Twitter CEO Dick Costolo to resign, 140-character limit lifted for direct messages

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member
    I hope he did his resignation letter in 140 characters or less. :smokey:
  • Reply 22 of 28
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Reply 23 of 28
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I hate that Twitter is in such a mess. On CNBC yesterday everyone was saying Google should buy them. If that ever happened it would truly be a sad day. The only hope would be that the government would never approve such a deal.
  • Reply 24 of 28
    popnfreshpopnfresh Posts: 139member
    ecats wrote: »
    It's an odd situation, but nearly any metrics you'd consider twitter a success but, because wall street expects twitter to be the next facebook, it's not getting good press.

Nonsense. What Wall Street expects is something Twitter has never generated: Profit.

Despite its popularity, Twitter has always been a money losing venture. No company can bleed cash forever and survive.
  • Reply 25 of 28
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    It's only for direct messages which do not appear on the time line.

Oh, that makes more sense now. Thanks I missed that.
  • Reply 26 of 28
    I always suspected it actually had a beneficial effect in that it made people have to actually learn to be concise. Now Twitter is going to be filled with rambling and it may well have a detrimental effect IMHO.

Agreed! The concept was supposed to be similar to a SMS (text message) on a phone, not as a free-for-all blog service. I hope everyone puts a TL;DR synopsis in their tweets, because I don't have time for 10K char tweets.:no:
  • Reply 27 of 28
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Reply 28 of 28
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by NanoAkron View Post

Raised from 140 to 10,000.

Soooo...email basically?

E-mail has a character limit? I thought it was just limited to the size of message that could be sent by a given server.