iOS 9 Maps provides en route traffic avoidance, voice and banner warnings

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    Quote:

Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Dear Apple,

Your POI data is a hot mess.  Please fix that first.

Sincerely,

John.B

In progress... http://maps.apple.com/vehicles/

• Reply 22 of 36
    damonfdamonf Posts: 229member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

Nice, but Apple needs to steal the Green, Orange, Red traffic colors from Google, and also the bike maps.

As far as the colors, I heard on a podcast just yesterday why they don't use green on the map, just orange and red dashed lines: some people are color blind and cannot discern the green/good indicators from the red.  So on Apple Maps, they only bring attention to trouble spots with the orange and red dashed lines (the dash helps distinguish the line from the road).  Everything else is presumed "green" / no issues if it doesn't have a dashed red or orange line.

• Reply 23 of 36
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    damonf wrote: »
    As far as the colors, I heard on a podcast just yesterday why they don't use green on the map, just orange and red dashed lines: some people are color blind and cannot discern the green/good indicators from the red.  So on Apple Maps, they only bring attention to trouble spots with the orange and red dashed lines (the dash helps distinguish the line from the road).  Everything else is presumed "green" / no issues if it doesn't have a dashed red or orange line.
    Garmin for years has used the colors they do for the same reason, color blindness, which affects men far more often than women.
  • Reply 24 of 36
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    diverreal wrote: »
    Probably because it's not just about you.  There are many features in Waze that has some users sticking to it until the Apple alternative catches up...such as better routing, user reportable hazards, accidents, police etc.

nice try, but the complainer i was replying to was decrying the fact that Waze had this first. again: it doesnt matter. this isn't a Waze forum.

personally, i quit using Waze (via my Pioneer AppRadio) the first time it inserted an ad into my route -- popping up a Motel 8 or something and suggesting i stop there. this required a tap to close. hows that for user experience!? pretty awesome, huh?

yeah, so anyway, back to Maps...
  • Reply 25 of 36
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    For you, that's fine. Many other people prefer to use the best product for a purpose, and the best product may be about to gain some competition.

again, you're missing the point -- this is an article about *Apple Maps*, on an Apple site, and the complainer was citing the fact that another app had this first as a criticism of this product. that is illogical. try again.
  • Reply 26 of 36
    waterrocketswaterrockets Posts: 1,231member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

again, you're missing the point -- this is an article about *Apple Maps*, on an Apple site, and the complainer was citing the fact that another app had this first as a criticism of this product. that is illogical. try again.

Comparing products is illogical? What Internet are you on?

• Reply 27 of 36
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Great. I'd love it if Apple incorporated some Waze-like features, such as accident, obstruction and speed trap reporting from users.

I agree this is one of the key feature of why I use WAZE, and I probably continuer to use WAZE becuase of this.

john.b wrote: »
    I don't normally use Waze because the location services settings option are either "Always" and "Never".   I don't need a traffic app draining my battery in the background unnecessarily when I'm home, at work, grocery shopping, etc.

N.B. The Waze app hangs if you happen to start it when its set to "Never".

I have never enountered this problem with WAZE and I have used it for years now both on iOS and Andriod.

I do agree that you have to go in and purposely turn waze off otherwise it runs in the background, this is even true to Andriod. This happen after Google bought them, I think they want to know where you are even when you are not driving. They recently added the feature of being able to tell were you parked your car but you can not turn it off if you want this to work for you. This maybe a way to trick you into allowing them to track you if you can not seem to remember where you parked.

cm477 wrote: »
    After using Waze for so many years, I guess I will have to give Apple Maps another chance. I like Waze for its ability to find the best route around traffic, which I thought was superior to both Apple Maps and Google Maps. Waze development seems to be increasingly focused on the social aspect, which is great for notifying one about traffic conditions and hazards, but otherwise is not important to me. Just get me from Point A to B the fastest way possible.

Unlike Google maps and now Apple Maps, Waze does not solely rely on government (DOT) traffic monitoring systems which are not on all road and do not work all the time. WAZE is using the social (crowd sourcing information) to determine real time traffic conditions on all roads. It will be interesting to find out if Apple will use crowd source data to deternine best routes, the reason I say this I have seen Google maps try and route you around traffic on a highway and tells you to exit only to put you smack in the middle of traffic on surface streets which do not have traffic monitoring systems.

POI and address are issues for both Google and Apple, I can speak to Google Maps more than Apple maps, but I had more issue with Google Maps pin pointing an address than WAZE. Google translates addresses to GPS coordinated and sometimes those coordinated are wrong. Yes you can correct them but it take google forever to fix them especially if they are business, google will not correct them unless the business owner request the correction. Waze lets map editors volunteers fix them when they are reported as wrong.

I suspect that Apple has less of an issue since they use TomTom for mapping and POI and I used TomTom for years before switching to my phone full time and TomTom never got me lost and never failed to find the correct address. I use to uses my TomTom side by side with Google maps for some time before I switch to WAZE and more times and not Google Map would route be differently then my TomTom and put me at the wrong location.

Because of this I tend to use WAZE address and POI database to get directions verses using the default Google database which happen when Google bought Waze.
  • Reply 28 of 36
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

I suspect that Apple has less of an issue since they use TomTom for mapping and POI and I used TomTom for years before switching to my phone full time and TomTom never got me lost and never failed to find the correct address. I use to uses my TomTom side by side with Google maps for some time before I switch to WAZE and more times and not Google Map would route be differently then my TomTom and put me at the wrong location.

I wonder if TomTom will be sharing its crowd-sourced data with Maps. They've been working with crowd-sourcing since 2010 or so. Although I would expect that Maps would have to share back to be authorized to use the data, and that doesn't seem to align with Apple's privacy standards.

• Reply 29 of 36
    neo-techneo-tech Posts: 38member
    John.b

Waze has a power button that puts it to sleep so that you don't have to worry about draining your battery when you are not using it.
  • Reply 30 of 36
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,898member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Great. I'd love it if Apple incorporated some Waze-like features, such as accident, obstruction and speed trap reporting from users.

I've been using Waze for 6 months or so now and I cannot figure out how one is supposed to use those features safely while driving.  The only time I have used them is when there is another person in the car who can interact with the phone.  Plus In Austin we now have a ban on cell phone use while driving so that makes it even harder.

• Reply 31 of 36
    td912td912 Posts: 26member
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    personally, i quit using Waze (via my Pioneer AppRadio) the first time it inserted an ad into my route -- popping up a Motel 8 or something and suggesting i stop there. this required a tap to close. hows that for user experience!? pretty awesome, huh?

Waze detects when you're traveling less than 1mph and should only show you ads when you're stopped at a light or something. Once you start moving again it disappears automatically.

Still, I've been putting up with using Waze mainly because of the traffic rerouting and alert sharing features, as well as the ability to edit the map if you see errors.

Despite these great features, the Waze UI is very buggy. It's like they stopped putting effort into polishing the app after Google bought them out. The search feature barely works properly because it's trying to mash together a bunch of different sources and does a bad job of sorting them out. Setting separate start and end points is unintuitive. Adding multiple destinations can cause it to frequently bug out in the middle of driving when it tries to recalculate a route. The map display isn't as smooth or as detailed. The default Samantha TTS voice is dated and very muffled compared to Siri, although they're attempting to semi-address this by adding in same voice as Google Maps. They keep focusing on adding more and more social/sharing features but haven't bothered to clean up the core navigation system and interface much, and it's getting annoying.

Waze does not keep running in the background unless you are still navigating somewhere or recently parked and/or closed the app. The iOS 8 warning is sometimes misleading as it doesn't always mean "OMG they're spying on me!", it could mean you've been trying to multitask with a GPS app open. You can easily verify this by looking at the phone status bar. If there's no "Location Services" arrow icon, nothing is using your location information. There was one version of Waze that messed up and set a geofence that kept the arrow icon visible, but they quickly fixed that. Again, due to the buggy design of the Waze app these things can be misleading or confusing but they're not malicious.

Despite what some people here have said, Apple, Google, and even Waze use multiple sources for traffic data, although they each use them differently. All of them use DOT/STMC traffic data, although Waze relies mainly on its userbase and only shows general construction and very basic traffic info from the STMC and doesn't factor in the speed/traffic data or road closures from them. They also all have partnerships with other companies such as TotalTraffic and TrafficCast, which supply them with additional information for not just major highways but smaller roads as well. Waze relies more on its userbase and only uses these companies for basic construction and traffic info. And yes, all of them record the speed you're traveling on the current road and use fancy statistical analysis to compute live route speeds and detect traffic slowdowns. You can see this with the historical traffic data view in Google Maps. Google records it for all roads, but generally only publicly shows data for anything greater than a collector road. Waze just puts more emphasis on this aspect that most.
  • Reply 32 of 36
    Quote:

Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

I've been using Waze for 6 months or so now and I cannot figure out how one is supposed to use those features safely while driving.  The only time I have used them is when there is another person in the car who can interact with the phone.  Plus In Austin we now have a ban on cell phone use while driving so that makes it even harder.

In Austin, the law applies to hand-held systems, and it's fine if you're hands-free. Waving your hand in front of the phone and saying "Report," "Accident," "Major," is legal and safe.

I highly recommend a Kenu Airframe: http://store.apple.com/us/product/HH0Q2ZM/A/kenu-airframe-car-vent-mount-for-iphone

• Reply 33 of 36
    [IMG]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/60327/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

This prompt popped up a few days ago as I was driving home from Wisconsin while using Beta 1. I get CarPlay tomorrow, so am curious how these will be incorporated into the interface! So happy that Maps finally has this feature!
  • Reply 34 of 36
    Doesn't work as often in my usage after nearly a year. There's not a full collaboration by the local Traffic agencies. i had tons of detours not submitted to Apple. So clearly not a full collaboration. 
  • Reply 35 of 36

They are catching up. We'll have to see how it compares to Waze routing though.

Yes, because of the lack of these absolutely critical feature Maps in CarPlay mode is useless to me and Waze does not work with CarPlay on the iPhone.
    edited February 2016
  • Reply 36 of 36
    Time to break Driving, Biking/Walking, and Public Transport into separate apps.  I don't see any reason they should be combined.  Yes, some users will need all three, and yes some parts of the source database, and code, will be shared.  But 99% of drivers will never bike outside a gym, public transport users are unlikely not also to download the other apps should they need, etc.  Give me three excellent, focused, uncluttered apps, not just one that does all three mediocre.