Apple expects half of top US merchants will accept Apple Pay by end of 2015

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 46
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    jim gramze wrote: »

RiteAid is one of the merchants that is intentionally blocking ?Pay. Walmart is another. They are part of MCX (Merchant Exchange) which is a competing payment method to ?Pay. As the big chain stores and many smaller shops upgrade to the new standard for plastic cards, ?Pay will become ubiquitous. That should be in late October 2015. After that point those blocking ?Pay might start to see the hurt in a major way because there will be plenty of options to shop elsewhere to pay as you like.

The weirdness is that Apple rolled out ?Pay way ahead of the government's requirement to upgrade POS (point of sales) terminals. Your bank has to sign on to ?Pay, the merchant is automatically opted in unless they intentionally go out of their way to block it — like RiteAid did.

Apple released Apple Pay when they did so that when everything switchwe over this year at the end of October, Apple would have a few weeks earlier released a second iPhone with it. As most people get new phones every other year, this would mean a very large and growing iPhone user base would now have Apple Pay. I think iPhone sales for the shopping season will be even larger then this last year.
  • Reply 42 of 46
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

It's a geek thing until you're one of the growing number of people who've received those cheerful notes from your card provider informing you you're getting a new card! ... which means systems like Apple Pay gain more and more traction as far as I can judge it. Once it happens to you it becomes a lot more tangible as well and some of those breaches involved millions of people.

I agree. And that seems to be Apple's plan. Let the early adopters put ?Pay through it's paces, help train the clerks at the local stores as ?Pay is slowly rolled out, though the fiasco that's going to be the switch to chip & pin, and then when Apple has a majority of merchants covered, and a majority of it's customers equipped to use it, run commercials stressing the simplicity, ease of use, and security ?Pay offers over even chip and pin (which will be chip & signature for years to come). One of two things will happen, ?Pay will achieve a critical mass of users who discover the ease and security of paying with it, or there will be another massive data breach involving chip and pin, and Apple will be there to pick up the pieces.

• Reply 43 of 46

Apple is trusted and i think it will succed in establishinn its new service quickly

• Reply 44 of 46
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PotatoLeekSoup View Post

I've used Apple Pay successfully at Sprouts, Whole Foods, Firehouse Subs, Trader Joe's. HEB grocery is rolling out NFC/Apple Pay at my local store this month.

As SunWuKong mentioned,  I think that HEB is using their own HEB Wallet app solution, which is a non-starter for me.  I'm not going to enter my CC info into app-per-store + give up security benefits of ApplePay.  If it is for you, give HEB feedback.  (I tweeted at them today.)

• Reply 45 of 46
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SunWuKong View Post

I thought HEB was still going to just allow NFC type payments with their own mobile app?  If they get Apple Pay that will help me out a lot.  I've been starting to look at alternatives to HEB that will support this payment method.  If they think they are going to get me to use a redundant, merchant-specific app so they can hit my bank account directly and avoid CC fees, they are very much mistaken.  We use CC so that everything is easily tracked and monitored and we basically only pay one bill a month for all that we use it for, not 1000 individual hits on checking account.  I get to better manage my monty and accounting and keep my money longer.  Sorry about their CC fees, but I'm not switching to debit just to use their app. Forget that.

SunWuKong:  be sure to let HEB know their HEB Wallet is a bad idea.  I'm hoping that with some feedback they might turn around and adopt ApplePay.  Like you: I'm not going to use their Wallet for CCs for multiple reasons.

• Reply 46 of 46
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rookwood View Post

As SunWuKong mentioned,  I think that HEB is using their own HEB Wallet app solution, which is a non-starter for me.  I'm not going to enter my CC info into app-per-store + give up security benefits of ApplePay.  If it is for you, give HEB feedback.  (I tweeted at them today.)

Yeah, I did after I saw their dumb solution, a few months after this article was written. Their recommended method is an amazingly bad idea. They us to download their app so we can pay in a CurrentC manner at their store, only?? Hilarious.