How to create an unobtrusive, low-light 'movie theatre face' for the Apple Watch

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    sacto joesacto joe Posts: 895member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

You show us how not to be rude. Obviously a personal strongpoint.

An Apple Watch turns on with a wrist-raise, so it tends to light up when you are not actually checking anything. So this is actually a useful idea. BTW, red lighting is also used in airplane cockpits, for the same reason.

You can deactivate "Active on wrist Raise" under the "General" icon. When it's off, you can activate the display by tapping on it. A combination of this and the technique pointed out by the article would allow you to check things pretty surreptitiously.

• Reply 22 of 28
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Sacto Joe View Post

You can deactivate "Active on wrist Raise" under the "General" icon. When it's off, you can activate the display by tapping on it. A combination of this and the technique pointed out by the article would allow you to check things pretty surreptitiously.

As I know, and as the article mentions, disabling the wrist-raise is a five-step process (which would then need to be reversed). Switching to the custom face, once set up, is quicker. It is also better if you feel the need to check the time while the lights are down.

• Reply 23 of 28
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PDBreske View Post

Actually, military cockpits haven't used red lighting in decades. Night vision systems are extremely sensitive to red and infrared light, so all military night lighting switched to a specific blue-green wavelength that safely illuminates the cockpit and maps without shutting down night vision systems. NVGs are not sensitive to this wavelength and since human eyes are more sensitive to this end of the spectrum, the light wattage can be lower and still supply enough light to read by. In the field, ground personnel can use infrared lights to illuminate a landing zone that is invisible to enemy forces, but still usable by incoming aircrews with NVGs.

I don't know any GA pilots who use night vision goggles, but I haven't flown at night for years, so maybe I am behind that curve. In any event all of the GA cockpit lighting systems I've ever seen are red, for the scientific reasons already described. Even the paper charts are set up to be viewed under red light. All that being said, it probably doesn't make a dime's worth of difference what color you use on your watch face in a movie theater. The modular face with all the complications turned off will emit the least amount of light no matter what color you choose.

• Reply 24 of 28
    pdbreskepdbreske Posts: 45member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

I don't know any GA pilots who use night vision goggles, but I haven't flown at night for years, so maybe I am behind that curve. In any event all of the GA cockpit lighting systems I've ever seen are red, for the scientific reasons already described. Even the paper charts are set up to be viewed under red light. All that being said, it probably doesn't make a dime's worth of difference what color you use on your watch face in a movie theater. The modular face with all the complications turned off will emit the least amount of light no matter what color you choose.

I was only pointing out that no one I ever served with in the military has flown with red cockpit lighting in the past 30 or so years. And while they still hand out red flashlight filters, everyone is advised to never use them around an airfield for the reasons I pointed out in my post.

• Reply 25 of 28
    luinilluinil Posts: 59member

This face might also be used when doing astronomy outside, or just walking outside in the dark, where night vision might be more important than at the movies.

I'm not sure you'll be able to use night vision in a theater, the theater screen should be too bright for that.. But the red face will annoy the others less.

• Reply 26 of 28
    Certainly are a lot of uptight individuals here for what's merely an attempt at being helpful. Remind me to never open a door for some of you.
  • Reply 27 of 28
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member

Power Reserve mode is a much better solution. It is easy to turn on, and accomplishes far more. All functions are disabled except the basic time in a very dim green light, and the screen will not activate automatically at all.

• Reply 28 of 28
    I have just returned home from the cinema. I had to switch seats because of a selfish moron sat in front of me sending text messages throughout the film. I wish cinemas could block mobile phone signals.