Apple enables third-party content blockers for Safari in iOS 9

Comments

• Reply 61 of 84
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

I think that sites which have or have tried to have a paywall have more than proven that the masses are not willing to pay for quality.

I don't think it's an issue of people not wanting to pay for quality. Apple's success has proven otherwise otherwise. It's more a matter of not wanting to get nickel and dimed for every site.

If we paid - even a small sum - for every website we find of interest, we'd end up with a total internet expenditure that would dwarf our cable bills. That's simply not a viable option. And the opposite extreme, consolidation, is laughable considering the history of AOL and others.

• Reply 62 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

I was thinking of Googles NewsStand for iOS, I just started my iPad in anticipation of correcting you, nope, your right, I'm wrong. There are so many of these damn apps out there I'm honestly confused as to who is making what.

That's ok, we all make mistakes. In your defense, Apple does have an app called Newsstand, which is a portal for digital newspapers and magazines. They just killed it and are turning it into a simple app folder, since most publishers have opted to create independent apps for their publications.

• Reply 63 of 84
    dshandshan Posts: 53member
    Oh joy, oh rapture, oh happy days! This is one of the killer features for mobile Safari I've been waiting years for. The browsing experience using mobile Safari is totally ruined by all the damn ads on so many websites compared to my adblocked desktop Safari and Firefox.

Many sites are almost unusable, let alone readable, thanks to all the ads, they're also hard to navigate given that almost anywhere you touch to scroll may trigger an ad, it's totally out of control and long overdue that users be able to stop this. Thank you Apple!

My other dealy wished for mobile Safari feature is of course the ability to save a webpage, to local or cloud storage services, like you've been able to do on every destop browser since Netscape 1.x. If that's in iOS 9 Safari too I'll be over the Moon!
  • Reply 64 of 84
    mejsricmejsric Posts: 152member
    freediverx wrote: »
    Given that the News app demos didn't show any advertising, how are content publishers supposed to monetize this?

Its just a demo.. Probably, probably it will show ads maybe just like Flipboard, and maybe its also a way to steal Google ads.. Since, obviously it will use iAds.

Sounds like blocking ads on Safari.. while, stealing news publisher to use iAds on News apps.
  • Reply 65 of 84
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dshan View Post

My other dealy wished for mobile Safari feature is of course the ability to save a webpage, to local or cloud storage services, like you've been able to do on every destop browser since Netscape 1.x. If that's in iOS 9 Safari too I'll be over the Moon!

Are you not familiar with Reading List?

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT200294

• Reply 66 of 84
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Repost, I'm with stupid, finger pointing to me.
  • Reply 67 of 84
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,253member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Here’s what Apple needs to do:

They’ve already sandboxed plugins and allow us to choose “Allow”, “Block”, “Allow Always” (which is completely broken and shouldn’t exist since apparently Apple is too stupid to figure out something this simple), and “Ask.”

When set to “Block”, Safari should report to websites that FLASH IS NOT INSTALLED AT ALL. It doesn’t do that. So site owners see “flash installed” on their visits, so they’re not pressured into switching.

I don't have Flash installed and some websites will go ahead and give me HTML5 video so some websites have code that actually checks. I like your idea and would be satisfied with the three that usually work with plugins. I wonder if Adobe has some legal requirements with website operators that forbid them from blocking Flash if it's there. I assume there's code in websites that can determine what platform and OS is being used, which is why iOS sites either give you HTML5 or they come up with the stupid plug-in not found message. If so, then it's still up to the website operator to enter code that checks to see if Flash is even installed and if not, runs HTML5. Safari really shouldn't have to do this and I doubt they will to keep Adobe from filing some sort of lawsuit against them.

• Reply 68 of 84
    Notice that he talks about offering Apple users advice, in the third person. Uh huh.
  • Reply 69 of 84
    Are you not familiar with Reading List?

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT200294

Oh neat. If you are offline, such as in airplane mode, it just displays a cached copy. Otherwise it fetches the latest content from the server. I did not know that it worked like that offline. Thanks!
  • Reply 70 of 84
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Oh neat. If you are offline, such as in airplane mode, it just displays a cached copy. Otherwise it fetches the latest content from the server. I did not know that it worked like that offline. Thanks!

And it syncs across your devices. A page you added to Reading List on your Mac last month will be available offline on your iPhone while on a plane ride.

• Reply 71 of 84
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

You should recognize the logo too...

• Reply 72 of 84
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    philboogie wrote: »
    I wouldn't complain. I'd love to be able to pay for an ad free access to this site, but unfortunately their app still displays ads, contrary to what they state in the App Store.

Besides, people are always willing to pay for quality. Ads really aren needed.

You paid for their subscription and they still show you ads?

Yup. Problem lies in the fact that one can read the comments to the articles which pulls up a page with the content from Huddler. And that includes ads. The app is simply poorly designed and not thoroughly tested by either AI nor Apple. If it was Apple would never allow Crafted Creative Inc. to state that their app gets rid of all ads when paying for a subscription which simply isn't true. And it's been like this since v1 from December 2012.

• Reply 73 of 84
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    philboogie wrote: »
    Yup. Problem lies in the fact that one can read the comments to the articles which pulls up a page with the content from Huddler. And that includes ads. The app is simply poorly designed and not thoroughly tested by either AI nor Apple. If it was Apple would never allow Crafted Creative Inc. to state that their app gets rid of all ads when paying for a subscription which simply isn't true. And it's been like this since v1 from December 2012

That sucks, Phil. but wtf do you do ?
  • Reply 74 of 84
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    rob53 wrote: »
    I don't have Flash installed and some websites will go ahead and give me HTML5 video so some websites have code that actually checks. I like your idea and would be satisfied with the three that usually work with plugins. I wonder if Adobe has some legal requirements with website operators that forbid them from blocking Flash if it's there. I assume there's code in websites that can determine what platform and OS is being used, which is why iOS sites either give you HTML5 or they come up with the stupid plug-in not found message. If so, then it's still up to the website operator to enter code that checks to see if Flash is even installed and if not, runs HTML5. Safari really shouldn't have to do this and I doubt they will to keep Adobe from filing some sort of lawsuit against them.

OT - what the hell is up with Flash lately ?
    I swear I've had prolly 4 updates in the last 3 weeks alone !
    I know one was for some vulnerability about 2-3 weeks ago.
    But I had 1 last week and a prompt for another update this afternoon - crazy.

(This only for my htpc Mac mini. Not for the other machines that are flash "clear".)
    Adobe may as well admit surrender and kill off the pig - not worth the high maintenance.
  • Reply 75 of 84
    relic wrote: »
    I'm honestly confused as to who is making what.

Now that Apple is going to rename Passbook to Wallet and Google is going to rename Wallet to Google Pay, which was inspired by Passbook there is more to get confused by.
  • Reply 76 of 84
    robm wrote: »

That sucks, Phil. but wtf do you do ?

No choice but to ignore the ads. And there's little reason to use the app anymore now that they've optimised the website for iPhones. The website, not the comment section, which still sucks.
  • Reply 77 of 84
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

But there is a downside:   we have sites and services with ads because consumers have refused to pay for those sites and services.   If we kill the ad business with blockers, then don't complain when sites want to start charging for access. 

If they have anything worthwhile, people will pay for it.

• Reply 78 of 84
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Reply 79 of 84
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Reply 80 of 84
    dklebedev wrote: »
    Advertising stinks. Anyone going out of their home or browsing the Internet for ads? Ads encourage improper thinking about the product's development. I've worked with far to many companies that relied on advertising to sell their subpar product. In 2015 more and more companies realize that you have to win by market forces. Do good, make it better, solve an actual problem and the customer will find you. If you rely on advertising you're doing something wrong. Easy money overshadowed your thinking.

OK, so given that you read this piece and are participating in this discussion forum we can assume you find some value in AppleInsider, which is ad supported. The writer needs to make a living, as do the folks who design, develop, and maintain the website and the infrastructure that brought it to your web browser...

How do you propose all of this be financed in lieu of advertising?