Apple's 'iPhone 6s' could improve selfies with 1080p front-facing camera and flash

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    williamlondonwilliamlondon Posts: 1,324member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

What's a "selfie"? Is that anything like a "self-portrait"?

A picture taken by people who believe that what we see (i.e. them) is such a great view of life that the image simply must be captured (by them), over and over and over in a variety of settings and times, basically always and everywhere. What they see in life (i.e. us and the rest of the world) is so utterly and completely uninteresting to these people that the only way to improve their view of it is to stick a camera in between it and them which then acts as a focal point for their attention, thus eliminating the ghastly horror of having to view us and the rest of the world. Immediately after taking a selfie, those involved then transfer their collective attention to the device's screen to view the image just taken so they can then delight in the captured images. ;-)

• Reply 22 of 40
    I've never really understood why Apple (or any other phone manufacturer) don't have the same camera on the front as in the back...
  • Reply 23 of 40
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NailedToTheX View Post

I've never really understood why Apple (or any other phone manufacturer) don't have the same camera on the front as in the back...

It's those pesky laws of physics.

• Reply 24 of 40
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    msantti wrote: »
    Sounds good.

Something will have to give though so Apple can keep its margins in tact.

Probably start with a 8 GB model phone instead of 16.

Then go with 32 and 64.

Technology marches forward, they would likely pay the same price for the new camera as they do for the old one. This is the same as what we see with CPU chips, performance increases almost every year at the same price point.
  • Reply 25 of 40
    theothergeofftheothergeoff Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

It's those pesky laws of physics.

and the laws of economics.

"A Ferengi without profit is no Ferengi at all" - Rule 18 of the Rules of Acquisition.

• Reply 26 of 40
    schlackschlack Posts: 720member
    fallenjt wrote: »
    what if you have multiple people, how the hell the camera would know which wink from a particular person to process the command?

I can't tell if you're just trolling or being serious. I specifically said in my post that only the owner of the phone winking will trigger it.
  • Reply 27 of 40
    peteralt wrote: »
    I wonder what the Apple process is in developing next generation products. Do they have all the details figured out at the get-go, or do they have a long wish-list of features and changes they want to make and try to fit as many in as possible before a given deadline and a set of priorities with its given development budget? Do they have multiple variations being developed and the one they use is the one that looks most likely given the time and budget restrictions?

Any major corporation embarking on a major project makes use of contingency plans and works from a set of desired capabilities.
  • Reply 28 of 40
    analogjack wrote: »
    It's a self-portrait of an idiot.

Perfectly expressed!
  • Reply 29 of 40
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

Small siblings will be discontinued soon. Why bother? Unless Apple will make brand new 4" device for the line up 4", 4.7" and 5.5", I don't see any new features will go to old 4".

It is my desire that Apple should make brand new 4" device because truthfully 4 out of 5 people in my home likes iphone 4s and 5/5s  size and they are using it happily. No upgrade has been asked after iphone 6 came out.

• Reply 30 of 40
    peteralt wrote: »
    I wonder what the Apple process is in developing next generation products. Do they have all the details figured out at the get-go, or do they have a long wish-list of features and changes they want to make and try to fit as many in as possible before a given deadline and a set of priorities with its given development budget? Do they have multiple variations being developed and the one they use is the one that looks most likely given the time and budget restrictions?

I believe Apple's planning is long range and their vision includes several generations of iPhones at any given time. While Apple takes note of advances implemented by other manufactures they do not act reactive to them. This is why Apple is not always first with a given feature, but does usually implement features more sensibly when they do come along than competitors have done. Everything is done to address a pre-planned stream of advancements that fit Apple's long-term strategy. At times this means a feature may be delayed until a later model ... usually due to it being not quite perfect when expected.

This also why the Apple iDevices run far smoother then competitor's devices, with less jerkiness or delays. The intelligence of the iDevices are a good match to what the CPU/GPU can handle. Whereas a Samsung phone can sometimes run as fast or a little faster then an iPhone... it can only sustain that for a few minutes before it throttles itself back due to heat buildup. Apple's devices can run full out for an indefinite period of time.

Apple's iPhone back-facing camera can shoot stills and video, it can shot 5 shots in a quick series and select the best shot of the group. It can shoot slo-mo video and a wide panorama shot if one wants. The 6+ even has image stabilization. I think it's amazing that Apple may be bringing some of these features to the front-facing camera as well. The number of pixels behind a lens is a variable that impacts some of the features of a camera. In a video, the electronics needs to fully process each frame of a video (especially when the camera is taking hundreds of frames in a slo-mo video). The more pixels behind the lens, the more time it takes to process the information. The more filters applied at time of shooting stills or videos, again the more mathematics needs to be done, practically instantly, to be ready for the next shutter opening.

Apple has said before that they are working on providing what the customer wants, before the customer knows they want it. It is working from this base that Apple is leading the market to places we can only speculate about.
  • Reply 31 of 40

it's about time!

• Reply 32 of 40
    Personally I think these "eye phone" gizmos have too many features and I'd like to see the next version get back to basics with just buttons for numbers and no screen so we can get back to basics. Then maybe my grandkids would call me more often or come visit me before I die in here. You kids!
  • Reply 33 of 40
    staticx57staticx57 Posts: 405member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

I believe Apple's planning is long range and their vision includes several generations of iPhones at any given time. While Apple takes note of advances implemented by other manufactures they do not act reactive to them. This is why Apple is not always first with a given feature, but does usually implement features more sensibly when they do come along than competitors have done. Everything is done to address a pre-planned stream of advancements that fit Apple's long-term strategy. At times this means a feature may be delayed until a later model ... usually due to it being not quite perfect when expected.

This also why the Apple iDevices run far smoother then competitor's devices, with less jerkiness or delays. The intelligence of the iDevices are a good match to what the CPU/GPU can handle. Whereas a Samsung phone can sometimes run as fast or a little faster then an iPhone... it can only sustain that for a few minutes before it throttles itself back due to heat buildup. Apple's devices can run full out for an indefinite period of time.

Apple's iPhone back-facing camera can shoot stills and video, it can shot 5 shots in a quick series and select the best shot of the group. It can shoot slo-mo video and a wide panorama shot if one wants. The 6+ even has image stabilization. I think it's amazing that Apple may be bringing some of these features to the front-facing camera as well. The number of pixels behind a lens is a variable that impacts some of the features of a camera. In a video, the electronics needs to fully process each frame of a video (especially when the camera is taking hundreds of frames in a slo-mo video). The more pixels behind the lens, the more time it takes to process the information. The more filters applied at time of shooting stills or videos, again the more mathematics needs to be done, practically instantly, to be ready for the next shutter opening.

Apple has said before that they are working on providing what the customer wants, before the customer knows they want it. It is working from this base that Apple is leading the market to places we can only speculate about.

In an effort to be fair and balanced, iPhones most definitely do throttle. From reviews I have read, the Galaxy S6 seems fairly resistant to throttling as well, since it uses the msot advanced chip lithography outside of Intel.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/09/iphone-6-and-6-plus-in-deep-with-apples-thinnest-phones/3/

In fact, my iPad throttles, my Macbook Pro throttles even though it has a fan, it is just something you live with.

• Reply 34 of 40
    libertyforalllibertyforall Posts: 1,418member

Cool, but I wonder more about Sigfox support in iPhone 6S for the IoT...  Such as the forthcoming Whistle GPS for pets...  Sigfox on iPhone might mean no need for Whistle GPS to talk to a tower, depending on your range between phone and pet collar.  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sigfox

Actually I am more interested in seeing mesh networking support to reduce or eventually eliminate cellular subscriptions.  ;)  Something like what SilverSpring Networks has, but faster...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_Spring_Networks

• Reply 35 of 40

"Improve selfies"? Selfies are lame... How can they be improved?

• Reply 36 of 40
    estebanesteban Posts: 85member

• Reply 37 of 40
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Boltsfan17 View Post

Please no. I can't stand those things. 

I actually have an extendable Selfie Stick and it's the best $7.99 investment ever. Why? because I use it for different purpose: to hang my clothes on the top closet racks (I have 3-level closets, the highest one is ~9 ft). The built-in Bluetooth is used to turn ony Bluetooth switch for the closet lights while I hang the clothes.

• Reply 38 of 40
    rp2011rp2011 Posts: 159member
    I think it's interesting that here we are in June and we have yet to see actual part leaks. In this case the back with dual lens or fronts with added flash opening.
    This has to set some sort of precedent.
  • Reply 39 of 40
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Some of the best photos in my collection of myself with my wife, or myself with my son, are from the front camera of an iPhone. Unfortunately, they are also the worst photos in my collection due to the abysmal quality of all iPhone's front camera (going back to the iPhone 1).

So yes, please, Apple finally start making the front camera respectable.