WWDC 2015 guaranteed to highlight growing gap between Apple and Google

Comments

• Reply 41 of 84
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,924member
    Let me put this way. Any American who buys android device is UN-AMERICAN. Any Latino, European, African, Asian buys android are supporting companies who in a name of cheaper devices at first helping promote Google's lock and it's future expensive services.. I rather buy Windows phone or even blackberry than android.
  • Reply 42 of 84
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,327member
    Thanks DED! You are a true observer.

I especially liked the end:

"Please, dear journalists, stop lying. Stop telling people privacy doesn't matter, and that platform security is just a random result of unpredictable cosmic forces nobody can predict, and that technical competency is something to despise and ridicule, and that failure should be celebrated because it means Google was trying. We know better, and it just makes you look non-credible."

as typified by that inane CNN Money video featuring Eric Schmidt video embedded in the end of the article.....every-time he opens his mouth he is lying. And this is journalism in this day and age.
  • Reply 43 of 84
    Whilst I understand the drum roll for Apple/IOS, this article is completely US centric. It ignores the larger global picture which suggests that many more people are enjoying smartphone access/choices than would have otherwise been possible with the introduction of Android.

It is also hard to ignore some of the design changes that have been foisted upon the apple community/ecosystem eg. ipad mini, iphone 6./6 which by the words of the founder would either never happen, or would never be wanted. In terms of software, you only have to look towards the jailbreak community to understand the often myopic stance taken by apple.

Competition is healthy, no matter which camp you are in.
  • Reply 44 of 84
    pistispistis Posts: 247member
    Whilst I understand the drum roll for Apple/IOS, this article is completely US centric. It ignores the larger global picture which suggests that many more people are enjoying smartphone access/choices than would have otherwise been possible with the introduction of Android.

It is also hard to ignore some of the design changes that have been foisted upon the apple community/ecosystem eg. ipad mini, iphone 6./6 which by the words of the founder would either never happen, or would never be wanted. In terms of software, you only have to look towards the jailbreak community to understand the often myopic stance taken by apple.

Yes competition is healthy but not in this case because creating an OS , in this case android which is insecure, and full of bugs is ultimately very unhealthy if it causes the cellphone network and countless billions of end users hard earned money to be stolen and pilfered by hackers
  • Reply 45 of 84
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Great article.

Of course AAPL will plunge after WWDC as most folks have no clue what WWDC stands for and will be expecting new products, same as the last half dozen years. I wish I had the balls to sell all my AAPL now and buy just after WWDC. But I don't. :rolleyes:.

Wuss :lol:
  • Reply 46 of 84
    pistis wrote: »

Yes competition is healthy but not in this case because creating an OS , in this case android which is insecure, and full of bugs is ultimately very unhealthy if it causes the cellphone network and countless billions of end users hard earned money to be stolen and pilfered by hackers

You have any proof of anything being stolen by hackers? Using that logic the world economy should've collapsed when most of the world was on Windows XP because it was truly a malware magnet. Just because something can theoretically happen doesn’t mean it does.
  • Reply 47 of 84
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    According to Mark Gurman, this iOS update will permanently wall off the jailbreak community of hackers. Can't wait to see how they take that news.
  • Reply 48 of 84
    wood1208 wrote: »
    Let me put this way. Any American who buys android device is UN-AMERICAN. Any Latino, European, African, Asian buys android are supporting companies who in a name of cheaper devices at first helping promote Google's lock and it's future expensive services.. I rather buy Windows phone or even blackberry than android.

Seeing as how Google apps are tops on app store lists, many iOS users are helping Google. Actually even more than Android users if recent revenue reports are true.
  • Reply 49 of 84
    pistispistis Posts: 247member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    You have any proof of anything being stolen by hackers? Using that logic the world economy should've collapsed when most of the world was on Windows XP because it was truly a malware magnet. Just because something can theoretically happen doesn’t mean it does.

Very funny - a troll comes to his defense. if you really are THAT unaware of the sky rocketing increase in fraud because of hacking well enough said, but I know you are not THAT stupid so I can only assume now you are a TROLL too
  • Reply 50 of 84
    pistis wrote: »
    dasanman69 wrote: »

Very funny - a troll comes to his defense. if you really are THAT unaware of the sky rocketing increase in fraud because of hacking well enough said, but I know you are not THAT stupid so I can only assume now you are a TROLL too

I'm fully aware of what's currently happening. Big companies are getting breached for mass amounts of information. That's what hackers go after, not a few cell phones with the hopes of finding one person they can steal from.
  • Reply 51 of 84
    singularitysingularity Posts: 1,328member
    According to Mark Gurman, this iOS update will permanently wall off the jailbreak community of hackers. Can't wait to see how they take that news.
    I'd say they would take that as a challenge and have an untethered jb as soon as possible.
  • Reply 52 of 84
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member

What I always find fascinating is how tech bloggers that pay very close attention to Apple can recognize that the media will lie, cheat, and steal to push their own agenda forward. Yet, in other aspects of life, like anything related to politics or foreign affairs, people just assume its all true, and doesn't have that same layer of bullshit.

• Reply 53 of 84
    danielswdanielsw Posts: 906member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pauldfullerton View Post

The IT industry is a fascinating beast chock full of logical contradictions. Take these two points for example.

Point 1 : the vast majority of consumers and commentators in the IT industry seem to have the belief that "cheap is better, and free is best". But for a manufacturer to appeal to these people, they must reduce margins, cut product quality, reduce product support and cut R&D. Hence, Microsoft, Samsung, HP, Dell and Google are the goodies, and Apple is the baddie because it refuses to play this suicidal game.

Point 2 : these same consumers apparently believe in a capitalist free-market where a successful company is one that makes lots of profit so they can afford to pay healthy dividends on their shareholders. In this case, Microsoft, Samsung, HP, Dell and Google are the baddies, and Apple is the goodie. However, it is very bad form for an IT professional to say anything good about Apple, or anything bad about Microsoft, Samsung, HP, Dell or Google. And no IT professional must ever talk about the malware that thrives on Windows and Android systems!

My conclusion? The IT industry if chock full of wankers!

The IT industry is obviously a vested interest. "Job security" above all!!

I've bought many Macs over the years and have used them to make my living now for nearly 30 years. Never once have I felt the need for an IT professional.

• Reply 54 of 84
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,453member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Seeing as how Google apps are tops on app store lists, many iOS users are helping Google. Actually even more than Android users if recent revenue reports are true.

Might be true that Google makes more revenue from iOS than Android, but Android was always just a hedge against BB, MS, or Apple at some point in time. MS seems to have taken a shine to Android, but other than the music service, I don't see Apple offering anything other than open projects like Research Kit.

• Reply 55 of 84
    twiselltwisell Posts: 27member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by crunchingnumber View Post

Whilst I understand the drum roll for Apple/IOS, this article is completely US centric.

(...)

Well according to Apple rocketing sales in Chinese market, from which Google is virtually absent, I wont bet on that...

• Reply 56 of 84
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

That'll be interesting to see. Perhaps it'll be analogous to the system Apple Pay uses: one-time authentication codes.

Oh, the kerfuffle that'll create! Like the uproar Adobe created with its subscription business model for its software tools (I'm glad they did, as I hated to see the piracy going on).

• Reply 57 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crunchingnumber View Post

Wrong on several counts.

Apple has never (and I hope WILL never) had an obligation to pander to the unwashed masses. Apple makes the best products in the world, which, therefore, cost more. The unwashed are implicitly always welcome to come clean and aspire to Apple product ownership.

The founder is now long dead, and any attestation by you as to his whims or desires are invalid. The fact is and was that Tim Cook was exhorted by Steve NOT to do what he would do, but to do what was RIGHT. Mr. Cook, as evidenced by Apple's stellar statistics, is indeed doing what is RIGHT.

The jailbreak community is who is suffering from myopia. Those miscreants would rather sneak around and tinker rather than legitimately request features from Apple, the asking of which would be their best chance, but would yet not necessarily guarantee that Apple would bend to them.

Apple has the privilege and duty to remain true to its principles and purposes and judge for itself how best to design and produce its products.

• Reply 58 of 84
    reefoidreefoid Posts: 158member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanielSW View Post

Oh, the kerfuffle that'll create! Like the uproar Adobe created with its subscription business model for its software tools (I'm glad they did, as I hated to see the piracy going on).

And you think that in any way lessened the use of pirated Adobe products?  Everyone I know who was using pirated Adobe software continues to use pirated Adobe CC software, the move to a subscription model did jack shit to stop it.

I very much doubt any update can PERMANENTLY wall off jailbreaks, there will always be vulnerabilities.

• Reply 59 of 84
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DanielSW View Post

That'll be interesting to see. Perhaps it'll be analogous to the system Apple Pay uses: one-time authentication codes.

The Adobe subscription model didn't stop piracy. Actually, it only took one day after the release of Photoshop CC for a pirate version to be available.

http://gizmodo.com/adobes-creative-cloud-has-already-been-pirated-514563307

http://www.theverge.com/2013/6/20/4447916/adobe-photoshop-cc-pirated-in-one-day

• Reply 60 of 84
    Quote:

Originally Posted by reefoid View Post

And you think that in any way lessened the use of pirated Adobe products?  Everyone I know who was using pirated Adobe software continues to use pirated Adobe CC software, the move to a subscription model did jack shit to stop it.

I very much doubt any update can PERMANENTLY wall off jailbreaks, there will always be vulnerabilities.

Creative Cloud is at least a move in the right direction. I'm only guessing about what Apple might do to block jailbreaking, but, conceptually, single use authentication would seem to be effective.