Inside iOS 9: Apple makes it easier to upgrade with automatic overnight updates, smaller files

Comments

• Reply 21 of 46
    websnapwebsnap Posts: 224member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by singularity View Post

I have had the rather unpleasant experience of updates failing on vanilla iOS, so now you cant say you have never heard of this happening.

It does happen and it can put the fear of God (other supranatural entaties are available) in you when it does. There's nothing like having an expensive paperweight and an overwhelming urge to find a computer post haste to get it fixed!

Really?!?! Fascinating. So what happened, was it over the air? Bad cable? How did you resolve it?

Sorry, not trying to be a jerk or anything – I know just because something doesn’t/hasn’t happened to me that doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen at all. If it ever does happen I’d like to know who and a possible way to resolve it – just how I roll I guess.

• Reply 22 of 46
    singularitysingularity Posts: 1,328member
    websnap wrote: »
    Really?!?! Fascinating. So what happened, was it over the air? Bad cable? How did you resolve it?
    <p style="min-height:18px;"> </p>

Sorry, not trying to be a jerk or anything – I know just because something doesn’t/hasn’t happened to me that doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen at all. If it ever does happen I’d like to know who and a possible way to resolve it – just how I roll I guess.
    I'm assuming a bad cable as using another cable (both genuine Apple cables) and doing a full factory restore got it back in working condition. Thankfully I'm very ocd about having backups so no data was lost.
  • Reply 23 of 46
    websnapwebsnap Posts: 224member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by singularity View Post

I'm assuming a bad cable as using another cable (both genuine Apple cables) and doing a full factory restore got it back in working condition. Thankfully I'm very ocd about having backups so no data was lost.

Good to hear, I’m the same way.

I have started do the OTA updates since they have been available and I have never run into that issue – but it makes sense now since all it was looking for was power from a cable. Glad it wasn’t bricked.

Either way, the alarm clock scenario from the first commenter wouldn’t happen that way. Shouldn’t be leaving an update unattended when you use your phone as an alarm clock.

• Reply 24 of 46
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member

This is definitely one of the smarter moves by Apple. Software Updates should never be optional to the user under any circumstance. Users are the absolute last people in the world who should be deciding whether or not to update.

As a software developer, it turns my stomach when I see clueless people making statements about "why they won't update", as if they have ANY idea what has changed or why.

Mandatory overnight updates is fantastic. You don't own the software on your phone, and shouldn't be allowed to make choices regarding it. I do sincerely hope that Apple grows a pair and removes the ability for users to opt out of automatic updates for both OS and Apps.

• Reply 25 of 46
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    pmz wrote: »
    This is definitely one of the smarter moves by Apple. Software Updates should never be optional to the user under any circumstance. Users are the absolute last people in the world who should be deciding whether or not to update.
    As a software developer, it turns my stomach when I see clueless people making statements about "why they won't update", as if they have ANY idea what has changed or why.

Mandatory overnight updates is fantastic. You don't own the software on your phone, and shouldn't be allowed to make choices regarding it. I do sincerely hope that Apple grows a pair and removes the ability for users to opt out of automatic updates for both OS and Apps.

Firstly that's wrong. I may licence the software but that's not an obligation to put the latest software on my device. Secondly there is no mandatory update here as you can see in the screenshots, nor is there on Yosemite.
  • Reply 26 of 46
    luinilluinil Posts: 59member

Quote:

Originally Posted by websnap View Post

I had bad experience with updates.

When I was on the iPhone 4, once I got it changed because the home button was not functioning anymore. When I got the new phone in the Apple Store, I tried to update it but it failed, we tried another time on one of the mackbooks of the genius bar and this time the update could pass.

The fact that the phone could have a failed update worried me a bit but I kept it.

One year later, a few days before the release of the iPhone 5, I tried to update this phone to iOS 6, the update failed, tried again a lot of times with my macbook, failed. Went to the Apple Store where they couldn't update it either. As the update failed in the middle of the process, my phone was now a brick, and as the guaranty was expired the Apple Store would not exchange it for free (they are in their right, but at the end they gave me a defective iPhone that already had update problems the moment they gave it to me so I had hopped they'd be nice...).

A friend was able to unbrick it some years later with jailbreak tools, but update problems effectively bricked my iPhone, so yes you can have big problems with updates.

• Reply 27 of 46
    dipdog3 wrote: »
    When you use your iPhone for an alarm so you make it that important meeting in the morning, it's going to suck if the update fails & your alarm doesn't go off!
    Solid point I didn't think about.
  • Reply 28 of 46
    wigby wrote: »

I think this is partly Apple's way of telling us they intend to keep 16GB low end size for one more year. The 16GB, 64GB and 128GB sizing/pricing was hugely successful for them last year because most chose the 64GB thinking they were paying the same and getting more when they were really just getting what they should for that fair market price of flash RAM that Apple themselves set. It allows more wiggle room for Apple to price cleverly this September and the following Septembers.

Had a conversation with a few friends this Saturday and they have 6 or 6 plus but all with 16gb. I was shocked and asked them about storage. They just told me since they plan to upgrade every 18 month or 24 month, they don't want to spend extra money on storage. Whenever they run low of memory they just download all the photos and videos into the computer. To them the computer is still the hub. From all the storage brouhaha, I gained a lot of perspective last night by getting to the bottom with my friends. I bet Apple do know their statistics. But of course we expect more from Apple to not just serve their users but also drag their users into the future.
  • Reply 29 of 46

I use a 16 GB phone. I actually went from a 32 GB 5S to a 16 GB 6 to a 16 GB 6S+. The availability of iCloud Photo Library allowed me to get back into a 16 GB phone quite comfortably with a few GB free. I'm pretty fastidious about deleting apps and games I no longer use and I use the cloud for photos, videos, and music. Even on a limited data plan (I dropped unlimited last year to gain tethering since I was only using 2-3 GB most months) I find this works well for me.

• Reply 30 of 46
    adybadyb Posts: 205member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DipDog3 View Post

When you use your iPhone for an alarm so you make it that important meeting in the morning, it's going to suck if the update fails & your alarm doesn't go off!

My worry would be would the screen stay dark throughout the process - e.g. when restarting?  

As a very light sleeper who uses his iPhone as an alarm, the screen lighting up on a restart could wake me up. I know I could put the phone screen down, but that then makes switching the alarm off a bit of a faff!

• Reply 31 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Troll post. Absolutely no reason for them to do this.

--------

What the hell is happening in the AI forums? I've been on here for years and have recently noticed more and more people posting knee-jerk "Troll Post!" every time there is even a hint of somebody questioning Apple. Give it a break and allow people to vent some criticism.

• Reply 32 of 46
    yeah....

only they failed to do this for iPhone 6s buyers who were restoring their phones from either iCloud or iTunes backups.

For them, the 35meg 9.01 update had to happen before using the phone and became a 2gig update - with no notification such that it appeared your phone had locked up and failed to restore.

Note: I switched to an iTunes Restore after 2 "failed" attempts and realised it was downloading this 2 gig 9.01 update - after which I also realised this was probably due to my restore file being from my old phone which had I had updated to 9.01 a few days before.

All in all it was a most uninformed process - one which also meant I lost all my Health data - since I haven't used iTunes to backup in years and so was unaware and also not advised during backup that because encrypted backup was off by default - most everything BUT health data was backed up.

Discovered that the next day when I went in to see how it was improved and after I had factory wiped my 5s so that my partner could set it up for herself
  • Reply 33 of 46
    boredumb wrote: »
    "In a bid to drive the already-impressive iOS upgrade rate even higher"...
    Actually, I hope they don't make it more "inline with OSX"...
    I haven't yet upgraded to 10.10.3 because of general concerns about photo collections and streams.

what concerns are those?
  • Reply 34 of 46

I just wish Apple offered incremental updates for the built-in apps in legacy versions of iOS.
    At least security updates or fixes for crashes, e.g., Safari on iPad1 with Apple's very own Swift Developer blog page.

if you're waiting for updates to iPad 1 software, you're going to be very disappointed.
  • Reply 35 of 46
    Android (even windows phone)have been doing this for years. *Rolling eyes*
  • Reply 36 of 46
    tenlytenly Posts: 710member
    jbdragon wrote: »
    Well hopefully that won't happen!   Microsoft is forcing automatic updtes with Windows 10.  Google has been doing Automatic updates with Chrome forever.  Lets hope for better testing before throwing a auto update release out there.  Otherwise everyone with a iphone could be screwed at once, instead of a few people who warn everyone else to NOT get that update!!!!

You're confusing "auto" updates with "simultaneous" updates. Just because something is automatic doesn't mean it happens for everyone simultaneously. Apple will most likely pilot the update to a subset of users and then when they're sure it hasn't caused major problems trigger it on the rest of the devices - perhaps 10% at a time over a window of a few days (or at least a few hours!). This even happens now with the manual updates. There have been times when an update has been announced as available and some of my friends get it sooner than others. I've seen differences in availability up to 6 hours with previous updates.
  • Reply 37 of 46
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

Will that be as critical if they bump their minimum storage to 32GB?

they could bump the minimum storage to 320GB and it would still not be enough to make everyone happy. Cause some folks don't understand the concept of deleting

• Reply 38 of 46
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

they could bump the minimum storage to 320GB and it would still not be enough to make everyone happy. Cause some folks don't understand the concept of deleting

It’s more like the tech illuminati have deemed the 16GB iPhone an abomination so if you don’t jump on their bandwagon and trash Apple for it you’re not ‘hip.’ It’s also apparent that more and more AI posters are pretty much dissatisfied with anything Apple does anymore. I really wonder what their thought processes are for sticking with a platform they are not happy with anymore... ever. 

Criticism is one thing. Bitching and whining for Steve to come back from the dead is another thing altogether... and sick.

• Reply 39 of 46
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by websnap View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by DipDog3 View Post

I have never had, nor heard of (unless jailbroken – then all bets are off) an update failing. At all. And I am a day one user of iOS. 

This is truly not something to be concerned about.

The iOS 9.0 update failed for a lot of people, myself included, due to an issue where the code at the "Slide to Upgrade" prompt was unresponsive.

In fact, the fix for that update bug was the number one item in the list of 9.0.1 bug fixes:

Quote:

Fixes an issue where some users could not complete setup assistant after upgrading.

What color is the sky in that fantasy world you live in?

• Reply 40 of 46
    dipdog3 wrote: »

This is what Apple Watch is for!