New charity auction offers chance to tour Apple HQ with Education VP John Couch

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2015
Apple on Thursday launched another auction through Charitybuzz, offering the winner a chance to tour the company's Cupertino, Calif. headquarters with VP of Education John Couch.

The successful bidder will have to pay for their own accommodations and travel to Cupertino, but will be able to take along another adult and up to three children. The date of the tour is to be mutually agreed upon. Bidding is scheduled to end on June 18, at 3 p.m. Eastern time.

Proceeds from the auction will go to the Giant Steps Therapeutic Equestrian Center north of San Francisco, which offers horse riding to children and adults with disabilities.

So far the auction has secured just one bid for $5,000, well below an estimated value of $50,000.

While Apple's campus is not completely off-limits to the public, much of it is inaccessible, and there are no official site tours. The auction's listing doesn't specify how much of the campus will be explored.

Apple has used Charitybuzz several times in the past, most notably to offer lunches with CEO Tim Cook. Proceeds from those meals went to the Robert F. Kennedy Center for Justice & Human Rights.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member

Bah!

No deal. Give me a raincheck to tour the completed Cupertino Spacering Mothership (Yes, I've confirmed with Tim; that is what it will be called). Then we'll talk turkey.

• Reply 2 of 7
    pfisherpfisher Posts: 758member

How much for the nickel tour? Does it actually cost a nickel?

• Reply 3 of 7
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    It's only going cheap because there is a new model coming out ... it's always the same! ;)

Seriously though, I had the tour back in the early 90's. It's very nice, or was, no doubt it has changed a lot.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member

A charity raffle would be nice, so the few people who don't have millions of dollars might have a chance to win.

• Reply 5 of 7
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    C'mon guys ...

John is one of the really nice Apple execs from the old days (1970s - 1980s).

We'd love it when John would come into our Sunnyvale Computer Plus store ...

The conversation would go something like this:

John: "You probably already know all of this, but ..."

My partner and I: "Ummm ..."

Then John would spend the next 20 minutes, or so, doing a dump of all the software (and some hardware) Apple was planning for the then unannounced Mac ... CoBOL, ForTran, Pascal ... yadda, yadda, yadda ...

Ah, good times!
  • Reply 6 of 7
    5 bids now -- up to $8,000.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    cpsro wrote: »
    A charity raffle would be nice, so the few people who don't have millions of dollars might have a chance to win.

Now, that's a damn good idea ... you could even combine the auction and the raffle!