? Macintosh Apple Computer, maybe? or Must Add Capitals?

• Reply 32 of 49
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    msantti wrote: »
    Continuum.

Sort of sounds familiar.

Hmm.........

Somebody in Redmond was paying attention during WWDC 2014.
  • Reply 33 of 49
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    vmarks wrote: »
    Making a "download reservation" within a "limited time" seems like false scarcity. Downloads are infinitely reproducible, not limited by manufacturing capability, only bandwidth costs. Oh, to recapture the days where people lined up to buy Windows install media at midnight...

Disney puts their false scarcity in "the Disney Vault". Hurry, by your digital copy of the classic Snow White before it goes back in the Vault!
  • Reply 34 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

MS already sealed the faith of this release with the last part after "Install."

WTF does "sealed the faith" mean?

I'm not even sure I understand what you mean when I substitute in the cliché you intended to use, as it's not particularly apropos in this circumstance.

• Reply 35 of 49

I am just quoting a 1994 Steve statement ....

I am old enough to remember this period, and my remembering is that in professional environments, PCs have been lagging behind Macs for a very, very long time  ..

Attempts like Windows 1.0 merely consisted in wrapping/disguising MS-DOS into a multi windows environment. Yes the MS copy machine was already active (probably based on the few prototype Macs Steve had to give to Bill, to perform the excel developments on Mac), but using the "windows" acronym is not enough ....

But no way to contradict Wikipedia, of course .....

The trouble is that people younger than us would have a false impression in reading this Wikipedia entry (I am no trying to convince you, you have been through to this exciting period, just as me).

(and by the way, OS X dates back to 2001, and Windows X (sorry, 10) 2015, so indeed , Steve is again right, and the Microsoft copy machine is slower when the target is moving ...)

Yes and I owe you an apology, I missed the point that Steve said that in 1994 so we are in agreement, I wrongly read it as you were saying that now.
  • Reply 36 of 49
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member
    slurpy wrote: »
    Yeah, dual booting into it on my new MacBook Pro and it's pretty slick. Massive improvement, and super fast. Love the new browser. Would I make it my main driver? Never. But still, credit where credit is due.

I am tempted... Are any important caveats to be known? I want it for playing games tbh, because only 37% of my library runs on Mac :/
  • Reply 37 of 49
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member
    WTF does "sealed the faith" mean?

I'm not even sure I understand what you mean when I substitute in the cliché you intended to use, as it's not particularly apropos in this circumstance.

Sealed the fate.

Had to read your comment to figure his out, thought he meant Microsoft were finally trustworthy... Since others like the OS :)
  • Reply 38 of 49
    jeremyrjeremyr Posts: 1member
    A Quick video tutorial I came out with. Showing how to force windows to allow you to register for Windows 10 (in case windows didn't roll that out to you).

No more paying for Windows. Thank God Microsoft decided to take a page from Apples book...

• Reply 39 of 49
    jcm722jcm722 Posts: 40member

My POS HP AIO died, so it was replaced with a Dell AIO with Windows 8.1. I loved Windows 7 on my HP and hate Windows 8.1 on the Dell. It is now more costly to own a Windows computer than a Mac. Virtually everything I've experienced in the Windows Store is ad based, sometimes 30 second commercials. Windows games, for example, are now like Office 365. Games like Microsoft Solitaire and Mahjong are now paid for by the month or year to disable ads. Weather apps include ads. So the Microsoft Store is just like the Google ads on the Web. All ads all the time.

Windows 10 does not work with my Dell AIO as there are conflicts with all my Qualcomm Atheros items. This means no Bluetooth or WiFi. The upgrade fails with no explanation. I could only install it in a separate partition.

I miss using my old iMac, but it is too long in the tooth. All the versions of OS X that work well with only 2 GB RAM are far outdated.

I still disagree with the Apple format on hardware. Getting a new mini is costly as all the upgrades must be done with Apple at time of purchase. That is why I have a Dell. It can be taken apart for RAM and HD upgrades.

I will come back to Apple when the mini can be taken apart, just for RAM and HD changes, similar to the Intel NUC. I am not asking for much.

I will not upgrade to Windows 10. I agree with the idea Windows 95 was incredible. Windows XP and Windows 7 are decent. All else is junk.

My eyesight is not good enough anymore for my 2007 iMac 20 inch, or I'd still be using it with Mountain Lion and taking my chances. My 23 inch Dell AIO isn't good enough either.

I don't know what is next, but it sure won't be Windows 10!

• Reply 40 of 49
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JCM722 View Post

I miss using my old iMac, but it is too long in the tooth. All the versions of OS X that work well with only 2 GB RAM are far outdated.

Wait, what happened to your Yosemite beta from last fall?  You said it was running flawlessly on 2GB...? 

(No snark, just looking for the rest of the story.)