Apple Online Store stops offering iPhone with 2-year AT&T contract

Comments

• Reply 21 of 53
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbag View Post

What do you mean?  If you don't want to trade it in, you don't have to.  You keep the phone at the end of the installment term.

I just can't find that in writing anywhere on their site.

• Reply 22 of 53
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

They do once you choose which phone you want.  It all depends on which phone and term you choose.  The "from:..." just shows the minimum it would be and you have to choose your options before it can tell you the complete amount.

Yes but when I went to browse they not only had me walking through the entire thing but I hit a step where AT&T wanted me to set up an account with them and I still had no idea of what pricing I was headed for.

Ah well, an academic thing until I get closer to my turnover date anyway.

• Reply 23 of 53
    peteopeteo Posts: 402member
    the At&T next plans are crazy, $65 for only 3gb and that does not even include the device fee. $25 for 64gb iPhone. That comes to $90 I pay $7O now with a subsidized phone and unlimited data.

I guess with at&t they think less is more.. Going to switch to another provider next time around
  • Reply 24 of 53
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,023member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I just can't find that in writing anywhere on their site.

You are paying an installment loan over a term that is 6 months greater than when you become eligible to trade in.  An installment loan for the device.  It's in the fine print when you do a "Next" based purchase.

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/next.html

Nothing in there says you have to upgrade.  They call it the "upgrade option" and say you have the "flexibility" to upgrade.  It is a 0% APR installment contract loan.  At the end of it, it is your device.  It has an "early upgrade" option that allows you to upgrade if you want earlier than the full term of the loan.   You give up the device at that point if you choose this OPTION.   Like getting a car loan and trading in early before the term of the car loan.  No difference.

• Reply 25 of 53
    Quote:

Originally Posted by peteo View Post

the At&T next plans are crazy, $65 for only 3gb and that does not even include the device fee. $25 for 64gb iPhone. That comes to $90 I pay $7O now with a subsidized phone and unlimited data.

I guess with at&t they think less is more.. Going to switch to another provider next time around

You're $30 "unlimited" data is a grandfathered plan and if you switch, you won't get anything like it at any other carrier either.

• Reply 26 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by peteo View Post

Reportedly they still offer the 2 year contracts at their stores and at their online portal: they're just cutting off third party sellers to that option. For a heavy data consumer it might be worth the switch from the Apple Store.

• Reply 27 of 53
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

Yes but when I went to browse they not only had me walking through the entire thing but I hit a step where AT&T wanted me to set up an account with them and I still had no idea of what pricing I was headed for.

Ah well, an academic thing until I get closer to my turnover date anyway.

Really?  I've done several what ifs and have had exact pricing and everything and never had to create an account until I tried to checkout.  I was not logged in to my current account and was using a different browser that was specifically not logged in and is not the browser I use to log in to them.

But basically you can get the per device per month charge for any next plan by taking the full retail price (non contract buy it now price -- $649.99 for example for iPhone 6 16gb) and dividing it by the Next term.  Next12 is 18 months, Next18 is 24 months, Next24 is 30 months.  That gets you the per device cost within a penny or three, on a monthly basis.

• Reply 28 of 53
    Quote:

You are paying an installment loan over a term that is 6 months greater than when you become eligible to trade in.  An installment loan for the device.  It's in the fine print when you do a "Next" based purchase.

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/next.html

I read all that fine print before I even posted. Nowhere on that page does it say that I get to keep the phone when I upgrade at full contract term. It just keeps saying trade-in, trade-in. Sure, I could make a reasonable assumption but with them changing everything, I want that in writing before I sign up.

• Reply 29 of 53
    Quote:

I read all that fine print before I even posted. Nowhere on that page does it say that I get to keep the phone when I upgrade at full contract term. It just keeps saying trade-in, trade-in. Sure, I could make a reasonable assumption but with them changing everything, I want that in writing before I sign up.

What do you mean "upgrade" at full contract term?  If you "upgrade" then you lose the phone as you are "upgrading".  That is like trading in your car and keeping it.

• Reply 30 of 53
    Quote:

What do you mean "upgrade" at full contract term?  If you "upgrade" then you lose the phone as you are "upgrading".  That is like trading in your car and keeping it.

Sorry I meant re-signing a new contract at the end of the first contract. I see your post about dividing the $649.99 by 24 payments and that makes perfect sense, but that should be explained on the AT&T site because I didn't think to do the math to discover the obvious coincidence that the total of the payments equals the advertised full price. But even so I can't be 100% assured that I get to keep the phone because it does not say that anywhere. I suppose they think everyone will upgrade early and trade in their phone so it is not worth mentioning.

• Reply 31 of 53
    libertyforalllibertyforall Posts: 1,418member
    What a STUPID move AT&T -- either I switch carriers, OR I now have to buy direct from AT&T which means it will take me LONGER to get my phone. BAD CUSTOMER EXPERIENCE!
  • Reply 32 of 53
    libertyforalllibertyforall Posts: 1,418member

If you are grandfathered on Unlimited Data, do you also get a lower price for service when you are not on contract?  

Quote:

Yes.  Service prices are lower on non contract phones.  Whether you buy the phone through the Next service or own it already.

The basic monthly fee on contract is $40 per line plus your data.

On a non-contract phone it is $15-$25 per line plus your data.    $15 for 10GB or greater data plans, and $25 for less than 10GB data plans.

If you have a 10GB data plan, your overall cost (phone plus service fee/data) is about $190 less in 24 months than buying on contract.

• Reply 33 of 53
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member

Well... keeping the phone is a big deal. Having more choices is a big deal. I've been meaning to try Verizon anyway. If AT&T can make a change, so can I. Hello, Verizon I guess.

• Reply 34 of 53
    Quote:

Sorry I meant re-signing a new contract at the end of the first contract. I see your post about dividing the $649.99 by 24 payments and that makes perfect sense, but that should be explained on the AT&T site because I didn't think to do the math to discover the obvious coincidence that the total of the payments equals the advertised full price. But even so I can't be 100% assured that I get to keep the phone because it does not say that anywhere. I suppose they think everyone will upgrade early and trade in their phone so it is not worth mentioning.

Iam confused.  It is an installment loan contract.   You use an installment loan to buy something.  When you buy it, it is yours.  They don't specifically have to say "you get to keep it" because buying something under an installment contract assumes that.

• Reply 35 of 53
    Quote:

Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

If you are grandfathered on Unlimited Data, do you also get a lower price for service when you are not on contract?  

No, as that grandfathered unlimited data is a contract price if I understand correctly.   The price of the normal mobile share, which is the only sort of deal they do now, goes down if you bring your own phone (including buying one through NextXX)

• Reply 36 of 53
    Quote:

Iam confused.  It is an installment loan contract.   You use an installment loan to buy something.  When you buy it, it is yours.  They don't specifically have to say "you get to keep it" because buying something under an installment contract assumes that.

I did find the answer on their site:

Quote: Do I own the smartphone? Or is this a leasing offer?

The smartphone is yours, and you’re responsible for the monthly installment payments. You’re also responsible for any loss, theft, or damage to the smartphone—both during the installment agreement period and afterward. We recommend you purchase the optional Mobile Insurance to protect your investment.

• Reply 37 of 53
    Quote:

I did find the answer on their site:

Good sleuthing...

(Being a "Dick"!!!  As in Dick Tracy -- Dick slang for detective -- music teacher always says to be a "Dick" when looking for chord centers etc.)

• Reply 38 of 53
    Quote:

Good sleuthing...

This could actually be a better deal in that it might cost less, not that cost was really an issue for me. It was just the principle of the thing because with the previous plan you paid the same monthly fee whether or not you owned the device outright. I was always compelled to upgrade as soon as the contract was up because I hated giving them money they didn't deserve. So if they separate the device subsidy from the service then I can upgrade later without overpaying. Now with Touch ID, a bigger screen and a better camera, I don't see any reason why I need to upgrade for quite awhile. 

• Reply 39 of 53
    schlackschlack Posts: 724member
    With AT&T, my wife and I pay (for unlimited talk/text 15GB/month)...

without contract:

$130/month (actually $105 due to a corp discount)

if we had a 2 yr contract:

$180/month

COSTS $1,200 more over 2 yrs to go with the contract.
  • Reply 40 of 53
    Quote:

Really?  I've done several what ifs and have had exact pricing and everything and never had to create an account until I tried to checkout.  I was not logged in to my current account and was using a different browser that was specifically not logged in and is not the browser I use to log in to them.

But basically you can get the per device per month charge for any next plan by taking the full retail price (non contract buy it now price -- $649.99 for example for iPhone 6 16gb) and dividing it by the Next term.  Next12 is 18 months, Next18 is 24 months, Next24 is 30 months.  That gets you the per device cost within a penny or three, on a monthly basis.

Really. And I would have lied about that why?