Spotify climbs to 20M paid subscribers, picks up $526M in funding ahead of Apple Music launch

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 48
    lostkiwilostkiwi Posts: 639member
    sector7g wrote: »
    most people i know who are on spotify are those who got it free with the mobile phone package
    That is a really good point. Spotify have a number of carrier contracts around the world that boost subscriber numbers for both the carrier & Spotify.

If Apple Music did that it would be super awesome, however I do think it is unlikely based on Apples track record.

I do like using Spotify, but I hope that Apple can quickly dominate the streaming market. As others have noted from the Keynote, it suggested to me that Apples endgame is to cut out the labels and encourage artist to consumer business....which would be AMAZING!!! ????
  • Reply 42 of 48
    acejax805acejax805 Posts: 109member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

So it’s all over for Apple Music, right? According to this thread it’s unanimous, Apple Music is D.O.A. Glad that’s been decided. Let’s move on to the next Apple failure.

Yeah, agreed. I love how Apple enters a market they have never been in completely, listens to all the public's doubt, and then blasts right through analysts predictions (iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, etc) and no one can understand how it happened.

• Reply 43 of 48
    otacorbotacorb Posts: 20member

Spotify continue to thrive?  LOL  They are losing money and have to keep begging for an infusion.  If are naive if you believe that there aren't a lot of folks that are current Spotify subs that will switch simply for the convenience.  I've seen at least a half dozen in this thread alone saying it.  Not to mentions many others in various other forums.  Spotify is going to take a hit over the next 3 or 4 months.  I think many will cancel them and get on the free trial with Apple.  The big question is can Apple keep them long term and prevent them from going back to Spotify.  

I personally have a lot of issues with Spotify sometimes forgetting that my music is downloaded, it freezes and requires me to restart it.  Sometimes it just quits playing.  Since I've not used Apple Music I can't say how the experience with it will be.  However, if I don't have these issues I can tell you it's a keeper.  Also, you can bet Apple is going to get some exclusives, they are going to do some fun things with Apple Music.

Apple is also a marketing machine.  They can spend tons of money promoting Apple Music.  Spotify can barely keep the lights on, much less do much in the way of marketing.  I predict in a year Apple music will be turning a profit and Spotify will still be trying to figure out how to get there.  They will eventually be forced to dramatically limit their free tier or ditch it all together.  They have 20 millions subs that is as much as SIRIUSXM and they are making a profit.  Yet Spotify is bleeding money daily!  

• Reply 44 of 48
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    nairb wrote: »
    I wonder how many of those paid subscribers are people who decided that they want streaming music and chose Spotify.

In the Netherlands, some of the big internet providers are offering free premium spotify accounts as a bonus. Of course you pay for in higher internet premiums, but lots of people have accounts through these providers. It helps lock people into the providers, and also into Spotify. <span style="line-height:1.4em;">Unless people would be unlikely to change to Apple, or any other competitor,  unless they are also unhappy with their internet provider.</span>

My guess would be that these companies negotiated a discount with Spotify in exchange for signing up their customers.

The same thing here in Switzerland, Spotify is part of my contract. Actually that's how I was first introduced to it, when I got a new contract the guy told me it included Spotify. I really didn't pay much attention to it until I tried it, have been using it for almost 2 years now, great service. I can't imagine Beats or Apples streaming service offering anything more than what I'm already getting with Spotify. Their web interface is also really good, in fact I use it more than the stand alone app.
  • Reply 45 of 48
    Spotify on OS X is a system pig.

Just use their web app, it's actually better than the stand alone. The Spotify app is just HTML5 anyway so your basically running a web app wrapped like desktop application. My Spotify app never uses more than 8% of available memory so there might be an underlying issue. Try deleting the app and re-installing it, make sure your using the latest.
  • Reply 46 of 48
    john12345 wrote: »

What's the reason to go with Spotify if Apple Music does essentially the same thing?

Or visas versa, what does Apples streaming offer that will make me switch. I don't like iTunes and Apple only streams it's music at 245kbps vs. 320kbps with Spotify. 64kbps isn't much I know, but I've already created my PlayLists, pay the same amount and I know the interface front and back, plus I enjoy creating mixes for people and have a fairly decent following. I'm sure Apples streaming service will be fine for people new to such services but I don't see many people migrating from Spotify to Apple, there just isn't any reason to do so other than it's Apple.
  • Reply 47 of 48
    crimguycrimguy Posts: 124member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Just use their web app, it's actually better than the stand alone. The Spotify app is just HTML5 anyway so your basically running a web app wrapped like desktop application. My Spotify app never uses more than 8% of available memory so there might be an underlying issue. Try deleting the app and re-installing it, make sure your using the latest.

I ran the top command and noted nothing out of the ordinary with Spotify.  Used a lot of memory (Spotify Help) but in terms of cpu usage it was a creampuff compared to itunes, which averaged about 15.3% even though it wasn't playing anything!

Either way I've never had any complaints about running spotify, even on my 12" macbook.