Google announces Street View iOS app, plans to merge Views into Maps

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    redefilerredefiler Posts: 323member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by patpatpat View Post

Whatever works for you, personally I like and use regularly all the google apps I have installed..

gMail,

Drive,

Photos,

Maps,

Search

Chrome,

Play Music,

Hangouts,

YouTube

Wow, that's a lot of redundant functionality, if you need that kind of extensive probing, just replace all that with Grindr.  "I keeed, I keeed." :smokey:

On a more serious note, use of Google apps will continue to add lots of extra social baggage for their users.  They're fine for total isolationist loners, but anybody putting other people's data of any kind into their Google accounts are by default complete scumbags.  

• Reply 22 of 30
    davendaven Posts: 696member
    jkichline wrote: »
    I never liked street view aside from checking out the fun things the Google car caught.

Google caught me walking my dog on a day I took off of work! I shared the photo with the people at work.

• Reply 23 of 30
    applesauce007applesauce007 Posts: 1,698member
    patpatpat wrote: »
    Whatever works for you, personally I like and use regularly all the google apps I have installed..

gMail,
    Drive,
    Photos,
    Maps,
    Search
    Chrome,
    Play Music,
    Hangouts,
    YouTube

I actually use search and YouTube via the web
    patpatpat wrote: »
    Let's see, based on App store ratings..
    Photos 4.5 stars
    Maps 4.5 stars
    Gmail 4.5 stars
    Chrome 3 stars
    Docs/Drive 4.5 stars
    Hangouts 4.5 stars
    Inbox 4 stars
    Play Music 3.5 stars
    Search 3.5 stars
    YouTube 2.5 stars

Overall "crap" they are not.

Nope. Trust me, They are crap. Even Gmail on which I have an account.
    The people who give these ratings don't know that Google is selling them out.
  • Reply 24 of 30
    patpatpatpatpatpat Posts: 628member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

Sure, I'll take your word as a self confessed google app avoider versus my own experience and the hundreds of thousands of positive reviews on the app store. Must rush off and delete all those google apps, right away.

• Reply 25 of 30
    crossladcrosslad Posts: 527member
    Would prefer it if Google started improving the accuracy in its maps. Twice in the last week I have used it to locate properties in my area if the UK. The first time it identified a property on the other side of the main road, about 500m away from the property I was searching for. The second time it correctly found the property I was searching for, a wedding venue, but when I went to street view brought up a pub with the same name as the wedding venue, which was about 5 miles away. Luckily I was familiar with the pubs location and knew it was incorrect. Someone not knowing this could have looked at the street view image and dismissed the wedding venue as being not suitable.
  • Reply 26 of 30
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    pfisher wrote: »
    And all those people out in public taking pictures with their phones and things? 

That is creepy. And disgusting. Cameras should have auto-blur and auto-pixelation built in.

Should have expected your troll. If you think there's no fucking difference between individuals taking photos, and ONE advertising based company taking photos of EVERYTHING, stitching all those photos together, and throwing them on to a hugely popular service accessible to everyone on the planet, then I don't know what the hell to tell you. Same argument as all those Google sycophants who staunchly defended Google Glass by insisting that camera enables smartphones are there "same thing". Pathetic.
  • Reply 27 of 30
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Should have expected your troll. If you think there's no fucking difference between individuals taking photos, and ONE advertising based company taking photos of EVERYTHING, stitching all those photos together, and throwing them on to a hugely popular service accessible to everyone on the planet, then I don't know what the hell to tell you. Same argument as all those Google sycophants who staunchly defended Google Glass by insisting that camera enables smartphones are there "same thing". Pathetic.

There is no difference!  What ANYONE can see and/or take a picture of on the sidewalk or public road is 100% fine for a individual or a huge company.  There is zero distinction.   You can not expect privacy.  In fact you are on Camera many times a day unless you stay locked up inside your house.    What Google has been doing is not even something new.   This is been done YEARS ago.  Not in a scale Google has done it, but it's been done.   As far as I'm concerned, Apple can do the same along with anyone else.    On no, they took a picture of my house.  That's just so invasive,.........NOT!!!!

As for Google Glass.  It's not quite the same thing.  Outside on a public sidewalk walking around with the thing, great, have at it.  Again, Zero expectation for privacy.  it's a camera like any others all around you taking pictures and video.  Walking into a Private Business is something else.  Outside, great, have at it, it's public, Inside a business it's private and a business can allow it or say NO, we don't want it in here.  One of the problems is people you're looking at wearing that thing don't know if you're currently recording them or not?!?!?   There's no people going around the inside of the place taking pictures of everyone when they expect privacy.  No one with half a brain expects the same outside.

You don't want Google or anyone else taking pictures of where you live from a Public road, build a nice high fence out front at your property line and then all anyone would get is your fence.   You sound like you would still have a problem of anyone taking a picture of your fence.

You're not one of them with a bunch of junked cars up on blocks in front of your yard  with weeds 6 feet tall are you?  I can see why you wouldn't want Google to be taking pictures of your house then for anyone to see.  Still doesn't change anything.

• Reply 28 of 30
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

Or the people fully realize what Google is doing and they do not care because they aren't avid conspiracy theorists.

• Reply 29 of 30
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

I rarely need to use street view but I've been told that it is extremely useful for realtors and home buyers.

• Reply 30 of 30
    drewys808drewys808 Posts: 549member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I rarely need to use street view but I've been told that it is extremely useful for realtors and home buyers.

While there are some here who have zero need for street view, I think we can all agree that there are large numbers of people who do enjoy street view. A view from the street is the best perspective for us humans. Flyover meets only some of our desires.

But as I mentioned before, we need to stop thinking that the street view future is but just more digital camera shots.

I'm telling you, with LIDAR/orthophoto/GPS/Aerial technology we're less than 2 years from every road having GPS street view (sans people/cars obstructing the view). And it'll seem a little less invasive.

Street view will be a commodity, not some addictive feature for Google.