Tidal gets Mac beta software, Google Drive for iOS switches to Material Design

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2015
Music service Tidal on Wednesday announced beta Mac and Windows clients, as well as discounted student tiers, while Google updated the iOS version of Drive with Material Design and other improvements.

Tidal for Mac

The Tidal desktop client is similar to the Web and mobile apps, but adds some extra features. These include gapless playback, support for media keys, and output selection -- listeners can for example choose to push music to a digital audio converter, or AirPlay-compatible speakers.

Both the desktop and mobile apps have been given a new interface design. On mobile this means better search, more personalization options, and an easier to find Offline Mode button. Significantly, offline listening is not yet possible on the desktop, but Tidal is promising support "in the near future."

Tidal has meanwhile announced Ticketmaster integration for buying concert tickets, and new student tiers which cut prices in half. That makes a lower-quality subscription just $5 a month, and the full-fidelity tier $10, on par with Spotify or Beats Music. Students must however subscribe using a .edu email address.

While the desktop betas are available immediately, some changes will only roll out over coming weeks.

Google Drive for iOS

The iOS app for Google's cloud file service now employs Material Design, an aesthetic that first debuted with last year's Android Lollipop. That includes not just high-contrast color schemes but animated, tangible-feeling interface elements.

Below the surface Google has improved sync and image-browsing speeds, along with scrolling performance. To make navigation simpler, the company has added a swipe gesture for going back.

Google Drive runs on any device with iOS 7 or later. A default 15 gigabytes of storage is free, but other plans ranging from 100 gigabytes to 30 terabytes cost between $2 and $300 a month.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    They should leave their so-called Material Design for their Android apps and use a more consistent iOS interface for Apple devices.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,422member
    I love the Material Design. It's much consistent, more intuitive, and more obvious than the awkward iOS 7 UX where buttons are replaced with links and you cannot even "see" actions. The iOS colors are so pale, it's hard to read. I had to turn several Accessibility features on to make them usable.

That's the worst UX ever created by Apple. I wish Tim Cook never allowed Jon Ivy to do the software UX - he should have just stuck with hardware UX.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    bighypebighype Posts: 148member
    I refuse to use anything with MaterialDesign. It's total crap. And if I wanted Android, I'd use Android device. Screw Google!
  • Reply 4 of 9
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by netrox View Post

I love the Material Design. It's much consistent, more intuitive, and more obvious than the awkward iOS 7 UX where buttons are replaced with links and you cannot even "see" actions. The iOS colors are so pale, it's hard to read. I had to turn several Accessibility features on to make them usable.

That's the worst UX ever created by Apple. I wish Tim Cook never allowed Jon Ivy to do the software UX - he should have just stuck with hardware UX.

And yes, this "worst UX ever" is being used and loved by a massive number of people, and a record # of devices have been sold with iOS7/8. If it was THAT horrible, that would not happen.  Maybe you should label your opinion and such without the narcissism to state what Jony shouldn't have been allowed to do. 

• Reply 5 of 9
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bighype View Post

I refuse to use anything with MaterialDesign. It's total crap. And if I wanted Android, I'd use Android device. Screw Google!

Exactly, If i had actually loved any part of the Material Design, I would have switched to Android. This is looking like my good old Java Apps on Windows where it look like Alien on the platform.

So I gave it a one star review.

• Reply 6 of 9
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,293member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by netrox View Post

Another troll to block list...

• Reply 7 of 9
    Having used both design schemes extensively in the last week I have to say I overall prefer material design, however I find it does at times over use pastel colors a lot and many times it has confusing menue selections(you don't know if something is an option or just information. Ios I find to be somewhat dead and lacks a personality its pretty but lacks heart.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

And yes, this "worst UX ever" is being used and loved by a massive number of people, and a record # of devices have been sold with iOS7/8. If it was THAT horrible, that would not happen.  Maybe you should label your opinion and such without the narcissism to state what Jony shouldn't have been allowed to do. 

And Windows is the most popular operating system so obviously it has to be better designed. Not! 

• Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post

Having used both design schemes extensively in the last week I have to say I overall prefer material design, however I find it does at times over use pastel colors a lot and many times it has confusing menue selections(you don't know if something is an option or just information. Ios I find to be somewhat dead and lacks a personality its pretty but lacks heart.

That's why there is "button shapes" in Accessbility. Turn it on and you'll see that it helps you know if it's a menu option or just static text. It also underlines links too so it becomes more obvious. And also darken colors a bit but sometimes they look bad in some apps.