Apple recalls Beats Pill XL speaker due to fire hazard, offers refunds

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    Any information regarding this matter would be appreciated thank you…
    Well, the procedural page still seems to be up, so it looks like the recall hasn’t expired yet. Just follow the instructions there.
  • Reply 22 of 28
    Refunds should come out of the Beats acquisition cost, starting with Dre and Iovine's compensation.
    tallest skil
  • Reply 23 of 28
    1st1st Posts: 443member
    with both sammy and apple both have recall due to major problems, may be it is time to re-think the design process:  always feel that design is too far away from the manufactoring (mfg)/final products.  the company should at least have prototype line that iron out all the design/mfg problem prior to production, should not relian on the 3rd party contract mfg to in charge of integration/quality.  old say 70% or more of quality and reliability are designed in with little or nothing you can do at mfg site... unless you can learn at prototype line for any new technology implementation, at 3rd party integration site it is way too late to discover any problems - possibly product already in market, like the note7 and beats.  Disigned in safety for the battery is a key, but have to be dealt with at system level (at product level) IMHO...
  • Reply 24 of 28
    1st said:
    with both sammy and apple both have recall due to major problems, may be it is time to re-think the design process:  always feel that design is too far away from the manufactoring (mfg)/final products.  the company should at least have prototype line that iron out all the design/mfg problem prior to production, should not relian on the 3rd party contract mfg to in charge of integration/quality.  old say 70% or more of quality and reliability are designed in with little or nothing you can do at mfg site... unless you can learn at prototype line for any new technology implementation, at 3rd party integration site it is way too late to discover any problems - possibly product already in market, like the note7 and beats.  Disigned in safety for the battery is a key, but have to be dealt with at system level (at product level) IMHO...
    Apple is tightly integrated and connected with their manufacturing partners. I'm guessing this issue is a legacy problem that Apple will squeeze out of the pipeline.
    kevin kee
  • Reply 25 of 28
    1st1st Posts: 443member
    "Apple is tightly integrated and connected with their manufacturing partners. I'm guessing this issue is a legacy problem that Apple will squeeze out of the pipeline. "

correct me if I wrong, apple or sammy both lack of standard setting. The current contract mfg standards, especially for electronic/telecom products are based on (1) IBM, (2) ATT - General requirement, (3) Motorola, (4) Jesso (Japan), (5) MIL-std, (6) few consortiums that collected stds.  those are translated to IPC std classes, 1, 2, 3, GR - IEC, std etc.  The std were used to be driven by large integrator, vendor must comply.  Currently, the std committee are voting system, based on vendor (you just got out voted by the many vendors to dilute the std to just above average, so everybody can comply).  contract mfg largely benefit from those existing stds to avoid r&d spending by using existing plat form (including std equipment, such as smt assembly line, test equipment).  The new stuff, such as battery, outside those existing stds, get into the trail and error at market place is a bit scary to say the least and very costly as proven at recall stage.  Not sure if apple has its own std.  if they do, and if it give away easily like the other big company, like ibm, att, etc. they will go down just like them, benefit the contractors on the side to produse other product using their own lable... or for "apple"s compatitor.  If they don't, more scary.... apple, and sammy are benefit from prior work std mfg by contract out using existing stds to save a lot of development cost, move forward, such a benefit will be deminished soon.... just look at the cheap handsets come out from china from the save city that produce iphone and samsung phone...copy cat - sure, the major take over was std...IMHO
  • Reply 26 of 28
    This is legacy problem, nothing to do with Apple. Apple does not manufacturer their own product. They have a triple A grade QA control for each of the product components produced by subcontractors. It is a nightmare to control millions of components for each of Apple devices from different companies, not to mention the integration process. I applaud Tim Cook, the master of supplier, to successfully oversee all of these.
  • Reply 27 of 28
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    kevin kee said:
    This is legacy problem, nothing to do with Apple.
    It's also a six month old thread, no need to be defensive any more.
    singularity
  • Reply 28 of 28
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    I expect an in depth article on this from DED with views akin to those concerning the Samsung Note 7.

Meanwhile, I wait in vain for Apple to issue a recall on their fire-hazard Macbook Pro Retina power cables.