Apple TV leaps into first place as iOS dominates online video market, Adobe reports

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Hodar View Post

I was prepared to order two units on Monday.  Just as soon as the Apple store opened - 2 new Apple TV orders were going to be placed.  Pre-orders if need be - at any price they listed (within reason).  But, since they are postponing the Apple TV, I had no choice but to order 1 of the 3rd Gen for $69 on Amazon (actually $63).

I will wait to order the Apple TV 4th Gen.  Just time to refresh the equipment.

Tell me, How did Apple Postpone something they never announced in the first place?  So we have RUMORS announcing a product.  Then Rumors announced Apple was going to announce it at WWDC, and now RUMORS of Apple Postponing it.  I all of this, Apple has said ZERO, Nada, Zip.

I'm not sure, but do people think a Rumor is a fact?  I'm still waiting for the Apple HDTV that was suppose to be released 2 years ago.  I still don't see it.  It made zero sense then and still makes none now.  

• Reply 22 of 33
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

But but but stale...

But but but long overdue for refresh...

Yeah, Andy Ihnatko was trashing the Apple TV on this week’s MacBreak Weekly podcast. Everybody singing the praises of Roku, Chromecast, Amazon Fire stick, et al, over the ATV and this report comes out. Of course the backpedaling and explaining and revisionism has already started on c|net for example. How could this report be valid when everybody knows the ATV sucks and Roku rules.

• Reply 23 of 33
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member

Patience my friends. Apple-TV is evolving into future Home entertainment(streaming, game console with kinetic, internet browsing, cable-TV pass-through and Home control(Homekit enabled appliances, security, etc) HUB. These all written on wall. Look closely.

• Reply 24 of 33
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    So ... are you saying we are at last at the point where everything possible to do in Flash, however complex, can now be exported and works in HTML5? I was under the impression that was a bit of a compromise. For example, e-cards from Jacquie Lawson don't have the same features on an iPad as they do on a Mac with Flash, last time

Nope. Flash CC supports any HTML5 feature but at least 20% of Flash features are not supported in HTML5.
  • Reply 25 of 33
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Every year it dominates. Every year it doesn't get a refresh.
    (This article pops up every year)

This is equivalent to like a 5th gen iPod outselling droid phones.

Apple really needs to move in on this.
  • Reply 26 of 33
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    @JBDragon

Imagination my friend. There's TONS that an updated AppleTV could do.
  • Reply 27 of 33
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member

While Apple still has room to move, the key phrase here appears to be what Adobe defines as authenticated video. They never really state what they mean by it and what it includes or disqualifies.

I own a current gen Apple TV. I also own a Roku and two Amazon Fire Sticks.

To me the Adobe analysis feels like someone focusing on paid content in the age of streaming. I know it is an imperfect analogy but my kids watch YouTube PERIOD. That is the majority of their viewing. If they sit in a living room and watch movies or series, it is with us OLD FOLKS on something like Netflix or SlingTV (which will be cancelled soon.)

Then there are the large number of gray market boxes, increasingly Android based, that I hear about and read about that run Kodi or something similar.

I can tell you among the three types of streaming boxes we own, the Apple TV is the least used, has the worst interface and offers the fewest services.

We subscribe to Netflix and get Amazon Streaming via our Prime membership.

The Apple TV loses to the Fire Sticks because it has no SlingTV app, nor any sort of Amazon Prime app. It has channels added with every update that are a pain to manage and remove.

The Roku box has all the services we use. It is very nice for renting movies as well because it features a universal search among installed services. So I can look for a movie to rent and it will show which services have it and for how much. It saves us a few dollars each month

The Fire TV sticks have moved up to most used because they have all the services we use and also allow apps and games to be installed. I bought a $12 gamepad from Gamestop and we play around a bit with it. It is far from perfect but the YouTube app works well and we use it for a karaoke set up. (Roku recently added the app but it is still buggy and slow.) A friend of mine has a Fire TV (not the stick) and installed the Kodi app. It works well for him. For me I don't watch enough television to want to go through that nonsense but the point is that there are people are basing their purchase decisions on Kodi availability.

I'm not so sure things would look as good for Apple if we just included all video streaming versus what Adobe wants to limit it to via their definition.

• Reply 28 of 33
    patpatpatpatpatpat Posts: 628member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

While Apple still has room to move, the key phrase here appears to be what Adobe defines as authenticated video. They never really state what they mean by it and what it includes or disqualifies.

I own a current gen Apple TV. I also own a Roku and two Amazon Fire Sticks.

To me the Adobe analysis feels like someone focusing on paid content in the age of streaming. I know it is an imperfect analogy but my kids watch YouTube PERIOD. That is the majority of their viewing. If they sit in a living room and watch movies or series, it is with us OLD FOLKS on something like Netflix or SlingTV (which will be cancelled soon.)

Then there are the large number of gray market boxes, increasingly Android based, that I hear about and read about that run Kodi or something similar.

I can tell you among the three types of streaming boxes we own, the Apple TV is the least used, has the worst interface and offers the fewest services.

We subscribe to Netflix and get Amazon Streaming via our Prime membership.

The Apple TV loses to the Fire Sticks because it has no SlingTV app, nor any sort of Amazon Prime app. It has channels added with every update that are a pain to manage and remove.

The Roku box has all the services we use. It is very nice for renting movies as well because it features a universal search among installed services. So I can look for a movie to rent and it will show which services have it and for how much. It saves us a few dollars each month

The Fire TV sticks have moved up to most used because they have all the services we use and also allow apps and games to be installed. I bought a $12 gamepad from Gamestop and we play around a bit with it. It is far from perfect but the YouTube app works well and we use it for a karaoke set up. (Roku recently added the app but it is still buggy and slow.) A friend of mine has a Fire TV (not the stick) and installed the Kodi app. It works well for him. For me I don't watch enough television to want to go through that nonsense but the point is that there are people are basing their purchase decisions on Kodi availability.

I'm not so sure things would look as good for Apple if we just included all video streaming versus what Adobe wants to limit it to via their definition.

Agree, I have ATV, Roku, PS3, PS4 and the ATV is my least used of all these devices for streaming content. I find myself pulling the HDMI cord out of my ATV to connect my macbook to the TV more often that I actually use the ATV box.

Without access to Amazon TV, it's just not worth the bother to switch to a different input/UI/Remote. If the endgoal is Amazon/Netflix/hulu UI the the box doesn't really matter.

And don't talk to me about Airplay, I've had so many problems getting that to work on latest model macbook/airport extreme/atv. It is not a good experience at all (hence the plugging in of the macbook directly to the tv).

• Reply 29 of 33
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    patpatpat wrote: »
    Agree, I have ATV, Roku, PS3, PS4 and the ATV is my least used of all these devices for streaming content. I find myself pulling the HDMI cord out of my ATV to connect my macbook to the TV more often that I actually use the ATV box.
    Without access to Amazon TV, it's just not worth the bother to switch to a different input/UI/Remote. If the endgoal is Amazon/Netflix/hulu UI the the box doesn't really matter.
    And don't talk to me about Airplay, I've had so many problems getting that to work on latest model macbook/airport extreme/atv. It is not a good experience at all (hence the plugging in of the macbook directly to the tv).

AirPlay just works, every time for me.
    And my AppleTV is on Input 1.
    The PS4 is on Input 2
    AppleTV is what I use the most. I find the UI simple and unified in look and behavior across all "channels". It's conceptually cover flow minus the 3D animation. And the iTunes Store has my growing library of video content.
  • Reply 30 of 33
    patpatpatpatpatpat Posts: 628member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

AirPlay just works, every time for me.

Wish I could say the same.

Jerky stuttery video about 50% of time. Can't play some videos (slo-mo) from my iPhone 6 to ATV.

Maybe things have improved in recent software updates, I've just gotten out of the habit of using it because of unreliability.

• Reply 31 of 33
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    I just recently got my Nvidia Shield TV and I can't see needing anything else for a very long while. I installed my favorite web browser, something that is desperatly missing from the Apple TV, my favorite games, Doom 3, Portal, Modern Combat 3/4/5, Dead Space, Nova 3, GTA series, still waiting for Crysis 3 which should be this month, Kodi or XBMC, which is an absolute must have for any TV set-box that I buy, I mean I can watch TV from all over the world, including the US, finally. I have a Logitech web cam, 4TB HD, 2 Nvidia GamePads, remote, keyboard connected, Hangouts, Skype, Viber, an email app, OneDrive, Google Drive Google Photos as I store all of my ripped/encoded movies on them, over a 1,000 films, Netflix, YouTube, Vemo, Revision 3, etc. It's an awesome system, love the interface to.
  • Reply 32 of 33
    What if the big news about Apple TV is that it's to become the central hub of a complete media server? Now that would be excellent!