Apple fires Campus 2 contractors as 'spaceship' faces delays, spiraling costs

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 63
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thrang View Post

Ok, but then the story should say they didn't break ground until 2014, so the two year shift in completion date is all or mostly not related to current construction delays or problems, but whatever reasons they waited to start (design changes, permits, demolition, goodness knows what else).

And the cost changes may have to do with the enormous change in scope as noted later in that same article you linked to, from housing 6,000 people to 12-13,000 personnel. From a per-person basis, that almost sounds like the 2.5 to 5 bn difference!

"from housing 6,000 people to 12-13,000 personnel. From a per-person basis, that almost sounds like the 2.5 to 5 bn difference!"

Indeed that's what I attribute the cost uptick to, that's a rather large changes when you double the intended occupancy.

• Reply 62 of 63
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,655member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

"from housing 6,000 people to 12-13,000 personnel. From a per-person basis, that almost sounds like the 2.5 to 5 bn difference!"

Indeed that's what I attribute the cost uptick to, that's a rather large changes hen you double the intended occupancy.

If you're adding another floor or two to the building or constructing additional buildings, maybe.  But I think we know that the general size of the building in terms of its single-floor area hasn't changed.   If the interior is being redesigned to handle twice as many employees, that would change how much furniture you have to buy and the interior design, but it shouldn't change the overall construction costs.   Let's say you're splurging for the nicest office cubes available and they cost $10,000 each.   For an additional 7000 personnel, that's another $70 million.   That's a very long way from even an extra $ billion. 

$5 billion is extraordinary, if that's an accurate number unless this really is a spaceship.    $5 billion is more than the cost of One World Trade Center - an over 100-story building that will house well over 25,000 employees and handles 10,000 visitors per day, built in NYC where everything costs absurdly more to build.    

• Reply 63 of 63
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    zoetmb wrote: »
    If you're adding another floor or two to the building or constructing additional buildings, maybe.  But I think we know that the general size of the building in terms of its single-floor area hasn't changed.   If the interior is being redesigned to handle twice as many employees, that would change how much furniture you have to buy and the interior design, but it shouldn't change the overall construction costs.

They likely had planned to shell at least half the building and finish it out as they "grew into" it. That drives cost up dramatically. I believe they also added another structure to the campus that wasn't originally part of this phase of construction.

The biggest impact though is likely to be the 2-year delay in breaking ground, as the economy has picked up significantly.