Everything you need to know about Apple Music

Comments

• Reply 21 of 103
    bobschlob wrote: »

"Really who cares if you have The Beatles or even Taylor Swift. They are the past."
    Just such a stupid and immature thing to say.

You probably think "The Hunger Games" is cool.
    (Oops, you probably don't use the word "cool", do you Fonzie?)

I'm 42 and well aware of the historical significance of the Beatles.

They might have been the biggest earning band in history but Beyoncé earned the most last year. with Justin Beiber and One Direction in the top 10.

Beatles who?

and another 12 years in the future you don't even know the name of the biggest grossing artist yet. Probably just started making their mark, might be Drake, might be Weeknd

whoever they are they will be on Apple Music and Apple intends for them to have made their money on Apple Music
  • Reply 22 of 103
    I will say this for what it's worth. Neither of my teenage kids (19 and 16) had heard of "Apple Music", 24 hours later. They were surprised to hear that this was a potential competitor to Spotify. They have not seen or heard about it on any of the social media sites they both frequent, and not one of their friends had mentioned it either.

I realize that this is only two data points, but it is possibly problematic for Apple if more broadly true.
  • Reply 23 of 103
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    I am canceling my SirriusXM for the two cars I own as soon as ? Music is released. I already cancelled my iTunes Match since I have 64GB IPhone now.
  • Reply 24 of 103
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

This attitude is hilariously out of touch. You aren't familiar with Taylor Swift, are you?

I am familiar with her and her savvy use of social media. Not into her music and I don't spend my time following what music artists do in their spare time.

• Reply 25 of 103
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I will say this for what it's worth. Neither of my teenage kids (19 and 16) had heard of "Apple Music", 24 hours later. They were surprised to hear that this was a potential competitor to Spotify. They have not seen or heard about it on any of the social media sites they both frequent, and not one of their friends had mentioned it either.

I realize that this is only two data points, but it is possibly problematic for Apple if more broadly true.

I saw OneRepublic and Lady Gaga (to name a few) tweeted congratulate Apple Music. The teens will know about it in no time.

• Reply 26 of 103
    laytechlaytech Posts: 335member
    It's intriguing and does seem to be getting better the more I read about it, and the comment about discovering new artists is almost making it sound like it's a place where song writers can promote and sell their own music like developers do with the App Store, which is obviously what iTunes is but this has the potential to be easier and better to discover new music.

What I don't get and even reading the FAQ's on apples own website is where my iTunes Match subscription fits in as it says Apple music uploads your albums if it can't find it in their library so says to me I can happily get rid of my iTunes Match account but then it says it compliments it - totally confusing. I am sure I will find out end of the month when it's released.

However, Siri integration is just the dogs boll...cks and so convenient.

We will have 3 months to play with it so should be interesting how it performs.
  • Reply 27 of 103
    scottjdscottjd Posts: 64member
    I've contacted support for iTunes about the question of match, and if I still get commercial free radio with my match subscription.
    Basically they said they don't know any more then what we saw released and pointed me to the FAQ.
    So do I update, do I not update? What the heck, how can they no know.

I do know I lost my local library and didn't worry because it was on match, but know I should get started on downloading all my 20,000+ songs before the end of the month just in case since they don't know.
  • Reply 28 of 103
    lostkiwilostkiwi Posts: 639member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cy_starkman View Post

Jimmy Iovine said it on stage in the preamble, it was his idea. That is why Apple bought Beats, not for the headphones or the streaming license or the personalised playlists - none of which are worth 3 billion dollars.

Apple bought the idea and the music industry brain trust to deliver it, not a store or a device but the music industry reinvented. He pretty much out and says it while carefully choosing his words.

Think of the AppStore, it isn't just a shop that sells apps, like iTunes is a shop that sells music.

I can even foresee Apple is going to have a WWDC type event annually for musicians. Not just the iTunes festival, I mean a peer event with workshops on how to market yourself and use the tools including development tools such as Logic and Garage with keynotes on what is next for their industry and how they are adding features to make it better. there will be awards, but for the best album and stuff, highlighting new artists with scholarships for student talent to hobnob and learn.

the moment of truth will come in a few years when a Grammy is given to an unsigned artist who is on Apple Music and they get up on stage and thank Apple.

the next thing will be that the Apple Music Awards will be more watched than the Grammy's

Jimmy, Trent and Dre aren't talking swag about a spotify competitor, or a record shop competitor - like they care about that level. They are talking about a music industry competitor.

Great comments(s) and I really hope you are right.

Cheers!

• Reply 29 of 103
    jonnejonne Posts: 18member
    When is Apple planning a service like this for classical music? Try to sort out your classical collection on iTunes and you land in a nightmere
  • Reply 30 of 103
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member

'Connect' is a top down social network :no: 

Color me surprised if Apple pulls this one off. It'd be an industry first.

Right now I save myself 120$/year by

1. following my artist's whereabouts on facebook and

2. expanding my music horizon through other people's curated playlists on Soundcloud.

Seriously. Apple should consider buying Soundcloud. 

• Reply 31 of 103
    It's a worldwide rollout I thought.
  • Reply 32 of 103
    starbird73starbird73 Posts: 538member
    scottjd wrote: »
    I've contacted support for iTunes about the question of match, and if I still get commercial free radio with my match subscription.
    Basically they said they don't know any more then what we saw released and pointed me to the FAQ.
    So do I update, do I not update? What the heck, how can they no know.

I do know I lost my local library and didn't worry because it was on match, but know I should get started on downloading all my 20,000+ songs before the end of the month just in case since they don't know.

I think come the fall/iPhone event, we will hear more about iTunes Match. I am paid through I think 11/19, whatever day it officially launched a few years ago. It seems redundant, but then again, there may be aspects to iTunes Match that are not part of Apple Music.
  • Reply 33 of 103
    sector7gsector7g Posts: 156member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freediverx View Post

I'm still not seeing anything to replace Beats Music's Curator Playlists.

Connect is irrelevant, as nobody cares about this besides Apple and recording artists.

For You sounds exactly the same thing as Beats' "Just For You" screen.  In my experience, that feature didn't do all that great at recommending music, focusing way too much on older music and bigger hits while seemingly ignoring the songs I actually favorited and played most often, most recently. More importantly, this feature failed to help me discover any new music.

That leaves Beats 1, which sounds like it's going to be a mish-mash of different genres and tempos. While this may offer an opportunity to discover new music, it will likely be a passive radio listening experience with no way to filter out what you don't like. I don't have the patience to sit through 20 generic "pop" or "R&B" tracks in the hopes of hearing one good indie or house song I like. Incidentally, I certainly hope the DJs for Beats 1 weren't responsible for selecting the music that played before and during the WWDC keynote. If that's what we can expect from their radio service, it will be even worse than I expected.

Pretty sure I'm going to have to switch back to Spotify.

Funny this person hasn't used any of these features yet but has trashed them all and already threatened to go back to spotify 

• Reply 34 of 103
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    jonne wrote: »
    When is Apple planning a service like this for classical music? Try to sort out your classical collection on iTunes and you land in a nightmere

Somehow I doubt Jimmy Iovine and Zane Lowe care about classical music. Listen to BBC Radio One and you'll get a feel for the type of music Apple Music will be promoting. And don't doubt for a second that the record industry will have a big influence over what gets played on Beats 1.
  • Reply 35 of 103
    You lost me at low sound quality. It doesn't matter which artist is available through the new service.
    If quality is not up to standards it's just doo doo sounding on good speakers (or good headphones). Apple should up the game and take out PONOS while they are putting everyone else out of business.
  • Reply 36 of 103
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

Pretty sure SiriusXM will crash and burn if they expand correctly.

Spotify, Amazon Whatever, etc are dead.

That's a bold, if not foolish, statement.

iTunes Radio didn't make a dent in Pandora, because no one has any idea it exists. Apple is going to have to get clever with marketing for anyone to have a clue that Apple Music is a thing. It is very tough to tell people what to listen to.

The average Spotify user won't see any reason to stop using Spotify. Apple Music is neither demonstrably better nor cheaper...at best its the same. So why wouldn't anyone switch? (Granted, I think Spotify is garbage but its users probably do not).

• Reply 37 of 103
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    ecats wrote: »
    I'm curious what happens to iTunes Match, since Match is a music product, but not really related to the streaming offer. (Other than Match removing ads from iTunes radio.)

i hope and expect it stays the same. I'm a Match customer because i merely want access to my own library, and have no plans to rent music.
  • Reply 38 of 103
    applezillaapplezilla Posts: 941member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonne View Post

I'm hoping they 'curate' genres with as much care as they are curating the 'young and hip' category that is Beats 1.

I have hope that they launch a channel or three for multiple genres. I agree that Classical needs much love to make it work in a streaming service.

• Reply 39 of 103
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by freediverx View Post

I'm still not seeing anything to replace Beats Music's Curator Playlists.

Connect is irrelevant, as nobody cares about this besides Apple and recording artists.

For You sounds exactly the same thing as Beats' "Just For You" screen.  In my experience, that feature didn't do all that great at recommending music, focusing way too much on older music and bigger hits while seemingly ignoring the songs I actually favorited and played most often, most recently. More importantly, this feature failed to help me discover any new music.

That leaves Beats 1, which sounds like it's going to be a mish-mash of different genres and tempos. While this may offer an opportunity to discover new music, it will likely be a passive radio listening experience with no way to filter out what you don't like. I don't have the patience to sit through 20 generic "pop" or "R&B" tracks in the hopes of hearing one good indie or house song I like. Incidentally, I certainly hope the DJs for Beats 1 weren't responsible for selecting the music that played before and during the WWDC keynote. If that's what we can expect from their radio service, it will be even worse than I expected.

Pretty sure I'm going to have to switch back to Spotify.

I was with you until the "switch back to Spotify" statement. That doesn't fit. AppleMusic and Spotify are essentially the same, except the software UI will be better for Apple Music, with some added perks (the ones you mentioned). There isn't any reason to use Spotify instead. That said, Spotify users will not any compelling reason to switch.

Apple made a huge mistake with pricing. The average Spotify user, that doesn't even know Apple Music exists, will need a compelling reason to even consider trying something else. If Apple could have targeted marketing towards them that says, "Everything you love about Spotify, but better, and $3 cheaper." a lot of people would have jumped on it.

• Reply 40 of 103
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

I was with you until the "switch back to Spotify" statement. That doesn't fit. AppleMusic and Spotify are essentially the same

What I'm looking for is curated playlists. Beats has them. Rdio has them. Spotify has them. I still don't see any sign of them on Apple's Music service.